The Student Room Group

DPhil Biology 2024

Has anyone else had an interview for DPhil Biology?
Yep - several. I assume you have applied for a specific project.
Show you know the subject and be able to explain why you are interested in this particular project highlighting any previous research/study you've done that's relevant. Be curious and enthusiastic. Check out your supervisor's areas of interest and know a bit about that. Think about any questions you have esp anything relevant to getting the project done or further training/development goals.

At one interview, with no notice, I was also shuffled round and interviewed for a couple of projects I hadn't applied for and that I did not want so had to be diplomatic - enthusiastic generally but very clear my interest was specific. Worth knowing what else they've got and why/why not you'd do them.

Use the interview to assess whether it's the right fit for you too. You are going to have to work with this supervisor closely and spend 3-4 years thinking of nothing else. What's the rest of the team like - you'll probably share a lab? And the department? Take a tour if offered. Think about whether the supervisor has the experience and resources to support the project? Some projects will be very tightly specified, maybe part of a bigger research drive, others more standalone and flexible - which do you prefer, will you cope with more or less support?
Reply 2
Original post by AdviceSponge
Yep - several. I assume you have applied for a specific project.
Show you know the subject and be able to explain why you are interested in this particular project highlighting any previous research/study you've done that's relevant. Be curious and enthusiastic. Check out your supervisor's areas of interest and know a bit about that. Think about any questions you have esp anything relevant to getting the project done or further training/development goals.

At one interview, with no notice, I was also shuffled round and interviewed for a couple of projects I hadn't applied for and that I did not want so had to be diplomatic - enthusiastic generally but very clear my interest was specific. Worth knowing what else they've got and why/why not you'd do them.

Use the interview to assess whether it's the right fit for you too. You are going to have to work with this supervisor closely and spend 3-4 years thinking of nothing else. What's the rest of the team like - you'll probably share a lab? And the department? Take a tour if offered. Think about whether the supervisor has the experience and resources to support the project? Some projects will be very tightly specified, maybe part of a bigger research drive, others more standalone and flexible - which do you prefer, will you cope with more or less support?

Thanks for the reply! Did you apply for 2024 entry? I had my interview last week 🙂
Original post by rr1223
Thanks for the reply! Did you apply for 2024 entry? I had my interview last week 🙂

I started one decades ago and quit about 6 months in - had a lovely supervisor and was passionate about the project, but the dept had none of the resources I needed to actually perform the research (hence some of my warnings) and it became clear it was a huge to impossible undertaking. There were a couple of labs abroad that did have and it would have relied on their goodwill and cooperation to support the beginnings of a rival lab... I really enjoyed the literature review and that versus three months of trying to get experiments up and running clarified for me what I enjoyed (synthesis of information) so I moved into journalism/publishing.

I applied for four projects at different unis at the same time and interviewed for three. The bonus unwanted interviews were in the dept I accepted.
Reply 4
Any recent updates? Do you know anyone who received their offer/rejection after the interview?
Reply 5
Original post by notaglie
Any recent updates? Do you know anyone who received their offer/rejection after the interview?

No not yet. Have you? When was your interview?
Reply 6
Original post by rr1223
No not yet. Have you? When was your interview?

I have not. Mine was on Friday the 9th, yours? I have read that one (1) person's upload button disappeared soon after their interview, but apparently more of us are still waiting to hear back or without any update at all.
Reply 7
I have not. Mine was on Friday the 9th, yours? I have read that one (1) person's upload button disappeared soon after their interview, but apparently more of us are still waiting to hear back or without any update at all.

Had mine on the 8th. Has everyone been interviewed do you think?
Reply 8
Original post by rr1223
Had mine on the 8th. Has everyone been interviewed do you think?

Not sure, but the few people that are active on this forum were interviewed on the 8th or the 9th.
Reply 9
Not sure, but the few people that are active on this forum were interviewed on the 8th or the 9th.

Hopefully we'll find out soon! Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by rr1223
Hopefully we'll find out soon! Good luck!

you too!
Reply 11
Anyone heard back?
Reply 12
Original post by rr1223
Anyone heard back?
Not yet, but my upload disappeared probably on Friday afternoon-evening. Do you have any news?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 13
Not yet, but my upload disappeared probably on Friday afternoon-evening. Do you have any news?
Not yet
Reply 14
I had my interview on February 9th. No word yet, though button is gone. I only noticed it earlier today.
Reply 15
I officially got the offer today. I've been accepted to the program! No word yet on funding though.
Original post by suram
I officially got the offer today. I've been accepted to the program! No word yet on funding though.

Have you had any updates on funding? I got an offer too but haven't heard anything yet.
Reply 17
Original post by AlicedSK
Have you had any updates on funding? I got an offer too but haven't heard anything yet.

Hi no update on funding as yet. Remaining hopeful though. Have you heard anything as yet?
Original post by suram
Hi no update on funding as yet. Remaining hopeful though. Have you heard anything as yet?

No updates beside an email from my supervisor 4 weeks ago that the department won't tell him anything. I'll give it until May before I start panicking but I've been following forums in case I see anyone get funding.

Quick Reply

Latest