The Student Room Group

HELP retaking lnat, reapplying for law next year

Hi, does anyone think it's worth it for me to reapply for law next year. I applied to oxford, UCL, LSE, Cardiff and bristol this year, and got rejected from the first 3. I have an offer from cardiff, no reply from bristol yet but i'm not too worried about them.

The reason for UCL's rejected was because my lnat score was judged to be not as competitive as the other applicants, and i'm set on UCL, like I don't want to give it up if my lnat was the reason i got rejected cus im willing to retake the lnat and reapply but is it worth it?

honestly if i reapply, because of Oxford and LSE's rejection i definitely wont reapply to them next cycle so it'd probably be UCL, KCL, cardiff, bristol and exeter or QMUL. And i'm not too against a gap year either.

I'm predicted A*A*A and got 25 on my lnat this time, is it a good idea to reapply and aim for a higher lnat score?
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moon060108
Hi, does anyone think it's worth it for me to reapply for law next year. I applied to oxford, UCL, LSE, Cardiff and bristol this year, and got rejected from the first 3. I have an offer from cardiff, no reply from bristol yet but i'm not too worried about them.
The reason for UCL's rejected was because my lnat score was judged to be not as competitive as the other applicants, and i'm set on UCL, like I don't want to give it up if my lnat was the reason i got rejected cus im willing to retake the lnat and reapply but is it worth it?
honestly if i reapply, because of Oxford and LSE's rejection i definitely wont reapply to them next cycle so it'd probably be UCL, KCL, cardiff, bristol and exeter or QMUL. And i'm not too against a gap year either.
I'm predicted A*A*A and got 25 on my lnat this time, is it a good idea to reapply and aim for a higher lnat score?

I’ve got an offer to Cardiff to student English media and Journalism, I’ve had interviews for Oxford, but honestly there is no guarantee with Oxford for next year. I would say clearing is always an option I think Law goes into Clearing, but don’t give up you’ve got some amazing unis there!
SOAS, City, RHUL, QMUL and Goldsmiths are all part of University of London and have always had places in Clearing for Law in past years. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
SOAS, City, RHUL, QMUL and Goldsmiths are all part of University of London and have always had places in Clearing for Law in past years. :smile:
yh i’m not planning to go to any of the other london unis apart from kcl and ucl, even qmul i’m still not sure about
Reply 4
Original post by amyileana
I’ve got an offer to Cardiff to student English media and Journalism, I’ve had interviews for Oxford, but honestly there is no guarantee with Oxford for next year. I would say clearing is always an option I think Law goes into Clearing, but don’t give up you’ve got some amazing unis there!
if i reapply oxford definitely won’t be one of the options again because i got rejected pre interview and they never gave me an actual reason why and honestly i’d rather not go into clearing because i don’t think that’d be necessary, i’d rather just reapply if i got the grades :smile:
reapply! esp since your lnat was probably the only reason you got rejected which is something you can easily improve in. i think you'll regret it if you don't
I'm not saying you shouldn't take a gap year, but if you plan on taking one solely to try and get into UCL, I'd warn against it. I'm a first year at LSE but also applied to UCL last application season and got rejected. For context, I was predicted 3 A*s, had achieved nine grade 9s & four grade 8s at GCSE, had an LNAT score of 34 and had won both international and national Law essay competitions (so I doubt the quality of writing in my personal statement would have been the problem). My situation is not uncommon whatsoever - I know multiple people who are studying Law at Cambridge who also had very high stats but got rejected. Because universities like UCL/LSE/KCL are so oversubscribed, they reject perfectly capable applicants every year. Therefore, if you do decide to reapply, don't do so because of one university. Also, I'd suggest applying for less competitive universities which are still very highly ranked in the next application pool, namely Durham. Durham tends to be a lot more consistent with their applications. Leeds and Nottingham also have strong law departments/reputations.

Also, I would definitely wait for Bristol to get back to you before making any permanent decisions. If you do get in, I would advise that you take it instead of reapplying with the hopes of going to somewhere 'better'. Bristol has a very good Law school that has almost as good of a reputation as UCL.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by poppy2022
I'm not saying you shouldn't take a gap year, but if you plan on taking one solely to try and get into UCL, I'd warn against it. I'm a first year at LSE but also applied to UCL last application season and got rejected. For context, I was predicted 3 A*s, had achieved nine grade 9s & four grade 8s at GCSE, had an LNAT score of 34 and had won both international and national Law essay competitions (so I doubt the quality of writing in my personal statement would have been the problem). My situation is not uncommon whatsoever - I know multiple people who are studying Law at Cambridge who also had very high stats but got rejected. Because universities like UCL/LSE/KCL are so oversubscribed, they reject perfectly capable applicants every year. Therefore, if you do decide to reapply, don't do so because of one university. Also, I'd suggest applying for less competitive universities which are still very highly ranked in the next application pool, namely Durham. Durham tends to be a lot more consistent with their applications. Leeds and Nottingham also have strong law departments/reputations.
Also, I would definitely wait for Bristol to get back to you before making any permanent decisions. If you do get in, I would advise that you take it instead of reapplying with the hopes of going to somewhere 'better'. Bristol has a very good Law school that has almost as good of a reputation as UCL.
thank you for the advice, honestly i wouldn’t say i’m taking the gap year just to reapply for UCL, it’s also because i want to change my options now i’ve heard back from others too. i just heard back from bristol and got a contextual offer of AAB, if you don’t mind and obviously if you remember, why did you get rejected from UCL?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 8
Original post by random262837
reapply! esp since your lnat was probably the only reason you got rejected which is something you can easily improve in. i think you'll regret it if you don't
😭 me too honestly, cus i really don’t want to give it up if my lnat was the reason thank u
😭 me too honestly, cus i really don’t want to give it up if my lnat was the reason thank u
Re-apply to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS.
Reply 10
Re-apply to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS.
i definitely won’t reapply to oxford and lse again because oxford didn’t even give me a reason for my rejection, and i didn’t get an interview either. Lse was because my gcses were apparently too low and icl i don’t want to retake my gcses since lse was the only one that rejected me for that reason. UCL and KCL i’ll definitely reapply to, SOAS i don’t know much about but i might consider it 👍
i definitely won’t reapply to oxford and lse again because oxford didn’t even give me a reason for my rejection, and i didn’t get an interview either. Lse was because my gcses were apparently too low and icl i don’t want to retake my gcses since lse was the only one that rejected me for that reason. UCL and KCL i’ll definitely reapply to, SOAS i don’t know much about but i might consider it 👍

The Master's Law degree: BCL at Oxford University has so many internationals but had quite a few applicants who succeeded in gaining a place from LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS and QMUL. So you should definitely apply to those UCAS choices. :smile:
thank you for the advice, honestly i wouldn’t say i’m taking the gap year just to reapply for UCL, it’s also because i want to change my options now i’ve heard back from others too. i just heard back from bristol and got a contextual offer of AAB, if you don’t mind and obviously if you remember, why did you get rejected from UCL?

That's amazing! You should be very proud of yourself. The reason UCL gave is something along the lines of 'your application wasn't as strong as others'. This was the same reason they gave to others I knew who also got rejected with similar stats to me. I also did a freedom of information request (where they're legally required to give you any data they have on you) as this reason didn't make any sense considering my stats were so high. From this freedom of information request I got a blank application from them, as in there wasn't a single comment made on my application as you'd expect there to be if they'd actually looked at it. I'm pretty sure that because they're so insanely oversubscribed, they stop looking at applications at a certain point as they have so many to go through before the UCAS cut-off point. Bearing in mind, I sent my UCAS application off in October, so I imagine they go through them in a random order. Also, I was also a contextual applicant too so the entry threshold should have been even lower.

I would say that you should try and visit Bristol if you can and if you like it, I'd strongly consider it. Even if you have doubts, I'd take the offer anyway as you can always think over whether you want to go with it over summer and then reject the offer post-results day if you decide you still want to take a gap year once you know your results. I also got into Bristol and went to their offer-holder day. As you're also contextual, they will refund you for your train ticket so you have nothing to lose by going. In my experience, Bristol was a very nice town and had a good law department. What I really liked about it in comparison to the London unis was that it had way more of a community feel. Going to a London uni myself, it can be super hard to make long-lasting friendships as everyone is spread out across the city of London (with some people commuting from home) while everything is pretty much walking distance in Bristol. It also seemed to have a good work-life balance, with lots of social activities.
Reply 13
The Master's Law degree: BCL at Oxford University has so many internationals but had quite a few applicants who succeeded in gaining a place from LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS and QMUL. So you should definitely apply to those UCAS choices. :smile:

??? i’m sorry if you misunderstood my post, or if i’m misunderstanding your reply but i’m apply for undergrad not masters 😭😭
Reply 14
Original post by poppy2022
That's amazing! You should be very proud of yourself. The reason UCL gave is something along the lines of 'your application wasn't as strong as others'. This was the same reason they gave to others I knew who also got rejected with similar stats to me. I also did a freedom of information request (where they're legally required to give you any data they have on you) as this reason didn't make any sense considering my stats were so high. From this freedom of information request I got a blank application from them, as in there wasn't a single comment made on my application as you'd expect there to be if they'd actually looked at it. I'm pretty sure that because they're so insanely oversubscribed, they stop looking at applications at a certain point as they have so many to go through before the UCAS cut-off point. Bearing in mind, I sent my UCAS application off in October, so I imagine they go through them in a random order. Also, I was also a contextual applicant too so the entry threshold should have been even lower.
I would say that you should try and visit Bristol if you can and if you like it, I'd strongly consider it. Even if you have doubts, I'd take the offer anyway as you can always think over whether you want to go with it over summer and then reject the offer post-results day if you decide you still want to take a gap year once you know your results. I also got into Bristol and went to their offer-holder day. As you're also contextual, they will refund you for your train ticket so you have nothing to lose by going. In my experience, Bristol was a very nice town and had a good law department. What I really liked about it in comparison to the London unis was that it had way more of a community feel. Going to a London uni myself, it can be super hard to make long-lasting friendships as everyone is spread out across the city of London (with some people commuting from home) while everything is pretty much walking distance in Bristol. It also seemed to have a good work-life balance, with lots of social activities.

OH NO I had that conversation with my mum earlier about just cutoffs and i think the reason oxford rejected me was probably because of the fact there were so many applicants. So hopefully if i reapply i won’t get rejected for basically no reason at all 😭 and i totally get the fact it took so long for them to reply, i sent my application all in october too and ucl only responded this month

i’ll definitely decide after bristol and cardiffs offer day but one of the main reasons i want to go to ucl is because of the fact its in london and all that lmao, and because bristol is way too close to where i live atm (literally only half an hour away) so i really want to go somewhere further for uni
??? i’m sorry if you misunderstood my post, or if i’m misunderstanding your reply but i’m apply for undergrad not masters 😭😭

Those were the universities in the BCL Profile eBook online. So a degree from any of LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS and QMUL as well as Bristol is good enough for graduate study at Oxford as long as you gain a 1st class honours and are in the top 1% of your cohort. :smile:
Reply 16
Those were the universities in the BCL Profile eBook online. So a degree from any of LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS and QMUL as well as Bristol is good enough for graduate study at Oxford as long as you gain a 1st class honours and are in the top 1% of your cohort. :smile:

im not planning for a graduate study at Oxford. for masters no matter when I get my law degree my top choice is still UCL :smile:
im not planning for a graduate study at Oxford. for masters no matter when I get my law degree my top choice is still UCL :smile:
London universities are massively oversubscribed due to the numbers of overseas students studying there. In 2022 over 60% of the LSE students came from India or China. Over 50% of the students in UCL come from abroad. This is why you are having difficulties and need very high LNAT figures.

Nobody can tell you whether it is worth reapplying to UCL. Check whether they will accept resits. I have a feeling they dont. Most universities dont require LNAT and that includes Cardiff and Exeter.

Have a long think whether taking a gap year in the hope of getting into UCL is worth it. What if they reject you again next year. How will you feel then. This is the most likely scenario.

As already said wait for Bristol's decision before doing anything.

hey, this was literally me last year down to the detailsss. In the 2022-23 cycle applied for law to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and QMUL. I got rejected by all except QMUL for my LNAT score (which was also 25 at the time), LSE also said that my ps wasn’t competitive enough either. I was also predicted A*AA. It was suchhh a huge knock to my confidence while everyone seemed to be getting offers from most if not all their choices 😭

anyway, after going to QMUL’s offer holder day, I decided to take the risk and do a gap year. It’s not that QMUL wasn’t a good enough uni in its own right, but I knew that for myself I could do better and that I wanted better (again, not a diss to anyone or that university, it is a Russel group for a reason). There was also many other reasons I decided not to firm QMUL and take a gap year but my msg is long enough already.

this year, I changed my options slightly and applied to LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS and RHUL. Keeping it all London since I’m a young carer for a relative at home. I achieved A-level grades of A*AB, resat my LNAT and got a 31, got work experience, made a wayyy better personal statement and made an application that wasn’t rushed with the pressure of full-time education and that im proud of. So far I’ve received offers from SOAS and RHUL and am still to hear from the other 3 so hoping for good news. Needless to say I’d think my chances this year are much higher than they were last year. It’s worth noting that I’m also a contextual home student.

idk why but schools, colleges and sixth forms rly pressurise you to go to uni straight away and don’t talk about the benefits of gap years (unless your fortunate enough that your parents can afford to send you travelling around the world, that’s pretty much all schools will say about them). during mine I’ve been working full time, so am able to have a good amount of savings so I don’t start uni broke af, got a drivers license, am buying a car, taking care of my family and most importantly taking care of myself physically and mentally after a rly difficult yr13. now i actually feel ready for learning and university, whereas lots of my friends who went straight from sixth form are already burnt out, struggling to attend and stuck in old school bad habits. i was called about 10 times by my sixth form on results day telling me to go to random unis through clearing which I knew I didn’t want to do knowing I tried so hard and still had a lot left to give.

My point is, don’t give up, try again if you feel it’s best for you. And if it still doesn’t work out, you’ll still end up where you’re meant to be. You don’t have to be freshly turned 18 when you start uni, many people aren’t. You’ll never regret trying, but you will regret not trying hard enough.
Reply 19
Original post by swanseajack1
London universities are massively oversubscribed due to the numbers of overseas students studying there. In 2022 over 60% of the LSE students came from India or China. Over 50% of the students in UCL come from abroad. This is why you are having difficulties and need very high LNAT figures.
Nobody can tell you whether it is worth reapplying to UCL. Check whether they will accept resits. I have a feeling they dont. Most universities dont require LNAT and that includes Cardiff and Exeter.
Have a long think whether taking a gap year in the hope of getting into UCL is worth it. What if they reject you again next year. How will you feel then. This is the most likely scenario.
As already said wait for Bristol's decision before doing anything.

I’ve already checked ofc i’m not planning to resit my a levels because ucl and kings don’t accept them but they accept lnat resits cus the lnat score is only valid for the current admission cycle anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending