The Student Room Group

HELPPP

hiya, i want to do the following a level subjects: Economics, Further Maths, Chem, Physics but i want to know if to do futher maths i need to take maths a level aswell. also i am not sure what career would be complimentary to these subjects. i am thinking about choosing law instead of chemistry however i have no idea what a level law is about. helppp
Hi, just to let you know, if you did decide law is the degree you want to study, you don’t have to do it at A level, as it’s not a requirement :smile:

An essay subject might be beneficial for you
Reply 2
Original post by nabihahussain
hiya, i want to do the following a level subjects: Economics, Further Maths, Chem, Physics but i want to know if to do futher maths i need to take maths a level aswell. also i am not sure what career would be complimentary to these subjects. i am thinking about choosing law instead of chemistry however i have no idea what a level law is about. helppp

You cannot do Further Maths without taking Maths A level. So you'll need to drop one of the others.
Reply 3
Hi OP, speaking from experience as I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics - to do Further Maths you will have to do Single Maths - there is little point in doing Further without taking Single as typically you do the whole of the Single Course in your first year of A levels and the Further Course in your second year building upon the mathematical skills and foundation you have built doing Single Maths.

If you do want to take double Maths, obviously you then have a decision to make about the other two subjects you take provided you want to take 4. There are pros and cons to everything and it also depends on what you want to do after A levels but I appreciate you might not know yet and it's a big decision to make.

From my experience, doing Double Maths is critical if you want to get onto a high quality uni course for anything maths based. I'm going to Warwick for Economics and the double maths will have been critical in securing that even though the university page says otherwise.

The same applies for Engineering where I would say doing double maths is hugely more beneficial than doing Physics - from your choices above and depending on your preference I would say don't take Physics although if you are to do Eng then it will require some catching up. Personally I enjoyed Physics the least of all my A levels. If you want to do Chemical Eng then obviously Chemistry is required.

Economics at A level is almost wholly essay based from a double maths perspective. The maths was minimal to say the least - this changes when you get to university where the majority of the course uses Maths. If you want to pursue law further down the line I would recommend taking Economics A level to develop your essay writing skills - or any other essay subject. Also in my opinion doing A level law, like doing A level Economics might help when going to University for either of the subjects but overall doing a solid and broad selection of A levels is more important than doing something for a degree you aren't even sure you will take! I was only thinking about Engineering or Economics at the start of A levels and even then I wasn't particularly sure about either
Reply 4
Original post by tom.lxxx
Hi OP, speaking from experience as I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics - to do Further Maths you will have to do Single Maths - there is little point in doing Further without taking Single as typically you do the whole of the Single Course in your first year of A levels and the Further Course in your second year building upon the mathematical skills and foundation you have built doing Single Maths.

You are not allowed to take FMaths without taking Maths. [I teach Maths]

I disagree about needing FMaths for Engineering - the best courses are non-RG with a year in industry.

Quick Reply

Latest