The Student Room Group

Astrobiology

Hi, I'm currently an A-level student studying Biology, chemistry and maths who's looking to pursue a career in astrobiology. At uni i am planning to study a biomedical science degree at Birmingham, Bristol, Warwick or Manchester and afterwards I am hoping to complete a masters degree in astrobiology at the university of Edinburgh to hopefully be able to do some research on astrobiology or Astro microbiology. If things do go wrong, the biomedical science degree can still help me with finding work in other sectors other than astrobiology such as microbiology. Does anybody here know anything about getting into a career for astrobiology and is this the right route I should take?
Original post by edamame21
Hi, I'm currently an A-level student studying Biology, chemistry and maths who's looking to pursue a career in astrobiology. At uni i am planning to study a biomedical science degree at Birmingham, Bristol, Warwick or Manchester and afterwards I am hoping to complete a masters degree in astrobiology at the university of Edinburgh to hopefully be able to do some research on astrobiology or Astro microbiology. If things do go wrong, the biomedical science degree can still help me with finding work in other sectors other than astrobiology such as microbiology. Does anybody here know anything about getting into a career for astrobiology and is this the right route I should take?

Did some of it during my MSc @ Edinburgh so can at least tell you that the content is right up the alley of those three subjects. It depends on what aspect of it you want to do. You could be simulating conditions to see if certain chemistries originate computationally (Computational Chemistry), studying extremophiles on Earth (microbiology/organic chemistry/...) to reach parallels with what might be out there, burying your life under a pile of spectroscopy (physics) and so forth- you might even go into engineering and make sampling instrumentation for a rover (Engineering, electrical or structural or otherwise) or the algorithms for transit spectroscopy (CompSci.) You could literally do anything and get into an area of expertise that focuses on Astrobiology.

Once you get to Edinburgh there's plenty of routes you can take.
Reply 2
Original post by Callicious
Did some of it during my MSc @ Edinburgh so can at least tell you that the content is right up the alley of those three subjects. It depends on what aspect of it you want to do. You could be simulating conditions to see if certain chemistries originate computationally (Computational Chemistry), studying extremophiles on Earth (microbiology/organic chemistry/...) to reach parallels with what might be out there, burying your life under a pile of spectroscopy (physics) and so forth- you might even go into engineering and make sampling instrumentation for a rover (Engineering, electrical or structural or otherwise) or the algorithms for transit spectroscopy (CompSci.) You could literally do anything and get into an area of expertise that focuses on Astrobiology.

Once you get to Edinburgh there's plenty of routes you can take.

That sounds great! I actually did a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on astrobiology from the university of Edinburgh and learnt a lot about extremophiles and the biological limit of life on Earth. I would hope to research extremophiles and on top of that I love organic chemistry so it seems like a good match for me personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending