The Student Room Group

CRNA or anaesthesiologist?

I’m currently making my choice for uni courses, but don’t know what to do. I love patient interaction and think CRNA is my best option therefore I should pick nursing BSC, but I’m also really fuelled in my learning because of science and would prefer a human biology course? What should I do?
Reply 1
CRNAs don’t exist in the UK (as this is a UK based forum I’m presuming you are here). The closest thing is the anaesthesia associate (AA), which is a medical associate profession (MAP). There’s currently a lot of debate over the need for, use of and scope of MAPs.

If you want to give anaesthetics to people then the best route for this is to study medicine, get a post grad training post in anaesthesia and become an anaesthetist.

There are nursing roles which are much more focussed on “sciencey” stuff, for example critical care nursing. It may be worth exploring these to see if they interest you.
Adult Nursing could be good starting point to become a registered Nurse. In the UK we tend to say RN (registered nurse). All nurses are approved by the NMC. The nursing programme includes alot of biology content - anatomy, physiology, biosciences.

You would be able to specialise post graduation with additional study and work place experience.

If your desire to knock poeple out is at the heart of your interests, like Moonkatt I would suggest looking at a medical degree for progression as a doctor. If this is a bit much you could also consider going full Greys Anatomy and doing an Operating Department Practioner course - where professionals support surgeons in theatres.

Keep asking questions and exploring your options. Some great sites to check out would be nhs careers, and university websites.

Quick Reply