The Student Room Group

Psychiatry work experience year 10

Hi so I want to become a psychiatrist when I’m older and I’m not sure what to do for work experience? What work experience should I look at?
Original post by edenzinthemoon
Hi so I want to become a psychiatrist when I’m older and I’m not sure what to do for work experience? What work experience should I look at?

Hi there, you posted in the psychology forum but you're asking about psychiatry, which is a branch of Medicine. Are you interested in psychology, psychiatry, or do both still sound appealing? :smile:
Original post by Scotland Yard

Hi there, you posted in the psychology forum but you're asking about psychiatry, which is a branch of Medicine. Are you interested in psychology, psychiatry, or do both still sound appealing? :smile:

Both
Both

RIghto. For starters, you cannot really get any psychology-related work experience, nor do you need it, since psychology is an academic subject at university.

Medicine is another matter. You probably won't be able to find any work experience relating to it at your age though, you'll need to wait a little bit longer, I'm afraid - getting work experience at year 10 is awfully early, but it's nice that you're trying to get ahead of the curve. If you apply to medical schools, they really want to see you as being well-rounded and interested in Medicine as a whole. Nothing wrong with showing a particular interest in a particular specialty, but you really need to be interested in a little bit of everything! It's also very unlikely that you can find any specific work experience relating to psychiatry, but general medical work experience you can - and should - get, but a little later down the line. Any healthcare work experience will be good!

P.S.: Moved your thread over to the Medicine forum!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4

Get any medical work experience you can (as in, shadowing any doctor - doesn't have to be a psychiatrist).

It may be seven years before you can actually do psychiatry (medical school + Foundation Programme) so you have to make sure you are interested in the rest of medicine.

Check your local hospitals and get in touch with local GP surgeries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending