The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
having CN attached to a compound u can turn into a carboxylic acid via concentrated HCl or any other acid, 2H20 and reflux ur end result is carboxylic acid and ammonia NH3
JumpingJonny
Like: C---CN and it goes to C----COOH
I think thats right?

I can confirm that you need to know this reaction.

Typically aqueous HCl and heat and reflux. (You can have conc HCl, but any other H+ must be aq)
Reply 22
TheTallOne
I can confirm that you need to know this reaction.

Typically aqueous HCl and heat and reflux. (You can have conc HCl, but any other H+ must be aq)

Hah I am well dumb..Better look that up tomorrow:o:
What topic is it under?
Esma
Hah I am well dumb..Better look that up tomorrow:o:
What topic is it under?

I think it comes right after the HCN/KCN addition.

Basically it's a typical hydrolysis of proteins to amino acids.

Page 24, 43 and 50 if you have the 'Chemistry 2' text book.
Reply 24
TheTallOne
I think it comes right after the HCN/KCN addition.

Basically it's a typical hydrolysis of proteins to amino acids.

Page 24, 43 and 50 if you have the 'Chemistry 2' text book.

OOH It's the nucleophilic addition reaction..Yesss gosh I am so dumb I do know that one.Dunno why I didnt strike the association.Thanks for the page references and all,will definately look it up tomorrow seeing as I didnt get that as quickly as I should have really:p:
Reply 25
I looked it up today and realised that it was one of the steps of the two-step synthesis of Lactic acid which I hadnt gone over properly :smile:
I wanted to ask,what exactly do we need to know about L-Amino Acids?I was looking through the specification and saw that it was mentioned there in the optical isomerism bit..Anyone?
Reply 26
sacrificing my chains rings and spec exam!!!!! :biggrin:! Im not going to do any revision for it, so that i can nail my biology exam first time :biggrin:

aw thats aloaod off my shoulders! as i would probally end up resiting in june anyway :biggrin:
lol l amino acids, i dont think so
Esma
I looked it up today and realised that it was one of the steps of the two-step synthesis of Lactic acid which I hadnt gone over properly :smile:
I wanted to ask,what exactly do we need to know about L-Amino Acids?I was looking through the specification and saw that it was mentioned there in the optical isomerism bit..Anyone?

Do you mean a-aminoacids (as in alpha?), otherwise I have never heard of an L-aminoacid :s-smilie:
JumpingJonny
Do you mean a-aminoacids (as in alpha?), otherwise I have never heard of an L-aminoacid :s-smilie:

L is a sort of notation for chiral molecules, it can either be L or D, with L being the natural version :smile:

From what I remember you do need to know about amino-acids for this exam.
Reply 30
Esma
Hmm..
I don't recall seeing that reaction anywhere tbh..Maybe I am just extremely tired.
From what I remember,you add HCl(hot)to a compound,it will hydrolyse it splitting it into two different monomers..I.e. Protiens -> Amino Acids etc .. Basically just reversing a condensation/Addition-elmination reaction.. Non?
Someone clarify for me please..I'm wellll tired:sigh:

what, i thought it was HCL 6mol dm^-3 and water...
dilute acid and water
you are correct DealerG
EierVonSatan
L is a sort of notation for chiral molecules, it can either be L or D, with L being the natural version :smile:

From what I remember you do need to know about amino-acids for this exam.

Yes you do, along with zwitterions etc, but its more reactions involving amino acids, i.e. substitution reactions. Oh and some polymer stuff
Also so D is the second isomer synthesised in a lab? (i.e. not by the human body?)
Reply 35
JumpingJonny

understand that chiral molecules prepared synthetically in the laboratory may contain a
mixture of optical isomers, whereas molecules of the same compound produced
naturally in living systems will often be present as one optical isomer only (for example:
L-amino acids).

it's there :frown:
JumpingJonny
Yes you do, along with zwitterions etc, but its more reactions involving amino acids, i.e. substitution reactions. Oh and some polymer stuff
Also so D is the second isomer synthesised in a lab? (i.e. not by the human body?)

Yeah D is the 'unnatural version' (well far less of it in nature anyway)
DealerG
understand that chiral molecules prepared synthetically in the laboratory may contain a
mixture of optical isomers, whereas molecules of the same compound produced
naturally in living systems will often be present as one optical isomer only (for example:
L-amino acids).

it's there :frown:

Oh okay, there is nearly always a question asking for the difference between the two.
Reply 38
EierVonSatan
Yeah D is the 'unnatural version' (well far less of it in nature anyway)

I don't understand this A and D stuff:frown:
Can you just give a brief explanation?
Esma
I don't understand this A and D stuff:frown:
Can you just give a brief explanation?

In nature (like your body) you will only synthesis one isomer, either optical or whatever (this is A), however if you want to produce it in the lab you will get a variety of different isomers (this is D), did you understnad that I dont think I explained it that well, if you have chemistry 2 then its page 46 onwards :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending