The Student Room Group

Bloomberg Internship

Hey guys,

I haven't been successful in securing an investment banking (IBD) internship for this summer. I still aim to eventually get into IBD. At the moment I'm considering applying for the Bloomberg Financial Sales summer internship. Say if I were to apply for full time roles in investment banks later this year how would this internship experience look to the ibanks? Bear in mind that I've already done an internship in investment banking (last summer). Would I be better off just going travelling or volunteering this summer? I don't want it to look like that I'm not committed to a career in investment banking (I'm worried this is the impression banks will get if I intern somewhere like Bloomberg).

Cheers,

V1000

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Stupid question IMO. An internship in anything remotely related to banking is something to cherish in this climate. The IBs will certainly not look down on a Bloomberg internship as there's a lot you'll be able to learn. The banks are clearly aware at how difficult it is for grads at the minute, so any internship you secure will surely be looked upon favourably.

This said, Bloomberg internships are still pretty competitive, so there's no guarantee you'll get one. In fact, they may even see through your plan of using it for the CV as opposed to actually wantin a grad job there...
Reply 2
V1000
Hey guys,

I haven't been successful in securing an investment banking (IBD) internship for this summer. I still aim to eventually get into IBD. At the moment I'm considering applying for the Bloomberg Financial Sales summer internship. Say if I were to apply for full time roles in investment banks later this year how would this internship experience look to the ibanks? Bear in mind that I've already done an internship in investment banking (last summer). Would I be better off just going travelling or volunteering this summer? I don't want it to look like that I'm not committed to a career in investment banking (I'm worried this is the impression banks will get if I intern somewhere like Bloomberg).

Cheers,

V1000

I interned at Bloomberg last summer in the Sales division (will do so again this summer too) and the summer internship coupled with few other work experience and ECs got me spring programme offers from GS securities, JPM and Morgan Stanley. So having Bloomberg on your CV will actually help when you do want to head towards the IB route. Bloomberg is fully aware that many people use them as the 'stepping-stone', however the interviewers won't use that against you during the interviews. Definitely apply to their summer internship, well worth the 10 weeks.
Reply 3
Brown_Bateman
While it's great that you got those offers, it's a bit silly on your part to compare the previous experience required for spring programs (none) with that required for those going into grad recruitment.

Simply stating that having Bloomberg in your CV does not affect your chance of getting anything from Investment Banks. i.e. banks don't look down on bbg summer internship
Reply 4
Brown_Bateman
Your statement was based on your success in spring applications though, which as I said earlier, was a silly comparison to make. With the potential number of people with summer internships in investment banks also going through the grad scheme with the OP next year, I don't think you're in a position to comment on how banks view a bloomberg internship based on your spring week success.

I received 5 spring offers, but my only previous work experience was working in Tesco. QED

Good point, read OP's initial post incorrectly
Reply 5
loggins

This said, Bloomberg internships are still pretty competitive, so there's no guarantee you'll get one. In fact, they may even see through your plan of using it for the CV as opposed to actually wantin a grad job there...

I'm pretty sure they won't hold it against you.

I mean having your former sales interns going to work for your major customers ? - that's a gift-horse. Bloomberg probably makes more profits from it's former interns who now work for banks than from the interns it hires as grads.
Reply 6
Hey KK89, what department did you work in for your internship?
I went for the assessment day & I now have a second interview coming up, any info on what they ask and what the format is? Apparently it's a 30-40 minute interview. It's for a sales/installations summer internship. Any info would be much appreciated! Cheers
Reply 7
ttx
I'm pretty sure they won't hold it against you.

I mean having your former sales interns going to work for your major customers ? - that's a gift-horse. Bloomberg probably makes more profits from it's former interns who now work for banks than from the interns it hires as grads.

Haha, that's one way of looking at it I guess...
KAJE10
Hey KK89, what department did you work in for your internship?
I went for the assessment day & I now have a second interview coming up, any info on what they ask and what the format is? Apparently it's a 30-40 minute interview. It's for a sales/installations summer internship. Any info would be much appreciated! Cheers

Mate, I also interned at Bloomberg in their sales division last year. Good experience and if you get it you will love the free food lol!!
Second interview could consist of:-

do a swat analysis on Bloomberg in current market conditions.
why technology and not investment banking (basically blagg it)
what are you selling techniques?
When have you worked as part of a team?
Bloomberg is about innovation, when have you been innovative?
Reply 9
Got AC coming up next week for Sales... Do Bloomberg cover travel costs for interviews? Also, might need to get to London the night before, because the interview is first thing in the morning and am coming from oop north, so are they likely to pay for a hotel?
Reply 10
any tips for a bloomberg Global data interview?
Reply 11
Jibzy
any tips for a bloomberg Global data interview?

Financial data processing?
Do Bloomberg let first years undertake an internship?
Just with Jibzy asking and the fact that many of you have completed an internship at Bloomberg and have then moved on. Or are you all Msc students?
Reply 13
West Ham Banker
Do Bloomberg let first years undertake an internship?
Just with Jibzy asking and the fact that many of you have completed an internship at Bloomberg and have then moved on. Or are you all Msc students?

Yes they do
Reply 14
LoZEr
Financial data processing?

yess
Reply 15
Sounds fun...
Reply 16
whats going on with bloomberg's careers website? everytime I type it, it takes me to about.bloomberg.com 98% WTF??
Reply 17
That was really good advice, i'll swat up on those things for sure.

Is there anything else you can tell me about your interview? Any more questions? Did yours last 30-40 mins? Is it just an interview?
Was there another stage after that, or did they tell you on the day?

Really appreciate your help!!! :biggrin:
Global data last summer had to do projects on all sort of things such as shipping and oilfields!! So that might help you for your interview. From what I remember they had basically the same interview questions as sales interns!!
Reply 19
Got an offer from Bloomberg last week. Anybody else here in Financial Sales?

Latest

Trending

Trending