The Student Room Group

Uni help

I NEED HELP, so basically I am predicted 3A*s and and A this year and got rejected from Oxford and UCL because my Lnat was average (22). I am waiting on LSE however I have accepted I’ll be rejected due to my lnat. I have an offer from man met and goldsmiths I really want to go to Manchester but will be disappointed in myself if I end up going to a BBB uni when I know l'm capable of more. I'm considering declining my offers and going through ucas extra to Uni of manchester because there's spaces. But l'm so on the fence.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isabella3232
I NEED HELP, so basically I am predicted 3A*s and and A this year and got rejected from Oxford and UCL because my Lnat was average (22). I am waiting on LSE however I have accepted I’ll be rejected due to my lnat. I have an offer from man met and goldsmiths I really want to go to Manchester but will be disappointed in myself if I end up going to a BBB uni when I know l'm capable of more. I'm considering declining my offers and going through ucas extra to Uni of manchester because there's spaces. But l'm so on the fence.

Why not take a gap year if your A-levels go well and focus on the Lnat at the second attempt?
Original post by ageshallnot

Why not take a gap year if your A-levels go well and focus on the Lnat at the second attempt?

Ah thanks for the response. I have considered a gap year but my parents aren’t really on board with the idea. Also I’m not sure I could face the LNAT again hahah.
Reply 3
i would go through clearing. if your aims were oxford, ucl and lse, i wouldn't settle for a uni you don't believe reflects your talent or aspirations. especially with those predicted grades. dont worry about the lnat, it was a bit more difficult one this year; the average is was like 24 or 25 the year before.

when you said "you really want to go to manchester but will be disappointed in myelf...", were you referring to uni of manchester or man met here?

ive learned with ucas, if you change your mind or want something else just go for it; if you leave it until later, especially for law and history at oxford where admissions tests are required, it gets so expensive.
Reply 4
Ah thanks for the response. I have considered a gap year but my parents aren’t really on board with the idea. Also I’m not sure I could face the LNAT again hahah.
imo its better to take a gap year and ace the lnat rather than go to a uni you dont want to! if its because they believe you will get unmotivated, prove them wrong if you believe otherwise.
Original post by Aakha
i would go through clearing. if your aims were oxford, ucl and lse, i wouldn't settle for a uni you don't believe reflects your talent or aspirations. especially with those predicted grades. dont worry about the lnat, it was a bit more difficult one this year; the average is was like 24 or 25 the year before.

when you said "you really want to go to manchester but will be disappointed in myelf...", were you referring to uni of manchester or man met here?

ive learned with ucas, if you change your mind or want something else just go for it; if you leave it until later, especially for law and history at oxford where admissions tests are required, it gets so expensive.

Thank you so much for the response! When I realised my LNAT wasn’t great I looked into Manchester more as I have an offer from mmu and also because I love it as a city therefore I’d really like to go to Manchester for uni (not necessarily a specific uni). Although upon further reflection I would be quite annoyed if I did end up going to mmu when I know I’m capable of more aside from my Lnat. I noticed that uni of is a really great school for law and doesn’t consider the Lnat. Therefore I’m just considering declining my offer from mmu and applying for UoM through ucas extra as there are spaces.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for the response! When I realised my LNAT wasn’t great I looked into Manchester more as I have an offer from mmu and also because I love it as a city therefore I’d really like to go to Manchester for uni (not necessarily a specific uni). Although upon further reflection I would be quite annoyed if I did end up going to mmu when I know I’m capable of more aside from my Lnat. I noticed that uni of is a really great school for law and doesn’t consider the Lnat. Therefore I’m just considering declining my offer from mmu and applying for UoM through ucas extra as there are spaces.
I understand. I have never encountered ucas extra but if youre eligible for it, i always say take the chance- manchester is great as you said, and especially for a course like law you want to be in a uni that has the strongest reputation.
gap year is always an option too!
Reply 7
Original post by Aakha
I understand. I have never encountered ucas extra but if youre eligible for it, i always say take the chance- manchester is great as you said, and especially for a course like law you want to be in a uni that has the strongest reputation.
just make sure if you decide to do clearing on results day that you are ready with the unis, their contact numbers, and good grades :smile:!
Original post by Aakha
Original post by Aakha
just make sure if you decide to do clearing on results day that you are ready with the unis, their contact numbers, and good grades :smile:!

Thank you so much!
Reply 9

I tried to apply for university of manchester for the same course via ucas extra and they said they weren’t accepting late applications
Original post by lootii1
I tried to apply for university of manchester for the same course via ucas extra and they said they weren’t accepting late applications

Wait what when did you try, I had something 2 weeks ago saying they have received my application
Where did you see that ?
Reply 12
Where did you see that ?
i applied, then called them up then emailed them and an hour ago they rejected saying they don’t accept late applicants. very confusing cos it’s open to apply for on ucas. this is for law llb right?
Original post by lootii1
i applied, then called them up then emailed them and an hour ago they rejected saying they don’t accept late applicants. very confusing cos it’s open to apply for on ucas. this is for law llb right?

Yes I applied for law llb. I applied on the 8th of March then I got an email on the 11th from the uni saying my application has been forwarded to the admissions team. I haven’t had anything since. When did you apply and did you receive the email from the uni?
Reply 14
Yes I applied for law llb. I applied on the 8th of March then I got an email on the 11th from the uni saying my application has been forwarded to the admissions team. I haven’t had anything since. When did you apply and did you receive the email from the uni?

so i applied on thursday night and got the email that its been received the next day. then on the friday i started calling up and emailing because i got paranoid. then today i got the email back saying they dont accept late applicants and then just now a rejection. really stressful i didn’t know law was going to be this brutal i had the grades and a good ps but idk what’s going on
Original post by lootii1
so i applied on thursday night and got the email that its been received the next day. then on the friday i started calling up and emailing because i got paranoid. then today i got the email back saying they dont accept late applicants and then just now a rejection. really stressful i didn’t know law was going to be this brutal i had the grades and a good ps but idk what’s going on

Honestly!! I have the grades and ps but my Lnat was average. I might leave it a week so then it’s been like the 3 week extra period and then email
What are you next plans, will you apply to another uni.
Reply 17
What are you next plans, will you apply to another uni.

yeah same my lnat let me down. i’ve emailed a bunch of unis now asking them if they accept ucas extra for law so it depends on what they.
Reply 18
Honestly!! I have the grades and ps but my Lnat was average. I might leave it a week so then it’s been like the 3 week extra period and then email

lmk when you hear back from manchester
Original post by lootii1
yeah same my lnat let me down. i’ve emailed a bunch of unis now asking them if they accept ucas extra for law so it depends on what they.

Ahhh fair enough, I could wait now you’ve said haha just emailed Manchester asking if there’s any progress

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending