The Student Room Group

Economics Undergraduate at Oxbridge

Hi, I’m a female Y12 student and I wondered if I could have some honest feedback concerning my Statistics as a potential Oxbridge applicant for Economics
I did alright in my GCSEs, although a bit worse than I expected.
I am currently studying Economics, Maths and Further Maths at college.
First of all, should I take an EPQ? I’m not sure if I would be allowed to since it’s currently March of Y12. But if I would be allowed would you recommend it?
Secondly, would it be ridiculous for me to apply for Oxbridge with my GCSE grades?
If not, would it be better for me to apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford? I heard that Cambridge are more lenient concerning GCSE grades.
Please be honest guys. Thanks
Reply 1
I also achieved these grades at a state school, incase this may impact your opinion.
Reply 2
I also do not have a preference between studying Pure Economics or Economics and Management as an Undergraduate degree.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I’m a female Y12 student and I wondered if I could have some honest feedback concerning my Statistics as a potential Oxbridge applicant for Economics
First of all, should I take an EPQ? I’m not sure if I would be allowed to since it’s currently March of Y12. But if I would be allowed would you recommend it?
Secondly, would it be ridiculous for me to apply for Oxbridge with my GCSE grades?
If not, would it be better for me to apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford? I heard that Cambridge are more lenient concerning GCSE grades.

Take this with a pinch of salt as it is all word of mouth, as I have little relation to economics whatsoever, but I know that Cambridge cares less about GCSE’s than Oxford. I was also told that GCSE’s are not a dealbreaker if you do other supercurricular activities or extra reading. For that reason I would recommend taking EPQ also considering you only have 3 subjects. I would also recommend you to participate in competitions such as Economics essay competitions or Mathematical Modelling. Any maths olympiads would also be helpful. Hope this helps and that you will go to Oxbridge in the future!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Evaristo
Take this with a pinch of salt as it is all word of mouth, as I have little relation to economics whatsoever, but I know that Cambridge cares less about GCSE’s than Oxford. I was also told that GCSE’s are not a dealbreaker if you do other supercurricular activities or extra reading. For that reason I would recommend taking EPQ also considering you only have 3 subjects. I would also recommend you to participate in competitions such as Economics essay competitions or Mathematical Modelling. Any maths olympiads would also be helpful. Hope this helps and that you will go to Oxbridge in the future!! :biggrin:

Thank you! Very helpful advice
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1

I would recommend Cambridge rather than Oxbridge, as they have less emphasis on GCSE results. You grades are good, but realistically most successful applicants will have better GCSE grades. I would also recommend doing an EPQ , as your A-levels are quite narrow. You have FM as a 3rd rather than a 4th as per norm. Also, you need lots of supercurriculars to get into Economics at Oxbridge, LSE etc, so doing an EPQ in a relevant topic can go some way towards that.

You also need A*A*A predictions at an absolute minimum and a high TMUA score.
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
I would recommend Cambridge rather than Oxbridge, as they have less emphasis on GCSE results. You grades are good, but realistically most successful applicants will have better GCSE grades. I would also recommend doing an EPQ , as your A-levels are quite narrow. You have FM as a 3rd rather than a 4th as per norm. Also, you need lots of supercurriculars to get into Economics at Oxbridge, LSE etc, so doing an EPQ in a relevant topic can go some way towards that.
You also need A*A*A predictions at an absolute minimum and a high TMUA score.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending