The Student Room Group

Can’t decide masters choices for computer science

Hello,

I’m in my final year of comp sci at a Russell group university.

I have some offers that I’m considering for some part time MSc programs:

- Artificial Intelligence MSc @ University of Huddersfield (Online)

- MSc Data Science @ City, University of London (in person)

- MSc Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence @ Northumbria University (online)

(And some others like Glasgow, Aberdeen but these are too expensive)

And furthermore I’m considering the online masters from:

- MSc Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence @ University of York (online)

- MSc Artificial Intelligence @ Bath (online)

- MSc Data Science @ Birbeck, University of London (in person)

- MSc Advanced Computer Science @ University of Hertfordshire (online)

- MSc Computer Science @ Essex (online)

The problem I have with York and Northumbria though is that they supposedly outsource the teaching and that it is very low quality and difficult to follow.

The courses at Huddersfield and Hertfordshire and are not outsourced, so they sound the best but their low reputation concerns me.

The London ones in person are possible for me to commute to.

I guess I’m looking for some advice, thoughts, reviews (if you’ve studied any of these programs), recommendations.

I haven't studied your specific programme but have been a student with the University of Essex online for a few years and I have found it amazing and am happy to answer any questions you may have!
Original post by Jared223
Hello,

- MSc Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence @ Northumbria University (online)

- MSc Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence @ University of York (online)

The problem I have with York and Northumbria though is that they supposedly outsource the teaching and that it is very low quality and difficult to follow.

The courses at Huddersfield and Hertfordshire and are not outsourced, so they sound the best but their low reputation concerns me.

I guess I’m looking for some advice, thoughts, reviews (if you’ve studied any of these programs), recommendations.

Hiya @Jared223 !
Congratulations on all your offers 🤩
Essex is 9th in the UK for research impact in computer science (Grade Point Average, REF 2021) and Top 250 for Computer Science in THE World University Rankings by Subject 2024.

Our MSc Computer Science will give you the opportunity to explore common computing trends and current developments, helping you gain an understanding of the latest software perspectives relevant to computing architecture and data representation.
You’ll also develop practical skills and technical knowledge across a range of computing topics, while building on key leadership skills such as problem solving, research and teamwork.
Some of the topics you will study through your degree include:

-the historical, architectural and practical perspectives of computer science

-techniques and tools for designing, implementing, testing and debugging objected oriented programs in languages such as Python and Java

-the underpinning concepts of Software Engineering Project Management

-an introduction to Behaviour Driven Development (BDD)

-security and governance principles and standards

Our degrees are accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional (CITP). 🎓

The department wants students to feel supported and ensure you are confident with your future so you will have the opportunity to attend guest lectures as well as have access to the careers team and career Hub.

I hope this helps with your decision.
Essex Official Rep- Cat😊
Hello,

Hi @Jared223,

I replied to this question over on the other thread, but just popping it here too in case you missed the other one!

Great to hear you're considering Herts for our online MSc Advanced Computer Science course 🙂 - we thought we'd highlight some of our credentials so that you can be assured of the high quality teaching, student experience and internationally recognised qualification you would gain here:

⭐️ Herts ranked 2nd in the UK for overall satisfaction and UH Online is also 2nd for graduate employability in the most recent Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023)
⭐️ In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (2021), 90% of computer science research at Herts was ranked as world-leading, with Herts now in the top 25% of all universities for research impact
⭐️ 93% of our postgraduates are in work or further study following completion of their degree - we are proud of the strong employment prospects that a qualification from Herts offers

Do read our course page to find out more, and you would also be most welcome to join our next open event in March to speak directly to our academics: you can book here.

Hope this helps, but do let us know if you have any specific questions.

All the best with your decision!

Gaynor
Marketing and Communications
Hello,

Hello @Jared223,

Congratulations on your offers to study at Master's level. It's great to hear that you are considering the our BCS accredited Master's in Artificial Intelligence: Artificial Intelligence MSc (Distance Learning) (hud.ac.uk)

At Huddersfield we have a reputation for teaching excellence, so you can rest assured that you will be taught by experienced and knowledgeable academics:

Our staff rank in the top three in England for the proportion who hold doctorates, have higher degrees, and hold teaching qualifications.

We are first in the country for National Teaching Fellowships, which mark the UK’s best lecturers in Higher Education, winning a total of 22 since 2008.

To help you with your decision making, I thought it would be useful to point you in the direction of some of our Student Profiles so that you can hear from our students themselves about their experiences on the course:

I hope that you find this information useful, and if you do have any other questions about the course, please get in touch with us at: [email protected].

Good luck with your shortlisting and selecting a course.

Best wishes,

Elliot

Marketing Officer - Distance Learning
University of Huddersfield
(edited 2 months ago)
Hello,

Hello,

If it helps you decide there are some online lectures public lectures run with York you can attend here which will hopefully give you a flavour of York. I'm sure you've already looked but there's a lot of information on the department here. If you want to chat with current students about their experience of York you can do so here and one of the students on this platform is a computer scientist too so she'll be very knowledgeable about your course/department. Good luck with whatever you do :smile:
Reply 6
I think City University of London is good as it’s in-person.
Reply 7
Why do a masters in CS? Do you think they are worth the money?
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Why do a masters in CS? Do you think they are worth the money?

Yes. In fact some AI/Data Science jobs require a masters in those respective fields. It also helps me if I want to move country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending