The Student Room Group

Please help me

Help. If you don’t want to read all this because its long please just read the last paragraph where I have summarised everything

so I've just started year 13 and I feel as though I've ruined my life by not doing any work in year 12. I do biology, chemistry and maths and got ADC predicted grades, in that order. I know people say your grades aren't the be all and end all, but for me it is. I've never really wanted much from life other than to do dentistry.

My plan for now is to just focus on my A-levels and get A*AA/ AAA so I can apply with achieved grades next year. But my question is am I being delusional? For thinking that I will be able to improve so drastically in less than 9 months? Especially considering the fact that I haven't really built the discipline previously?

Is it possible to do what I have stated above about getting A grades? I keep hearing people say it is but u need to work hard. Can someone please clarify what exactly they mean? How many hours per day? And im not sure how to feel about this saying because it could just be 0.03% of people who improve by that much.

For background info, I got pretty much all 8s at GCSE with about a 3 weeks worth of intense revision. So basically what i'm saying is I never really had to try so hard and cramming worked fine for me. Come to find out, A-levels proved me wrong. I dont think I’m stupid academically but not revising was definitely a stupid move.

I also need help with HOW to revise for maths and especially chemistry.

I may seem a bit crazy rn but this has been having a tremendous effect on my mental health. And i've never had bad mental health before so I don't even know how to deal with it.

Summary: I do bio, chem and maths and have been predicted ADC but I need A*/A grades. Im in year 13 and have about 9 months. I need to also redo all of AS as i didnt work hard in year 12. Is this possible? Did you/ do you know anyone who has had success? How did they do this?
Reply 1
Original post by biologyfruit
Help. If you don’t want to read all this because its long please just read the last paragraph where I have summarised everything

so I've just started year 13 and I feel as though I've ruined my life by not doing any work in year 12. I do biology, chemistry and maths and got ADC predicted grades, in that order. I know people say your grades aren't the be all and end all, but for me it is. I've never really wanted much from life other than to do dentistry.

My plan for now is to just focus on my A-levels and get A*AA/ AAA so I can apply with achieved grades next year. But my question is am I being delusional? For thinking that I will be able to improve so drastically in less than 9 months? Especially considering the fact that I haven't really built the discipline previously?

Is it possible to do what I have stated above about getting A grades? I keep hearing people say it is but u need to work hard. Can someone please clarify what exactly they mean? How many hours per day? And im not sure how to feel about this saying because it could just be 0.03% of people who improve by that much.

For background info, I got pretty much all 8s at GCSE with about a 3 weeks worth of intense revision. So basically what i'm saying is I never really had to try so hard and cramming worked fine for me. Come to find out, A-levels proved me wrong. I dont think I’m stupid academically but not revising was definitely a stupid move.

I may seem a bit crazy rn but this has been having a tremendous effect on my mental health. And i've never had bad mental health before so I don't even know how to deal with it.

Summary: I do bio, chem and maths and have been predicted ADC but I need A*/A grades. Im in year 13 and have about 9 months. I need to also redo all of AS as i didnt work hard in year 12. Is this possible? Did you/ do you know anyone who has had success? How did they do this?

Are you in England? If so AS levels don't count towards your A level.

Hey man, I understand you are worried about this and my I am sorry for this, however to reassure you I will give my Physics teacher as an example. My Physics teacher got all E's in his mocks at the end of year 12, which he himself said he was saddened by. However, after working throughout all of Y13, he was able to get A*A*A. I also have friends in similar situations, and whilst it is to a lesser degree that your current grades, they have gone from EDC to BCC so far, and the work they are putting in reflects why this is.

My suggestion for you would be to keep at it and work as hard as you can these next 9 months to get into tip top form for your exams, you already have an A so you are on the right track! It is all about practice and as long as you keep at it, you will do great! :smile:

For revision, I can only comment on maths as it's the only one I share with you, but to get good at the maths just get comfortable with the content really, if your school uses integral that is great, but past papers, websites (madas maths is a great one) are all good. My first port of call would be your teachers however, as they will know what is best.

Good luck and do not worry, you are only around over half way there, you will do your best work if you do not stress :smile: I believe in you man!
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Are you in England? If so AS levels don't count towards your A level.

yeah I am. Im aware they don't count but my school made it our predicted grades. and unfortunately dentistry really care about them.
Reply 4
yeah I am. Im aware they don't count but my school made it our predicted grades. and unfortunately dentistry really care about them.

Yes but did you sit them and do official papers with results in August? If not then only your achieved grades will be seen if you apply in your gap year.
Reply 5
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
Hey man, I understand you are worried about this and my I am sorry for this, however to reassure you I will give my Physics teacher as an example. My Physics teacher got all E's in his mocks at the end of year 12, which he himself said he was saddened by. However, after working throughout all of Y13, he was able to get A*A*A. I also have friends in similar situations, and whilst it is to a lesser degree that your current grades, they have gone from EDC to BCC so far, and the work they are putting in reflects why this is.

My suggestion for you would be to keep at it and work as hard as you can these next 9 months to get into tip top form for your exams, you already have an A so you are on the right track! It is all about practice and as long as you keep at it, you will do great! :smile:

For revision, I can only comment on maths as it's the only one I share with you, but to get good at the maths just get comfortable with the content really, if your school uses integral that is great, but past papers, websites (madas maths is a great one) are all good. My first port of call would be your teachers however, as they will know what is best.

Good luck and do not worry, you are only around over half way there, you will do your best work if you do not stress :smile: I believe in you man!

hey thank you for your reply. this whole thing has put me on the verge of crying so many times which is unusual as I have never cried over academics before. but ur right. ill try my best from now on. I have a pessimistic attitude towards A-levels like 'if im gonna do bad, i may as well not try and waste my time' and also if i do bad despite trying my hardest it will break me. knowing that even my best wasnt good enough. I need to change this attitude.

also do you have any tips for mechanics? I got 0 marks on my end of year exams
Reply 6
Does your school not do resits this term to give you the chance to up your predicted grades? If they do then do them and just revise a lot with lots of actual practicing questions (not just reading). My grades were quite poor when I was revising for yr 12 tests just by reading, but my mock results were really good because I realised I need to practice questions and did loads from books, online, past papers etc.
If you can't do resits then just start practicing more. I use the CPG books and physics and maths tutor website and past papers. I also watch some youtube teachers going over things. I don't do loads during term time because I have EPQ and NEA to do but for each small test I do lots of practice questions beforehand. Then in the holidays I try recap on everything that we've done so far just to keep it in mind. THere will of course also be loads of chance for you to revise before the actual exams. Just make sure you do it and I'm sure you'll be ok.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Yes but did you sit them and do official papers with results in August? If not then only your achieved grades will be seen if you apply in your gap year.

oh sorry. no I didn't sit official AS exams
Reply 8
hey thank you for your reply. this whole thing has put me on the verge of crying so many times which is unusual as I have never cried over academics before. but ur right. ill try my best from now on. I have a pessimistic attitude towards A-levels like 'if im gonna do bad, i may as well not try and waste my time' and also if i do bad despite trying my hardest it will break me. knowing that even my best wasnt good enough. I need to change this attitude.

I love teaching mechanics - big diagrams needed and try these: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

Hi, no worries, always happy to help! Mechanics is one I also find difficult, so I sympathise with you. I think for mechanics I would suggest watching videos by people like TLmaths, I myself found books a bit too static (Pardon the pun) to be useful when learning mechanics. Mechanics is one where after a good number of questions it becomes rather formulaic and you kind of instinctively know what is going on, so if it is an area you struggle with I would suggest going back to the drawing board, start with the basics and work you way up, then learn via practicing past mechanics questions (For example maybe get a question, work on it for a while, if you cannot figure it out, look at the MS, but do not just read it any carry on, pause on the question and figure out what topics it is testing you on (Pulleys? Statics? Even just the ideas like Inclined planes). My apologies as this all seems rather lengthy, but it is important to remember you have time, you aced your GCSEs in 3 weeks, so imagine what 9 months of good work will do! :smile: If you ever have a question, you can dm me and I can help if that would be useful. Also if you have it, use integral, the practice questions on there are really good, I was also highly suggest the CGP maths question book (The white one for questions, the blue one for revision notes) as this is the one I used and found it really helpful. In short: Repetition is key!

Of course, this is what I have found helpful and you might find you learn better in different ways, but no worry! Doing the work in any capacity is sure to boost your ability :smile:

I think you need to take the pressure off yourself if it's damaging your mental health. You can't put all your eggs into one basket and force it to work. If all you want to do is dentistry, then yes try your best, but if it doesn't work out, then you can learn and make a career out of doing other things that you love. All you can do right now is try your best, but don't let the stress and the demands on yourself overtake you, you're going to be at your best when you have control of the situation, not by putting so much strain on yourself to get things done the way you intend them to be done. If you succeed you will get what you want, but don't look at failure as a negative, see it as a window that opens new opportunities and possibilities. You obviously have the ability to do wonders for yourself, but you could do with opening your mind up to other paths if something doesn't work out.
Original post by MathsEnjoyer

I completely disagree - it's not been updated for a while and Dr Frost is FAR better along with others.

Quick Reply

Latest