The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

do you mean, is your school mixed? if thats what you mean then yes is the answer!
Reply 81
Why did leave you school. I could never do that. my school is everything i have great life going out at weekends playing for my school
Reply 82
So what that like. What school are you at
Reply 83
I come from a working class background. There's nothing wrong from whatever background you come from, it's what you make of it that matters.
Reply 84
The Public school i attended was all boys. So was its sixth form. The comprehensive I now attend is mixed.
Reply 85
Would you send your children to the school you where at.My father was at my school so my chilren will go my school. and so on
Reply 86
brasil85
Would you send your children to the school you where at.My father was at my school so my chilren will go my school. and so on

White Hart Lane lol no probably a normal community skl with like an average pass rate... bout 50% pass rate wil do :wink:
Reply 87
Im not old enough to be thinking of having children, but when I do I will give them the choice to go where they want, I will present my views as well, but if they want to go to public school i will support them fully.
Though I would have my reservations!
Reply 88
Mad Caddie
Im not old enough to be thinking of having children, but when I do I will give them the choice to go where they want, I will present my views as well, but if they want to go to public school i will support them fully.
Though I would have my reservations!

well reasoned hehe
Reply 89
Godmaster
well reasoned hehe

thnx
Reply 90
NikNak
From the people I seen from private schools (like brasil85), I actually feel sorry for them...it's a shame that these schools are making people into these kinds of idiots.

I would never want to go to a private school whether someone paid for me or not.

I completely agree giving the precedent being set in this forum! However, it must be noted that not all privately educated people are this way. Many of my best friends and indeed my boyfriend have been privately educated and are not pretentious or socially inept. I do agree with whoever said it earlier, grammar schools should make a comeback-they have been my saving grace anyway.
Reply 91
brasil85
Yes I have money ok but I am not rich. People have some idea of you being rich with lots of money

That is what private school does? You'd get better education from a college.
Reply 92
brasil85
Working class are different to me. I don't know any working class but would like to meet some. From places up north

Working class people have two arms, two legs, two eyes etc.
Surely they're just like you.
Koloth
I come from a working class background. There's nothing wrong from whatever background you come from, it's what you make of it that matters.

Welcome to UK-learning
Reply 94
brasil85
Working class people need help ok so why not give them the best.

Brasil, techniquely there is no such thing as class divisions any more.every1 is equal. if u must insist on calling hard working ppl "working class" n ppl hu r richer "upper class" then yes i believe "working class" ppl shud have equal oppourtunites as the better off. why shud ur education depend on how much money ur parents or you have?......it should't at all. thats why they should bring back government assisted places 4 children hu want 2 get a good education but cannot afford it.
Reply 95
What is working class then?. do we still have a working class in this country any more. I am not sure. From What I can see you find only Upper middle class lower middle class. The upper middle class will normall have to work.
Reply 96
Koloth

It is more difficult at a state school to succeed, as you've got more idiots who don't want to learn. If people are made to pay for an education, then the parents are far more likely to push the child.

The main problem is that you have much larger class sizes in state schools coupled with bad kids who take more of the teacher's time up, meaning that you get less one-to-one tuition. I'm not saying that people who get fantastic grades at private or grammar schools are not deserving of them, as they clearly require a huge amount of effort, but you have to work that bit harder to achieve the same grades at a state school. You have to have a great deal of self-motivation to succeed in a school where you're look upon as inferior if you're intelligent (although in sixth form the roles seem to reverse :smile:).

Having said that, I don't think I'd of liked to have been in a private school, simply because I think I've learnt a fair bit about how to succeed in the "real world" as well. (Except I would have liked at least some practise for my uni interview :rolleyes: ).

From a northerner at a true comprehensive. :tongue:
At 11 I turned down a scholarship to a private school to go to the local comp. I didn't like the atmosphere of the place or the attitude of the students and staff. I knew that an environment which tried to force me to learn when I didn't want to would only be counterproductive and cause me to rebel...even at the age of 7 my primary school teachers realised that forcing me to do work which I found pointless and mundane was a waste of time...I skipped a lot of work and cut deals wherever I could to do a smaller amount of the dull work before moving onto the more interesting stuff (Thank you Mrs Glover :smile: ).

My area didn't have grammars but the huge provision of private schools meant that there was a two teir system anyway. I'm glad I chose to go to a school who feel proud of my achievements rather than one which would be disappointed if I hadn't helped improve their average. My school and my teachers were great, and if I ever have children I intend to send them to the local comp and provide any support they need myself.

Studies have shown time and again that achievement is not related to what school you attend but to the attitude and encouragement of your parents.
Reply 98
I trying to work out what makes a working class person from a middle class person. I don't have many working class friends so I don't have any idea
Reply 99
brasil85
I trying to work out what makes a working class person from a middle class person. I don't have many working class friends so I don't have any idea

The thing that amuses me about people when denying they are working class but say they're middle class, is that as soon as it is more favourable to align with the working classes (e.g. scholarships to selective/independent schools or entry to prestigious universities) they forget their middle class pretensions and all of a sudden describe themselves as working class. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending