The Student Room Group

PPE Oxford Written Work Submissions

The site says that applicants for this course are to submit:

"two marked pieces of written school or college work, including at least one essay."

Do they mean two papers which have been graded with a grade assigned (i.e. full of teacher markings)? Can we submit more than two, or two and only two? What subjects should they come from? Any other details about this? I am a little unclear as to what exactly they want. Thank you in advance.

-CluelessAmerican-
Reply 1
Got to be two.

If you've studied Phil, Pol or Econ before then anything from then is ideal. Also good is stuff from History or Sociology etc.

They also don't mind, if you haven't studied any of the above, you sending something from, say, English.

Under normal circumstances it has to be marked, graded, yeah.

I'm sending one philosophy essay (1000 words ish) and one history essay (2000 words ish) both of which i have done in the course of my studies.

Just send whatever work you think represents you best. :smile:
Thank you to those who have responded. Please keep it coming! :smile:
Reply 3
CluelessAmericn
Thank you to those who have responded. Please keep it coming! :smile:

Although I do not have to submit written work (I am applying for Law at Oxford) I believe one essay should be under timed conditions and the other should be an ordinary assignment. Both have to be marked under normal school conditions and the essays should be on politics, philosopy or economics if you take those subjects at school or even History I believe has much relevance to PPE (it is a 'helpful' subject in the prospectus) with much History being politically orientated. Hope that helps a tad
Reply 4
I've also appled for PPE, and I'm sending in one economics essay (about fiscal policy, so it covers politics too, yay!) and one Theory of Knowledge essay. Both about 1400 words, one timed, one home assignment, the former hand written and the latter typed.
Reply 5
Blamps
one essay should be under timed conditions
Has anyone got a source / can confirm this? :confused:
Reply 6
llama boy
Has anyone got a source / can confirm this? :confused:

I wouldn't worry about it - I submitted one basis-for-coursework essay (decent length and made sense, but needed work to fit coursework criteria) so it was unmarked, and another homework/coursework preparation assignment of my own creation that my teacher marked. Neither was timed and they didn't seem to have a problem with them - all that came up in the interview was a brief reference to the first essay, when they questioned me to clarify a point.

(and i got an offer, so they can't have been too worried about one of the essays not having been marked, and neither of them having been timed!)
Reply 7
*~Sarah~*
I wouldn't worry about it - I submitted one basis-for-coursework essay (decent length and made sense, but needed work to fit coursework criteria) so it was unmarked, and another homework/coursework preparation assignment of my own creation that my teacher marked. Neither was timed and they didn't seem to have a problem with them - all that came up in the interview was a brief reference to the first essay, when they questioned me to clarify a point.

(and i got an offer, so they can't have been too worried about one of the essays not having been marked, and neither of them having been timed!)

My first interview was actually based mainly around one of my essays. I submitted three; two were completed during the normal course and one I kind of wrote and had marked especially for that purpose, but they said that it was allowed in my case because I had not studied that subject before. I think the written work is more important than people make out because it shows how you write and your general potential, but is still only a support to the interview system which is still the main bastion of the admissions process.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 8
I've sent off a Politics Essay, about 1000 words, and an Economics Essay, about 4000 words (it went on a bit....). They're marked but with no grade so I hope thats ok! I just sent them off as they were the most recent pieces of work I had completed

Latest

Trending

Trending