The Student Room Group

Msc applications

Hello guys,
i am a greek citizen and i have recently graduated from my university in greece . My field is accounting& Finance. i would like to pursue a career in finance, that's why i intend to apply for some msc programmes in finance in uk. My favourite unis is (imperial,ucl,kcl,wbs, bath, durham, endiburgh).
I would like to say a little bit about my profile and tell me which are my chances to be accepted by those unis. My main problem is that I don’t have a gmat , is this enough to prevent me from attending those courses? Thank you.
First class honours degree in bsc Accounting&Finance
One and a half years of internships in a big Greek financial company
Ielts (7/9)
3 academic and professional references
Member of finance club at my uni
Courses from coursera,udemy,cfi,Bloomberg
Volunteer in Hellenic red cross
B1 in german language
Original post by george1578
Hello guys,
i am a greek citizen and i have recently graduated from my university in greece . My field is accounting& Finance. i would like to pursue a career in finance, that's why i intend to apply for some msc programmes in finance in uk. My favourite unis is (imperial,ucl,kcl,wbs, bath, durham, endiburgh).
I would like to say a little bit about my profile and tell me which are my chances to be accepted by those unis. My main problem is that I don’t have a gmat , is this enough to prevent me from attending those courses? Thank you.
First class honours degree in bsc Accounting&Finance
One and a half years of internships in a big Greek financial company
Ielts (7/9)
3 academic and professional references
Member of finance club at my uni
Courses from coursera,udemy,cfi,Bloomberg
Volunteer in Hellenic red cross
B1 in german language

You've got the basis of a solid application for any of those, (I work in postgrad admissions :wink: ). I am assuming that you have checked your degree's equivalency on a couple of their international requirement pages?

With regards to GMAT, some unis don't need it, or don't weight it that heavily compared to your academics. So you would need to look at their entry requirement guidance to check, (or drop them an email to confirm).
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
You've got the basis of a solid application for any of those, (I work in postgrad admissions :wink: ). I am assuming that you have checked your degree's equivalency on a couple of their international requirement pages?

With regards to GMAT, some unis don't need it, or don't weight it that heavily compared to your academics. So you would need to look at their entry requirement guidance to check, (or drop them an email to confirm).

thanks for the response. yes, i have checked my degree's equivalency and i think that i exceed by a lot the minimum requirement. All the programmes that i cited say that a gmat score is recommended and may strengthen your application, that's why i am a bit stressed.
thanks for the response. yes, i have checked my degree's equivalency and i think that i exceed by a lot the minimum requirement. All the programmes that i cited say that a gmat score is recommended and may strengthen your application, that's why i am a bit stressed.

I can understand that, especially as their wording is a bit contradictory, ("recommended" and "may").

Is it feasible for you to do the GMAT for the next application cycle? Or is it a time/money issue?

Personally, I think that if your academics are clearly above the requirements then it's worth risking an application to a couple of them, even without the GMAT. It might be worth emailing them and asking directly, "I plan on applying without the GMAT, can you advise whether I would be at a serious disadvantage compared to candidates with it?". Then you could apply to the unis that were most encouraging.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I can understand that, especially as their wording is a bit contradictory, ("recommended" and "may").

Is it feasible for you to do the GMAT for the next application cycle? Or is it a time/money issue?

Personally, I think that if your academics are clearly above the requirements then it's worth risking an application to a couple of them, even without the GMAT. It might be worth emailing them and asking directly, "I plan on applying without the GMAT, can you advise whether I would be at a serious disadvantage compared to candidates with it?". Then you could apply to the unis that were most encouragini

i have taken the GMAT two times, but i failed to score over 600 , which was my target score (580 two times) and for this reason i decided to apply without it. I know people from my uni who were accepted by these unis without taking this exam .
(edited 9 months ago)
i have taken the GMAT two times, but i failed to score over 600 , which was my target score (580 two times) and for this reason i decided to apply without it. I know people from my uni who were accepted by these unis without taking this exam .

In that case I'd enquire whether a low score would hinder you. If not, upload it anyway as it's not going to disadvantage you, (worst case, it just gets ignored).
Hi George,

You might be interested in Cranfield's Finance MSc course:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/masters-courses/finance

This postgraduate finance course (formerly Finance and Management MSc) is ranked as a UK top 10 and world top 50 Finance Master’s in International Business Rankings.

There are new merit-based (10-20%) and regional-based (£10,000) scholarships available for 2024 entry.

From looking at the website, I don't see any GMAT requirement.

If you have any questions I'm happy to try and help. (I see you're Greek, I know we have an active Greek society here! :smile:)

Gemma
2nd year Environment & Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending