The Student Room Group

How to apply to uni with an a level you are self-teaching?

Im in y12 currently doing maths,further maths,politics and psychology. I want to start independatly studying a-level philosophy and taking the exam at an exam centre in y13, but i was wondering, will there be a way to get a predicted grade for my uni application and to get this included in my offers?
Reply 1
Original post by pitchf0rk
Im in y12 currently doing maths,further maths,politics and psychology. I want to start independatly studying a-level philosophy and taking the exam at an exam centre in y13, but i was wondering, will there be a way to get a predicted grade for my uni application and to get this included in my offers?

Why would you even consider taking 5 A levels? It's pointless.

Universities only want 3 a levels, or 2 a levels and 2 as levels depending on the university. There’s absolutely no point in doing five, you’ll stress yourself out for more than it’s worth. It doesn’t make you look better either as the extras are dis guarded from your applications.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by greentiger
Universities only want 3 a levels, or 2 a levels and 2 as levels depending on the university. There’s absolutely no point in doing five, you’ll stress yourself out for more than it’s worth. It doesn’t make you look better either as the extras are dis guarded from your applications.

I'm self-teaching A-Level Philosophy, because its something that im a lot more intrested in that any of my other subjects at school and therefore I think i could do better in it that some of my other subjects, its also what i want to study at uni, additionally i have no choice but to do 4 at school, because students who do further maths must also do 3 other subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Why would you even consider taking 5 A levels? It's pointless.

I'm self-teaching A-Level Philosophy, because its something that im a lot more intrested in that any of my other subjects at school and therefore I think i could do better in it that some of my other subjects, its also what i want to study at uni, additionally i have no choice but to do 4 at school, because students who do further maths must also do 3 other subjects.

If you’re doing philosophy at university and are 100% certain of this, you do not need to do further maths. You could potentially drop this and continue doing the four total a levels including learning philosophy at home. Or you could even drop two A Levels and fast track philosophy. Most places allow fast tracking which is when you do year one and year two in one year so you could do this potentially in year thirteen.

Usually for subjects like philosophy you don’t always need to have studied it for A Level to pursue it at university, but this again will depend on the universities you look into.

Find some potential universities before you do this as 5 A Levels is a huge challenge and unnecessary a lot of the time.
Reply 6

Drop Further Maths then ...
Reply 7
Original post by greentiger
If you’re doing philosophy at university and are 100% certain of this, you do not need to do further maths. You could potentially drop this and continue doing the four total a levels including learning philosophy at home. Or you could even drop two A Levels and fast track philosophy. Most places allow fast tracking which is when you do year one and year two in one year so you could do this potentially in year thirteen.

Usually for subjects like philosophy you don’t always need to have studied it for A Level to pursue it at university, but this again will depend on the universities you look into.

Find some potential universities before you do this as 5 A Levels is a huge challenge and unnecessary a lot of the time.

The problem is, is that im doing philosophy seperatley from school and my school doesnt running it and isnt willing to like endorse that so i wont be able to drop 2, and for some reason they wont let me drop further maths alone either. also i wouldnt be able to fast track philosophy as I havent started it too long ago and im not sure if its reasonable to be able to learn the majority of the course by may
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Drop Further Maths then ...

my school doesnt allow that
Reply 9
my school doesnt allow that

Why not if you take another instead - that is crazy. Get parents involved.
(I'd agree with the people urging you to drop further maths)

In answer to your question:
Predicted grades are part of your reference. Your referee will be asked to provide a predicted grade for each "pending" qualification. They are OPTIONAL. A referee can choose to enter predictions for all the pending quals or just for those taught by their college.

So if you want a predicted grade included in your application for a self taught A level then you'll need to negotiate with whoever will be providing your reference to find out what information and evidence they require in order to provide a prediction.

Alternatively if they're unwilling to provide a prediction at all for a self taught A level then you can ask them to include a sentence along the lines of "pitchf0rk is studying Philosophy A level privately and we are therefore unable to provide a predicted grade. However they have informed us that their target grade for this A level is X"

When you complete your UCAS application you'll need to add the exam centre you'll be sitting the exam with as a place of study. Add it as part time attendance for May-August. Once you've done that then you can add your self study A level to that place of study and the months/study mode will make it clear that you're sitting the exam only and not getting tuition.

Quick Reply

Latest