The Student Room Group

Oxford MBA Chances? Help please :C

Someone please help me out and give me an honest opinion about my chances of getting accepted into Oxford for MBA. It has always been my dream to study there, and soon I’ll be applying for the 2025 intake. I decided to take the leap and transition from a traditional medical career to MBA with hopes to pursue business consultancy in the healthcare field.

I haven’t taken the GMAT yet, but have some pertinent details about my current care regardless.

Background on me: I'm currently a working medical student at the top university in my country (300+ world rank) (SE Asia), with 5 years work experience in sales and operations for a healthcare firm. Also have 2 years experience as a freelance tutor with 1000+ students. Havent taken the GMAT but I'm aiming for a 700+ score especially since I used to be a tutor for a similar kind of exam here. In that similar exam (for med school admission), I scored in the 99+th percentile so I’m quite confident I can achieve my desired score. Kind of unsure how i'll spin the whole med school story in my applications essay, but suffice to say I think I'll be an interesting candidate given the background. I’ll also be a licensed doctor by the time I’ll be applying.

Demographics: 25F Asian (Filipino-Chinese)

Undergrad BS Biology spec. Biomedical research

Postgrad Doctor of Medicine (MD)

GMAT SCORE: taking in May, hoping for a 700+

Undergrad GPA: 2.876

Graduate/med school GPA: 3.16

Extracurriculars: Student council, Red cross volunteer, environmental organizations, marketing head for several campus orgs, congress and UN, co-authored a resolution passed into law in my country, socmed influencer (lmao)

I know it's a minus to not have worked for a big firm, but I dont know about the stance Oxford MBA has for students with graduate degrees and/or doctors. Another thing I'm worried about its that I've only received one promotion during my work. Any advice would be super duper very much appreciated! uwu
Original post by Anonymous #1
Someone please help me out and give me an honest opinion about my chances of getting accepted into Oxford for MBA. It has always been my dream to study there, and soon I’ll be applying for the 2025 intake. I decided to take the leap and transition from a traditional medical career to MBA with hopes to pursue business consultancy in the healthcare field.

I haven’t taken the GMAT yet, but have some pertinent details about my current care regardless.

Background on me: I'm currently a working medical student at the top university in my country (300+ world rank) (SE Asia), with 5 years work experience in sales and operations for a healthcare firm. Also have 2 years experience as a freelance tutor with 1000+ students. Havent taken the GMAT but I'm aiming for a 700+ score especially since I used to be a tutor for a similar kind of exam here. In that similar exam (for med school admission), I scored in the 99+th percentile so I’m quite confident I can achieve my desired score. Kind of unsure how i'll spin the whole med school story in my applications essay, but suffice to say I think I'll be an interesting candidate given the background. I’ll also be a licensed doctor by the time I’ll be applying.

Extracurriculars: Student council, Red cross volunteer, environmental organizations, marketing head for several campus orgs, congress and UN, co-authored a resolution passed into law in my country, socmed influencer (lmao)

I know it's a minus to not have worked for a big firm, but I dont know about the stance Oxford MBA has for students with graduate degrees and/or doctors. Another thing I'm worried about its that I've only received one promotion during my work. Any advice would be super duper very much appreciated! uwu

I suspect your chances are very slim, primarily because of your lack of apparent professional experience. If you are 25, about to qualify as a Doctor, then you haven't been a full time professional in sales and operations in the way they are expecting. Plus - have you seen the fees? Who will be sponsoring you?

Have you tried searching on the course website, LinkedIn etc to see if you can find profiles They have over 300 on the course, so I guess they can't all be Oxbridge, HYPS and MBB types?

You should be mostly concerned about funding your Oxford University MBA.

The academics are perfect, and make you a strong applicant.

But how have you done 5 years of work experience, despite being a recent graduate?

Perhaps give it 2 or 3 more years to submit a stronger application? 😉
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888

But how have you done 5 years of work experience, despite being a recent graduate?

Hi OP here! Thank you so much for the feedback. Funding isn’t a problem, since I saved up the funds to be able to fully fund the degree.

As for the work experience, I did 3 years of full time work the same time I was having didactics classes in med school. (Pandemic online setup really helped in handling multiple engagements) When I started training in the hospital, my work tapered down to part-time.

Would the fact that I was working while studying be an issue in the application?

Hi OP here! Thank you so much for the feedback. Funding isn’t a problem, since I saved up the funds to be able to fully fund the degree.

As for the work experience, I did 3 years of full time work the same time I was having didactics classes in med school. (Pandemic online setup really helped in handling multiple engagements) When I started training in the hospital, my work tapered down to part-time.

Would the fact that I was working while studying be an issue in the application?
Please apply!!! 🙂 Your academic qualifications and work experience is perfect. Also, you can fund yourself too. So you will be a strong applicant.

I am going to apply as a Mature Student from London, UK, for Law at Oxford University in October 2027 and then in 2034 an MBA and BCL and 3 other MSc's to boost my chances of achieving 2 Master's degrees on the 1+1 MBA Program at Oxford University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending