The Student Room Group

AS-Level Pulleys Maths Question Help Please

A small smooth pulley is suspended from a fixed point by a light chain. A light inextensible string passes over the pulley. Particles P and Q of masses 0.3 kg and m kg respectively, are attached to the opposite ends of the string. The particles are released from rest at a height of 0.2 m above horizontal ground with the string taut; the portions of the string not in contact with the pulley are vertical. P strikes the ground with speed 1.4 ms^-1. Subsequently P remains on the ground, and Q does not reach the pulley.

(i). Calculate the acceleration of P while it is in motion and the corresponding tension in the string [4]
(ii). Find the value of m. [3]
(iii). Calculate the greatest height of Q above the ground. [4]
(iv). It is given that the mass of the pulley is 0.5 kg. State the magnitude of the tension in the chain which supports the pulley...
(a). When P is in motion [2]
(b). When P is at rest on the ground and Q is moving upwards. [1]

Thank you very much, I will really ppreciate it a lot. I have an End of Topic Test soon.
Reply 1
Original post by Heyyyyyyyuy
A small smooth pulley is suspended from a fixed point by a light chain. A light inextensible string passes over the pulley. Particles P and Q of masses 0.3 kg and m kg respectively, are attached to the opposite ends of the string. The particles are released from rest at a height of 0.2 m above horizontal ground with the string taut; the portions of the string not in contact with the pulley are vertical. P strikes the ground with speed 1.4 ms^-1. Subsequently P remains on the ground, and Q does not reach the pulley.
(i). Calculate the acceleration of P while it is in motion and the corresponding tension in the string [4]
(ii). Find the value of m. [3]
(iii). Calculate the greatest height of Q above the ground. [4]
(iv). It is given that the mass of the pulley is 0.5 kg. State the magnitude of the tension in the chain which supports the pulley...
(a). When P is in motion [2]
(b). When P is at rest on the ground and Q is moving upwards. [1]
Thank you very much, I will really ppreciate it a lot. I have an End of Topic Test soon.
So what are you confused about. Have you sketched it, formed the force equations/suvat ...

Quick Reply

Latest