The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Hey Guys, I´m hoping to get into the 6 year Vet Science course in UVM, Kosice.

My situation is a bit different to a school leaver though. I am 23 and already have a degree, but it is in an irrelevant subject (Economics). Also, I have Biology Grade A at A-level, but not Chemistry, so I´m hoping to do a one year intensive course starting this summer.

Does anyone have any idea what standard the Biology and Chemistry exams are? Is it above A-Level? Is it even important whether or not I have Chemistry A-Level as long as I can pass the entrance exams?

Lastly, do the applications for 2010 entry close 15th October the same as UCAS?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

John

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
there is someone on here that goes there, it might be best to find them an give them a PM, i cant remember their name, but it had UVM in i think
Reply 2
HannahUVM I believe. One of my friends is going there next year, I believe you may be eligible for the four year degree depending on the degree you have. I'll ask her and see if I can find out.
Reply 3
Her name is HannahUVM. She's lovely and will answer any questions you have. I don't think they work to the same deadline as UCAS, you can apply quite late into the year. I'll just check some emails that I had about it and see if I can find you the link....

EDIT: http://www.medstudy.org/?cl=universities_list&iid=1&PHPSESSID=624d47d102cee8b6773e58de470b608d you have to apply through IMS, bit like UCAS.

This is the uni website: http://www.uvm.sk/english/show.php?page=../dept/teach/zas.html
Hey, i've applied to UVM to start in september, but for the 4 year course. Are you hoping to start this sept or in sept 2010? Anyway, first of all the applications are not the same as ucas, for entry in sept 2009 they close at the end of May, so you could apply now and start this semptember instead. I got some questions that are in the entrance exams and theyre really easy, with my higher chemistry that i did 4 years ago i could still answer nearly all and i think with a quick look over some notes they could all be done, so they are definately not any higher than school leaver levels. I might still have them actually so i can try and dig them out if you want? Emmm... i cant remember if you asked anything else, but if you want to ask anything just add me on msn or email me, im [email protected]

Your best bet is to contact the admissions woman at UVM, she's a bit slow at replying but she gets there eventually, if you explain your situation she could probably explain a lot. Hope this helps!
0404343m
HannahUVM I believe. One of my friends is going there next year, I believe you may be eligible for the four year degree depending on the degree you have. I'll ask her and see if I can find out.

Christopher Miller is that you? Talking about me behind my back as well!!!! Well you don't need to ask me anymore, i found it under my own steam. Did you go to cheesy last night? actually this is probably better for a text...ha
Reply 6
Hey, Don't worry about being different to the average school leaver. We have a lot of people like you here. There are a few older people on the 6 year course, one I know is 25 and another is older than that. There are also older people on the 4 year course (up to 32 in my year) and I don't think everyone has relevant degrees, we just all have on of some sort or another so you might be eligable for it.
The biology and chemistry exams aren't very difficult from what I have heard. It doesn't matter if you don't have the subjects at a-level because you just get taught them here anyway on the 6 year course. As long as you pass the exams it's all cool though it helps to have a little background knowledge.
The applications for entry close really late. There is an official deadline sometime around may/june i think but it's very flexible. One girl applied a week after term began and was accepted. Not advised though.
If you have any more questions I am happy to answer them. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Thanks for your replies, thats awesome news, just trying to work out if I will have time to learn enough Chemistry and revise enough Biology to pass the entrance exam this year, probably not though as Im backpacking round the world at the moment and am due to get back mid June!

However, I suppose I could come back early because the thought of starting a whole year earlier is pretty appealing, so tigercallie or HannahUVM, if you have any of the examination papers or example questions, that would be really useful! All I can find from the website links is the specification of what topics you might be tested on!

If I was to take the later entrance exam in 2009 and fail, would it put me at a disadvantage for 2010 entry?
Or would it be possible to do a 2009 premedical preparation course detailed on the IMS website and try to pass those final exams which would grant me entry to the course automatically, hopefully for 2009 entry?

Sorry to fire so many questions at you, just trying to work out if its going to be possible for me to start in 2009!!

Thanks!
Reply 8
I'll ask some people on the six year course today about what the entrance exams were like for you. You could try emailing Nicol (whose email is on the UVM website) and seeing if you would be accepted on the 4 year program because you already have a degree and if you are then you are less likely to have to do the entrance exam but as it's not science then you might have to. From all accounts it's really not too difficult. I don't know anyone that's failed the entrance exam so I'm afraid I cant say whether it would disadvantage you for the next year but I don't think so as long as you did it better the next year.
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do the premed preparation course. I think most people pass them so it would definitely be a way one to the course.
Yup i'll look out those questions and everything else i have. Whats your email so i can send it to you?
Reply 10
Hey, thanks for all your help on this, Ive been in touch to IMS and they have been strongly recommending that I study in Warsaw, Poland at SGGW instead.

Apparently this course is RCVS accredited too even though it doesn't say so on the IMS website.

Do any of you guys know anything about this place?
johnkenyon99
Hey, thanks for all your help on this, Ive been in touch to IMS and they have been strongly recommending that I study in Warsaw, Poland at SGGW instead.

Apparently this course is RCVS accredited too even though it doesn't say so on the IMS website.

Do any of you guys know anything about this place?

Just out of interest, why did they recommend you to go there?
They recommend it because the admin in UVM is so slow but the course is just as good. Once you've applied and know one or two current students to help out then it's easy enough. I think IMS are just frustrated with the slowness but don't let that put you off. You have the chance of the 4 year course here which there isn't at Warsaw and there's a good group of people here. I think the ones that most people go to are Budapest and UVM.
Oh and don't listen to IMS because one of the guys on my course asked the Royal College about the universities abroad and what they thought of them and he was recommended specifically to come here for the course (obviously they don't know about the admin side) so it's definitely good and was considered more highly than both Budapest and Brno, those being the next two in line. I'd say listen to your own countries regulating bodies advice, maybe ring them and ask about their views on the courses because they do know about them. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reply 14
I finally have a reply from IMS and apparently they recommended Warsaw because they are impressed with the facility and have had good reviews from international students studying there, also the course is 5 and a half years instead of 6 which is a little better! I'll probably end up applying to the both of them and then will make a decision after visiting the campuses.

There seems to be lots of information and reviews available for UVM, but I am having trouble finding much information about Warsaw. Anyone able to help?
i cant help but does anyone have any info about any of the vet unis in poland? if i dont get into the uk/ireland next year i want to go to poland
I've heard that Brno is good for horses but that's pretty much all I know apart from that the course is very similar to the one I'm on.
Reply 17
I'm also in doubt between Warsaw and Kosice, but I can't find any info either. So did you receive any comment from anybody else on Warsaw??
Reply 18
No, so far not heard from anyone studying at Warsaw, from what I can work out the courses seem very similar and both are fully accredited.

So it may well just come down to where you would prefer to live, I have heard that Kosice has a really nice atmosphere but Warsaw I'm sure could be awesome fun! Just looking to get in touch with a British or Irish vet student at Warsaw to talk to now, will let you know if I hear anything!

My plan is to apply to both universities at the same time through IMS and then make a decision after visiting both campuses.
Reply 19
No, so far not heard from anyone studying at Warsaw, from what I can work out the courses seem very similar and both are fully accredited.

So it may well just come down to where you would prefer to live, I have heard that Kosice has a really nice atmosphere but Warsaw I'm sure could be awesome fun! Just looking to get in touch with a British or Irish vet student at Warsaw to talk to now, will let you know if I hear anything!

My plan is to apply to both universities at the same time through IMS and then make a decision after visiting both campuses.

Quick Reply

Latest