The Student Room Group

getting into physics a-level

I'm hoping to do A-Level Physics at my school's Sixth Form, the grade requirements are:

Triple - 6 in Physics, another 6 & a 5
Combined - 6-6

I'm currently in triple science but likely going to be moved down to combined as I don't think I did great in my mocks (I get results on 29th Jan). I'm okay at Physics (I enjoy it and happy to put the work in for A-Level), I'm okay at Biology (I don't really enjoy it but I understand some topics), but I'm awful at Chemistry (apparently is unusual to be the weakest science but I just don't understand or enjoy it at all). I'm really happy to put the work in to get higher grades in all 3 elements, because even though Physics isn't necessary for my wanted degree at uni (BSc Software Engineering), but I know it can help - I'm planning to take Computer Science & Mathematics as my other 2 options, and with my backup being Business (Economics isn't offered), I know Physics is the better option.

Is there any advice? Should I try to stay in Triple Science or would Combined be the better/easier option?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
I would say stay in combined. You’ve already learnt the content and there’s still plenty of time to improve!
Reply 2
Original post by Student1#
I would say stay in combined. You’ve already learnt the content and there’s still plenty of time to improve!

Ahh I meant stay in triple*
Reply 3
Original post by olliedr
I'm hoping to do A-Level Physics at my school's Sixth Form, the grade requirements are:

Triple - 6 in Physics, another 6 & a 5
Combined - 6-6

I'm currently in triple science but likely going to be moved down to combined as I don't think I did great in my mocks (I get results on 29th Jan). I'm okay at Physics (I enjoy it and happy to put the work in for A-Level), I'm okay at Biology (I don't really enjoy it but I understand some topics), but I'm awful at Chemistry (apparently is unusual to be the weakest science but I just don't understand or enjoy it at all). I'm really happy to put the work in to get higher grades in all 3 elements, because even though Physics isn't necessary for my wanted degree at uni (BSc Software Engineering), but I know it can help - I'm planning to take Computer Science & Mathematics as my other 2 options, and with my backup being Business (Economics isn't offered), I know Physics is the better option.

Is there any advice? Should I try to stay in Triple Science or would Combined be the better/easier option?

hey, i'd say stay in triple as you always have time to improve your grades and for sure can meet the a-level requirements, i had pretty bad grades through year 10-11 and almost dropped down too (had 4's/barely 5's in chem + bio, only physics was my ok subject with a 7) and still came out with all 8's in the end so don't worry - coming from a year 13 who does physics at a-level with chem and maths + going to do engineering at uni :smile:
Reply 4
Ahh I meant stay in triple*

Honestly don't know if I have a choice at this point. If my school decides to move me down to combined I can't stay in triple as they don't want to take the risk.
Reply 5
Original post by olliedr

Honestly don't know if I have a choice at this point. If my school decides to move me down to combined I can't stay in triple as they don't want to take the risk.

I see whatever you feel most comfortable doing then. But if you do want to stay in triple I don’t think they can rlly force you to switch atp 😊
Reply 6
I see whatever you feel most comfortable doing then. But if you do want to stay in triple I don’t think they can rlly force you to switch atp 😊

Unfortunately they can, our triple classes are currently “to be confirmed” for after our mock grades, and then they put us into final triple/combined classes. We haven’t learnt the extra triple content yet.

Quick Reply

Latest