The Student Room Group

I need help learning how to revise

So I'm in the middle of year 9 and I have exams coming up for science and I don't know how to revise properly and I don't understand exam styled questions so if anyone can give me some tips on how to revise, how long I should revise, and what type of books/materials will be useful, that would help me out alot!
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Eyad1
So I'm in the middle of year 9 and I have exams coming up for science and I don't know how to revise properly and I don't understand exam styled questions so if anyone can give me some tips on how to revise, how long I should revise, and what type of books/materials will be useful, that would help me out alot!
Thank you
Hey , i am in year 9 too!
I use cognito videos to understand the topic and i try out exam style questions from cognitos website - they have exam style questions for each and every topic!

Also we have a year 9 thread in tsr to help each other out xx
link to it - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7395287
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Alm_xo
Hey , i am in year 9 too!
I use cognito videos to understand the topic and i try out exam style questions from cognitos website - they have exam style questions for each and every topic!

Also we have a year 9 thread in tsr to help each other out xx
link to it - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7395287
Hey , imma try this out thank you for the advice
hello im going to be completely honest with you, i wouldn’t worry to much about revising in year 9 (obviously it wouldn’t be a issue if you do) because year 7-9 is the years you can kind of mess about and have fun in. i’m in year 11 currently and wish i focused more in year 10 bc i’ve always been a naughtier student spending 6 weeks on my year 10 in a behaviour school. however all of my friends who were just like me in year 9 messed about n what not are doing really well in there mocks getting 7-9’s by starting proper revision in year 10. your grade from this exam will not matter to ur future but the choice is yours! hope this helps even the slightest but im not saying do not revise im only saying it’s not something that is essential
Reply 4
Original post by jackjarvis29
hello im going to be completely honest with you, i wouldn’t worry to much about revising in year 9 (obviously it wouldn’t be a issue if you do) because year 7-9 is the years you can kind of mess about and have fun in. i’m in year 11 currently and wish i focused more in year 10 bc i’ve always been a naughtier student spending 6 weeks on my year 10 in a behaviour school. however all of my friends who were just like me in year 9 messed about n what not are doing really well in there mocks getting 7-9’s by starting proper revision in year 10. your grade from this exam will not matter to ur future but the choice is yours! hope this helps even the slightest but im not saying do not revise im only saying it’s not something that is essential
I mean what you said it right but if you really want to take triple science in year 10 , you have to do very well in year 9 to be put in triple science , unfortunately..
Reply 5
Original post by Alm_xo
I mean what you said it right but if you really want to take triple science in year 10 , you have to do very well in year 9 to be put in triple science , unfortunately..
Yeah I'm aiming for highest of grades in year 9 as I want to make it to triple science
Original post by Eyad1
Thank you
Hey! When I was in highschool i liked to make mind map summaries of each subtopic using the CGP revision guides before doing past paper questions on physics and maths tutor (don't know if these will be slightly harder than what you do in year 9). Also free science guy is absolutely amazing! When you get to GCSE level ensure you make full use of the specification as this will include absolutely everything you need to know. I don't know how helpful this will be for you as you are in year 9, but if you have any more questions just let me know 🙂 ( im in year 13 for context )
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Eyad1
Yeah I'm aiming for highest of grades in year 9 as I want to make it to triple science
i hope you will achieve it , i want to make it triple science too , only the top set gets it , we have two set 1's in school and i am in set 1 but there are a lot of ppl who are really good and i want to secure my place in set 1 in year 10 so i can do medicine in future and do a levels in bio , chem and maths hopefully
Reply 8
Original post by Alm_xo
i hope you will achieve it , i want to make it triple science too , only the top set gets it , we have two set 1's in school and i am in set 1 but there are a lot of ppl who are really good and i want to secure my place in set 1 in year 10 so i can do medicine in future and do a levels in bio , chem and maths hopefully
Litr the same here I'm set 2 and I need to be in set 1 by year 10 and I also wanting to study medicine I sure hope everything goes well for you and you achieve everything that you need.
Good luck with everything!
Reply 9
Original post by sadesdrury
Hey! When I was in highschool i liked to make mind map summaries of each subtopic using the CGP revision guides before doing past paper questions on physics and maths tutor (don't know if these will be slightly harder than what you do in year 9). Also free science guy is absolutely amazing! When you get to GCSE level ensure you make full use of the specification as this will include absolutely everything you need to know. I don't know how helpful this will be for you as you are in year 9, but if you have any more questions just let me know 🙂 ( im in year 13 for context )
Thanks I'll definitely try his videos the website and your mind map method just for some advice which cgp books would you suggest me buying for my studies in year 9 science?
Original post by Eyad1
Thanks I'll definitely try his videos the website and your mind map method just for some advice which cgp books would you suggest me buying for my studies in year 9 science?
Probably the key stage three science books (pretty sure this is the level you’re at in yr9), I can’t remember if i used these in year 9 but the GCSE ones were very helpful for me :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by sadesdrury
Probably the key stage three science books (pretty sure this is the level you’re at in yr9), I can’t remember if i used these in year 9 but the GCSE ones were very helpful for me :smile:
I'll try both thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by Eyad1
before you buy it , re think - like i said , i am in set 1 and in my school in year 9 you do combined science trilogy gcse syllabus. yours might be too . Ask your teachers first ( you don't want to waste your money on KS3 books ) If you really want to buy the book just confirm with your teacher if you do KS3 science or Combined Science
Reply 13
Original post by Alm_xo
before you buy it , re think - like i said , i am in set 1 and in my school in year 9 you do combined science trilogy gcse syllabus. yours might be too . Ask your teachers first ( you don't want to waste your money on KS3 books ) If you really want to buy the book just confirm with your teacher if you do KS3 science or Combined Science
Ok I'll ask tommorow thanks for looking out
Reply 14
Original post by Eyad1
Ok I'll ask tommorow thanks for looking out
you're welcome xx

Quick Reply

Latest