The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Pros and Cons

Just received a offer from Durham and will probably have it as my first choice
Before going to Durham, just curious about the pros and cons of Durham?
Original post by Anonymous #1

The only major con I can think of atm is the price of accommodation. Other than that, I love the city, the opportunities and my course so have really enjoyed being here.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
The only major con I can think of atm is the price of accommodation. Other than that, I love the city, the opportunities and my course so have really enjoyed being here.

Thanks
Mud, everywhere is literally mud. Contact time is minimal, my course is 8 hours a week and my psychology bud only has 4 hours on campus and 4 hours pre-recorded lectures. If I were you I would look elsewhere if you value your money, although that is entirely up to you to find out what the course you are interested in has. Durham has become very lazy since covid when we were all locked down.
(edited 4 months ago)
Amazing Uni. Lots of contact time, beautiful city,
. Collegiate system really great for settling in quickly. Don’t stress about which college as everyone loves their college in end. Accommodation in yr 2 quite pricey. But otherwise I highly recommend.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey there

I've lived in Durham for more than 2 years now so can give you a credible answer.

Pros:

I would say that the collegiate system is one of the best things Durham has to offer- it gives you a good opportunity to socialize and make friends at a very grassroots level. Not only will you meet people in your flat/hall but also others when you eat meals in a catered college. Joining college-level societies and the JCR are a great way to explore what the college has to offer. Colleges will basically be your home away from home and you'll get two-tier support from them including welfare and financial. College formals and balls are another great thing- in formals, you get to wear gowns over a formal dress and eat a three-course meal with your friends.

There's loads of extracurriculars to get involved in including sports, music, theatre and charity fashion shows. These are available both at the central uni level and at the college level so everybody, including beginners, have a chance to explore something new without feeling judged.

The city is extremely pretty and walkable. Unlike bigger cities, you won't have to spend money on travel!

Cons:

There's a lot to get involved in but it can be quite expensive. JCR membership, society membership, Team Durham membership, ball tickets etc can take a toll on your purse easily if you don't manage your finances well. However, the college's finance team offer scholarships and bursaries to support such costs. Each college has different bursaries but it's definitely worth speaking to them if you think you'll benefit from one.

Durham in itself is pretty small so you can easily run out of things to do here. But an easy fix to this is going to Newcastle (which many students do esp for night outs) and exploring the outskirts like Bishop Auckland, Ushaw Moor, etc.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest