The Student Room Group

Further math or no?

I am planning on choosing Math, Further Math, Chemistry (which I like) and economics. I suppose I will be studying media or economics in college and I have heard that schools like Oxbridge and LSE pretty much prefer FM. I really want to get into those schools and I'm confident that I can get good grades in subjects that I study. However, FM is hard and if I replace it with Media studies (not highly regarded subject) then it will be less stressful. I seek FM and media studies experience and advice on what should I be choosing. Thx a lot!
Original post by Buna1611
I am planning on choosing Math, Further Math, Chemistry (which I like) and economics. I suppose I will be studying media or economics in college and I have heard that schools like Oxbridge and LSE pretty much prefer FM. I really want to get into those schools and I'm confident that I can get good grades in subjects that I study. However, FM is hard and if I replace it with Media studies (not highly regarded subject) then it will be less stressful. I seek FM and media studies experience and advice on what should I be choosing. Thx a lot!

You could consider taking chemistry (excellent choice btw, no bias), maths, media and further maths, perhaps dropping media or further maths if either gets too much or if one begins to disinterest you.
Reply 2
how about economics?

Original post by TypicalNerd
You could consider taking chemistry (excellent choice btw, no bias), maths, media and further maths, perhaps dropping media or further maths if either gets too much or if one begins to disinterest you.
how about economics?

Missed that one out (oops).

I mean, having a look at the page for the undergraduate Economics and Management course at Oxford, the only subject you absolutely must have is maths. It would presumably be preferred if you took further maths and economics, but neither is actually necessary, strangely enough. Also strangely enough, it doesn’t state that either is useful preparation or recommended, but I’d take that with a pinch of salt.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/economics-and-management

Defo pick the three or four subjects you like the most out of the five you’ve mentioned
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
Missed that one out (oops).

I mean, having a look at the page for the undergraduate Economics and Management course at Oxford, the only subject you absolutely must have is maths. It would presumably be preferred if you took further maths and economics, but neither is actually necessary, strangely enough. Also strangely enough, it doesn’t state that either is useful preparation or recommended, but I’d take that with a pinch of salt.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/economics-and-management

Defo pick the three or four subjects you like the most out of the five you’ve mentioned

lol it's strange but I like neither media nor further math :>>
Also having had a look at what LSE has to say

-A level maths is necessary and they expect an A* in it.
-FM is desirable (but not necessarily a requirement)
-Chemistry is good because it demonstrates a good writing ability (edit: bit of a misread, it’s a common post-16 choice but presumably liked for the problem solving aspects).
-Economics isn’t required, either (but it’s considered good as it demonstrates a good writing ability).

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/degree-programmes-2024/BSc-Economics
(edited 10 months ago)

For economics at Cambridge or LSE FM is highly desirable (debatably an implicit requirement at LSE if your school offers it). Media at degree level is a whole other kettle of fish - FM is completely irrelevant to that.

So it really depends on what you want to do. Note that for PPE at Oxford and some joint honours economics courses at LSE, FM is not really critical from an admissions perspective (although may be helpful during the course).

That said if you were planning to do anything not requiring FM at uni, I'd suggest not bothering doing a fourth subject at all - you don't get "bonus points" for doing an extra subject.
Reply 7

What grade are you expecting in GCSE Maths?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
What grade are you expecting in GCSE Maths?

I finished IGCSE and already got the grade actually, in GCSE it's a 9
Reply 9
I finished IGCSE and already got the grade actually, in GCSE it's a 9

Do you enjoy Maths? Have you done UKMT challenges?
Reply 10
Do you enjoy Maths? Have you done UKMT challenges?

Well, I'm not really into Math but actually quite good at it. And idk what UKMT is :>>
Reply 11
Well, I'm not really into Math but actually quite good at it. And idk what UKMT is :>>

I would be cautious about doing 2 A levels in something you are not really into ...

UKMT: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/
Reply 12
I would be cautious about doing 2 A levels in something you are not really into ...

UKMT: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/

My first year with math should be fairly easy since I've already got the knowledge for AS. But further math, i don't really like it tho
Reply 13
would it be okay if I switch further math to psychology? Because it is actually in some way related to media and econ
Reply 14
My first year with math should be fairly easy since I've already got the knowledge for AS. But further math, i don't really like it tho

How do you know you don't like it as you haven't started it?

You need to check degree requirements as said above ..
Reply 15
How do you know you don't like it as you haven't started it?

You need to check degree requirements as said above ..Submit reply

Yes you're right, I just wouldn't like to study too much math
Reply 16

Yes you're right, I just wouldn't like to study too much math

Then you need to be realistic about which unis are likely to offer you a place - plenty don't require FMaths but avoid those where it is 'preferred' or worse 'required'.
Reply 17
Then you need to be realistic about which unis are likely to offer you a place - plenty don't require FMaths but avoid those where it is 'preferred' or worse 'required'.

thx for ur help!

Quick Reply

Latest