The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I'll be studying at the Pharmacy school. For enrolment, I'm not sure whther to come by car or catch the train. I'm staring at one of thos centro card leaflets as I speak. Would it be worth getting the full bus AND rail pass, or just rail pass? How far is Pharmacy school from Aston station?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 721
im going to need a wiereless card now. i thougth aston might have put in place a backup system of an ethernet connection in rooms just incase the wirelsss fails.

hmmm. time to start counting the days again.

get a travel card if your going to be traveling to an from uni everyday, as in not living out. in booklets and the prospectus is says no parking for students. there will probably be paid parking somewere but i doubt itll be cheap.
Reply 722
I wouldn't worry too much about wireless cards. If you cant get them at the uni shop, Toys R us in the city centre has loads of them for £20 (Belkin 54g PCI and USB Adapters both). I got one from there, and its pretty good.

Here's a list of the services u can get in the halls. Have to say connection signal, quality and speed is pretty good (maybe cos there aren't too many students around :wink: ) Real test will be when all the students come back as to what speeds you're getting. I've signed up for the 12 months 512k package for £150 as its less hassle than paying monthly :smile:

Reply 723
tryingmylck
I'll be studying at the Pharmacy school. For enrolment, I'm not sure whther to come by car or catch the train. I'm staring at one of thos centro card leaflets as I speak. Would it be worth getting the full bus AND rail pass, or just rail pass? How far is Pharmacy school from Aston station?

STOP STOP STOP

DO NOT use Aston Station. Aston rail station is absolutely miles away and will take you ages and ages to walk to.

The nearest stations are Snow Hill (ten min walk), Moor Street (ten minute walk) and New street (15 minute walk)

Aston Uni is in the City Centre, not in Aston itself.

Hope Ive cleared up any confusion and saved you getting lost lol
Reply 724
btw, If youve recently bought a laptop, many of the newer ones above £500 include built in wireless (Not the card) - it may not be neccesary for you to buy a wireless card. So id check tht before you do. Pointless wasting 11 quid or so for a decent card for you to already have the capability.
Reply 725
Im going to the open day today
Reply 726
raa. that annual package thing is pretty decent. i thought the 256kbps line was expensive at 10 bouk a month but for an extra £2.5 per month you can just get a 512kbps line.

cheers for sharing that leo.
Reply 727
yeah the annual 512 package looks allright. But still, I would have expected a free internet in a university accommodation...
Reply 728
astonbitch - what was your timetable like for CompforBus in the first term?

Was there LOTS of lectures? Any days off?

I know it will be diferent but want an idea.
Reply 729
al-ien
yeah the annual 512 package looks allright. But still, I would have expected a free internet in a university accommodation...

Well, you do get free access in the computer labs 24 hours (except CS ones, where you have to pay £5 for the whole year for Out of Hours Access). I think its pretty good they've provided access (even paid) in the rooms as the first 2 years I was here, there was none and it was a real pain going all the way to the labs all the time just to check your email or chat with someone.

Although the 512 package is a little slow as compared to what u get outside, its pretty good value at £12.50 a month, if all you want is to check your mail, chat, do a bit of research or play a few games (getting pretty good pings btw :biggrin: )
Reply 730
Also, have to mention the connection is definitely faster than 512k, I think its a 2MB line which is being throttled as most of my downloads start at around 2 meg and then settle at 512k speeds eventually.
Reply 731
If Aston was a bigger university im sure they would strive to provide free net. But I doubt it is plausable, given the small size of the uni in comparison to unis that do give free broadband, such as Manchester.
Reply 732
do manchester give free access?

im pretty sure speed will start dieing next week.lol.

oh yea and £85 for 12 months? we aint even going to be living there for the whole year so thats kind of a weird one.
Reply 733
Manchester do apparently (accprding to gf)
Reply 734
if accomodation at manachester is less than £100 a week id consider that to be decent.

oh yea, another question. currently im looking for a phone contract (my first one) seeing as uni will prob rinse me on my beloved o2 pay as you go which ive had for over 5 years.

my mate told me she had phone peoples come to the freshers fair to offer some really good contracts to students.

will there be some phone mans (companies or shops) being represented at our freshers day with some nice deals?

i really wana go contract.
Just a thought, how long does it take to get the internet in your room? My friend's desperate to talk to me as soon as humanly possible
Reply 736
if you have a wireless network adaptor / card / chip its very easy and takes 10minutes. Pick up a leaflet in whichever porters lodge you have to collect keys from.

beN
Reply 737
silence has seem to come over the aston section. could this be a farewell to aston 2005 students?

typical of me im still packing, and having a break i thought id check whats happening but erm nothing is. most of you lot probably at that first freshers night. enjoy......................time for more packing :smile:
I'm here! Got my Internet sorted and everything!

Everyone have fun last night?
Reply 739
anyone in private accommodation got any spare rooms?any freshers plz help! [email protected] my accommodation fell through and now im truely screwed!!!! Thanks, Liam

Latest