The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Ohgodyeah!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
2 weeks at Linklaters put me off applying to MC firms for life. Not for me, and of course they're lovely when they're recruiting you. I've heard stories of vac scheme students in the MC being so insanely competitive that they've been in the office from 7am every day of the two weeks and just being utter bastards to each other really. But hey, give it a bash, it might work out for you!
Reply 21
Congrats muncrun! You must be chuffed.

UCL_Law
2 weeks at Linklaters put me off applying to MC firms for life. Not for me, and of course they're lovely when they're recruiting you. I've heard stories of vac scheme students in the MC being so insanely competitive that they've been in the office from 7am every day of the two weeks and just being utter bastards to each other really.

That would be hilarious - arriving at the firm at 7 AM every day. When I had a placement at a global law firm, the fellow interns were all pretty normal and had lives: eager to be on time for work (never earlier than 8:30 AM) and also eager to LEAVE on time, i.e. 6 PM sharp. Are you sure those who were there at 7 AM were vac scheme students and not substitutes for the receptionists or the clerks? :biggrin:
Reply 22
lol, unforch not. I suppose if you want a TC at the end of it then you'll do anything. Although part of me hopes that that type doesn't get offered them. But then this is the MC, so I don't hold out too much hope!
Reply 23
Argh, law firms suck! Rejection from WGM - they only have 12 places I know, but still! Didn't want to work there anyway...(ish!)

Seriously, I know I've been a downer on this thread, but a MC vac scheme is an amazing achievement! :smile:
Reply 24
UCL_Law
Argh, law firms suck! Rejection from WGM - they only have 12 places I know, but still! Didn't want to work there anyway...(ish!)

Seriously, I know I've been a downer on this thread, but a MC vac scheme is an amazing achievement! :smile:

Thanks. Sorry to hear about WGM, mate. Where else have you applied to?
Reply 25
Congrats on the MC vac place Muncrun!

I really do wish MC firms sounded like my sort of thing...all that money and power. Work far too long hours for my liking!!

However, I'm (hopefully!) destined to be a lowly criminal barrister. The Cinderella section of the legal industry according to my criminial tutor.
Reply 26
kingslaw
Congrats on the MC vac place Muncrun!

I really do wish MC firms sounded like my sort of thing...all that money and power. Work far too long hours for my liking!!

However, I'm (hopefully!) destined to be a lowly criminal barrister. The Cinderella section of the legal industry according to my criminial tutor.

lol@"lowly" criminal barrister! I'd hardly equate the word "barrister" with "lowly"!
Reply 27
muncrun
lol@"lowly" criminal barrister! I'd hardly equate the word "barrister" with "lowly"!

Point taken. I meant 'lowly' as in 'far down the hierarchy' - defending 15 year old scallies who've been robbing cars, etc.

To be honest, I lie. I really want to practice in public law. Anything to get at the government...

EDIT: Just thinking; do you know what area you'll be working in on you vacation scheme??
Reply 28
Congrats m8. :cool:
Well done.
Reply 30
muncrun
Thanks. Sorry to hear about WGM, mate. Where else have you applied to?

All over! It was a rejection after an interview, which is somehow all the worse, even though I know it was an achievement to get through to that stage.

Just got a letter from another law firm this morning, had to psyche myself up to open it and it turns out they were just sending me a cheque for my travel expenses! This business isn't good for my health!
Reply 31
Wow! Congrats on the vac place! You must be really pleased. Out of curiosity, which university are u in now?
Reply 32
UCL_Law
All over! It was a rejection after an interview, which is somehow all the worse, even though I know it was an achievement to get through to that stage.

Just got a letter from another law firm this morning, had to psyche myself up to open it and it turns out they were just sending me a cheque for my travel expenses! This business isn't good for my health!

Hehe, yea we've all been there! The whole application process is probably the most tedious and demoralising thing I've ever done. Trust me, this vac placement is only the fruition of much pain, many tears and many rejections! I agree with you about the rejection after interview thing: you spend a good couple of days preparing for interview, then you travel to London (not an issue for you, I know!), sweat it out for a day, and finally get told that all your efforts have been in vain! I suppose the interview experience counts for something though.

Kingslaw - nothing yet, they've just given me the "we'll be in touch soon" treatment.
Reply 33
Fa|ique
Wow! Congrats on the vac place! You must be really pleased. Out of curiosity, which university are u in now?

Birmingham University. :smile:
Reply 34
UCL_Law

lol, I was exactly the same. 'tis a depressing business. :frown:
Vitriol01
lol, I was exactly the same. 'tis a depressing business. :frown:

oh great. more stress and depression with applications. Finish UCAS rejections, onto vacation placement rejections, onto training contract rejections, rejections for partership ... the list is never ending!
Reply 36
Oh yeah, this makes the UCAS process seem so easy!
Reply 37
Lottelo
oh great. more stress and depression with applications. Finish UCAS rejections, onto vacation placement rejections, onto training contract rejections, rejections for partership ... the list is never ending!

Hehe. Without meaning to sound patronising, the UCAS application cycle barely counts as a warm up! You have to make one application at UCAS stage (or two if attempting Oxbridge). Vacation schemes - even if you have a stellar CV you can expect to make *at least* 10 applications. My application count is over two dozen, and I know plenty who have done more. Trust me, it's going to get worse for you guys! :wink:
muncrun
Hehe. Without meaning to sound patronising, the UCAS application cycle barely counts as a warm up! You have to make one application at UCAS stage (or two if attempting Oxbridge). Vacation schemes - even if you have a stellar CV you can expect to make *at least* 10 applications. My application count is over two dozen, and I know plenty who have done more. Trust me, it's going to get worse for you guys! :wink:

Mmm... depends on what we decide to do really :biggrin:
Reply 39
muncrun

I did 30 applications for TCs. Completing each of them was hell. :smile: It's gonna get a LOT worse for them mwuahahahahaha. :wink:

/evil laugh. :thrasher:

Latest

Trending

Trending