The Student Room Group

4 A-levels with Physics for Maths degree?

Hoping to apply to a top uni for Maths. At the moment I'm thinking of Maths, FM, and Biology. But I don't know whether I'd be disadvantaged because of only having 3 subjects, and the latter isn't as Maths-based. I think I may have asked this before, but I was wondering now whether Physics A/AS is worth it as a 4th subject, or whether it's better to just focus on 3?

Thanks.
Original post by mossyrevelations
Hoping to apply to a top uni for Maths. At the moment I'm thinking of Maths, FM, and Biology. But I don't know whether I'd be disadvantaged because of only having 3 subjects, and the latter isn't as Maths-based. I think I may have asked this before, but I was wondering now whether Physics A/AS is worth it as a 4th subject, or whether it's better to just focus on 3?

Thanks.

Hi @mossyrevelations,

Typically, three A-Level subjects are sufficient for any course- most students opt for a fourth subject to 'stand out'. Yes, this may increase their likelihood of acceptance, hence why many students take four A-Levels. If you believe that you are capable of juggling four A-Levels then go ahead, I can see that you have a passion for a Maths degree.

But if you're considering settling for three subjects, but fear of reducing your likelihood of getting accepted, there are many other ways to prove your capabilities aside from acquiring 4 grades. You could potentially pick up online courses that relate to maths, or even attend any physical or online competitions that relate to maths. By participating in extra-curricular in your own time, not only does it demonstrate your passion in the course and the field, but it also gives you lots to write about when it comes to your personal statement.

Four subjects aren't a bad choice, it shows your diligence and commitment, but it can get overwhelming and difficult to manage. Three subjects are just as fine and doesn't discredit your diligence either, it also gives you more time to dedicate your time towards your passion in other ways.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @mossyrevelations,

Typically, three A-Level subjects are sufficient for any course- most students opt for a fourth subject to 'stand out'. Yes, this may increase their likelihood of acceptance, hence why many students take four A-Levels. If you believe that you are capable of juggling four A-Levels then go ahead, I can see that you have a passion for a Maths degree.

But if you're considering settling for three subjects, but fear of reducing your likelihood of getting accepted, there are many other ways to prove your capabilities aside from acquiring 4 grades. You could potentially pick up online courses that relate to maths, or even attend any physical or online competitions that relate to maths. By participating in extra-curricular in your own time, not only does it demonstrate your passion in the course and the field, but it also gives you lots to write about when it comes to your personal statement.

Four subjects aren't a bad choice, it shows your diligence and commitment, but it can get overwhelming and difficult to manage. Three subjects are just as fine and doesn't discredit your diligence either, it also gives you more time to dedicate your time towards your passion in other ways.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Thank you so much, that's really helpful!
I don't suppose I could ask, whether you think doing Physics as a fourth A-level would be better than an EPQ? My school makes us do an EPQ, and I did wonder about doing a Maths-based artefact one. At the same time though, I don't know whether it would be better to try and allow them to make me do a 4th A-level instead, so I get more time to do that. I worry that if I choose to do any Physics-based modules as part of my Maths degree, I'd not know enough to do well if I didn't do Physics A-level?

I know an EPQ can get you a lower offer/show your passion, so I'm not sure whether the trade off would be worth it. Sorry for the bother, no worries if you don't want to reply. Thanks again :biggrin:

Thanks.

It's best to focus on three. You need to look at the Entry Requirements section on the course pages of the unis you would like to apply to. It is more likely that you need to achieve top grades in maths and FM, and then another A level in any subject (but do check this). There is no point taking a fourth A level if it is not required as the extra workload could result in you achieving lower grades overall.
Reply 4
NO University wants or 'prefers' 4 A levels.
Stick to 3 - AAA will always look better than ABBB.
Original post by McGinger
NO University wants or 'prefers' 4 A levels.
Stick to 3 - AAA will always look better than ABBB.

Thanks to you and @normaw, appreciate it! Don't suppose I could ask again, I completely get your points, but what if I want to take physics modules in my degree? Would that require at the minimum AS-physics, or would they be designed for anyone? Thanks again, sorry for the bother 🙂
(Especially instead of an EPQ, too, as obviously that's going to take effort)
(edited 5 months ago)
I'm a Cambridge Maths student and I didn't take Physics as my others were Chemistry and French, but I have a friend whose other A-Level was Music. I can only speak for Cambridge but it really is just your Mathematical ability that they care about and Maths and FM A-Level (alongside any entrance exams you take) are generally sufficient.

When it comes to taking Physics modules, I don't know how that will affect it, as, at least at my uni, the more applied courses are taught in a purely Mathematical sense, i.e. the Physics is basically just abstracted away and I'm focusing on the calculations. There is no option (at Cambridge, there may be at other unis) to take the same Physics courses that the Physics students (NatScis) take other than in the first year, but that is a specific option you apply for (which may require Physics at some colleges). In general, I would say that not having Physics at A-Level has not disadvantaged me whatsoever.
Original post by melancollege
I'm a Cambridge Maths student and I didn't take Physics as my others were Chemistry and French, but I have a friend whose other A-Level was Music. I can only speak for Cambridge but it really is just your Mathematical ability that they care about and Maths and FM A-Level (alongside any entrance exams you take) are generally sufficient.

When it comes to taking Physics modules, I don't know how that will affect it, as, at least at my uni, the more applied courses are taught in a purely Mathematical sense, i.e. the Physics is basically just abstracted away and I'm focusing on the calculations. There is no option (at Cambridge, there may be at other unis) to take the same Physics courses that the Physics students (NatScis) take other than in the first year, but that is a specific option you apply for (which may require Physics at some colleges). In general, I would say that not having Physics at A-Level has not disadvantaged me whatsoever.

Hey that's really useful, thanks so much, really appreciate it! Very good to know :smile:.
Reply 8
Thanks to you and @normaw, appreciate it! Don't suppose I could ask again, I completely get your points, but what if I want to take physics modules in my degree? Would that require at the minimum AS-physics, or would they be designed for anyone? Thanks again, sorry for the bother 🙂
(Especially instead of an EPQ, too, as obviously that's going to take effort)

If the Uni thinks you need Physics, that will be part of any entry requirements.
Unis don't have 'secret' entry requirements - everything that is essential or preferred must be published on the website.

New students on any degree course all start at different levels of knowledge - because they have all done different qualifications in different countries under different school systems. So much of your first year is always 'consolidation of knowledge' - what do you know, where are the gaps, and making sure everyone is up to the same levels before going into the 2nd year.

Quick Reply

Latest