The Student Room Group

Maths A Level overall grade issues

This year has been a little messed up. Last year, we sat P1, S1 & D&D1 modules, in which I achieved A grades.

This year, the teachers decided to opt for moving from the Pure modules to Core modules, meaning I had to scrap my P1 score, and almost do a resit with C1/2.

This year, we have been made to sit papers C1-4. In January I sat C1 & 2 and results were fine, but to be quite honest, I don't think we've allowed enough time to do all the C3 & C4 work, and so I am struggling.

The C3 paper is in a weeks time, and there is no way I can do enough preparation for it. However, I NEED an A in maths overall for the course I wish to do at Uni.

To help put my mind at rest, what grades, roughly, would I require from papers C3 & 4, based on the fact that I currently have As in the other 4 modules I have sat? Do C3&4 account for more of the overall grade, or is their importance equal to that of the D&D1, S1 and C1&2 papers I have sat already?

I think I got around high 80s and low 90s for the Core papers I have sat so far, about 90 for Stats, and 100 in the D&D paper if this helps making any judgement. I can't seem to find how much each paper is worth.

In other subjects, I have been told I need like a B & C in the papers coming up to secure an A overall. Will this apply to Maths too?
Reply 1
alcoholic
This year has been a little messed up. Last year, we sat P1, S1 & D&D1 modules, in which I achieved A grades.

This year, the teachers decided to opt for moving from the Pure modules to Core modules, meaning I had to scrap my P1 score, and almost do a resit with C1/2.

This year, we have been made to sit papers C1-4. In January I sat C1 & 2 and results were fine, but to be quite honest, I don't think we've allowed enough time to do all the C3 & C4 work, and so I am struggling.

The C3 paper is in a weeks time, and there is no way I can do enough preparation for it. However, I NEED an A in maths overall for the course I wish to do at Uni.

To help put my mind at rest, what grades, roughly, would I require from papers C3 & 4, based on the fact that I currently have As in the other 4 modules I have sat? Do C3&4 account for more of the overall grade, or is their importance equal to that of the D&D1, S1 and C1&2 papers I have sat already?

I think I got around high 80s and low 90s for the Core papers I have sat so far, about 90 for Stats, and 100 in the D&D paper if this helps making any judgement. I can't seem to find how much each paper is worth.

In other subjects, I have been told I need like a B & C in the papers coming up to secure an A overall. Will this apply to Maths too?

The first c3/c4 papers are being sat this summer so the board wont make them particularly difficult. I imagine the upcoming January exams will be tough for the core modules.
Reply 2
if the a grades you already have are quite high, then you could get b's in those exams and probably still get an A overall
Reply 3
Out of curiousity , what exam board are you sitting maths under?
Reply 4
You need to add up the marks you've gained so far.

So for example if you have 90 in every exam you have 360 overall. You need 480 to get an A so just take the value away to get 120 and divide by 2, you'd need 60/100 on both papers to get an A :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the comments everyone.
DOJO, I am with OCR.

I have done some of the Specimen papers released though, and I find them extremely difficult, which is why I am quite worried.
Reply 6
alcoholic
Thanks for the comments everyone.
DOJO, I am with OCR.

I have done some of the Specimen papers released though, and I find them extremely difficult, which is why I am quite worried.

Keep doing past papers. If you know the syllabus fairly well, do selected questions from AQA. (they provide all past papers free on their website)

Aitch
Reply 7
manps
The first c3/c4 papers are being sat this summer so the board wont make them particularly difficult. I imagine the upcoming January exams will be tough for the core modules.

I've heard that the c3/c4 will be a lot like the c3/c4 specimen papers for edexcel , if that is the case, then c4 will be a nightmare!! The C4 specimen was unbelivably hard! :eek:

Latest