The Student Room Group

Should I be allowed to ‘stay off’?

I am currently in a sixth form in full time education. I was studying A level maths, A level physics and CTEC IT. However, I got distinctions in all my coursework and got the necessary grades in my test last year to achieve the highest possible overall grade. My teacher said I didn’t need to attend IT lessons anymore so I haven’t been since last October. This means that I no longer have any lessons on Tuesday and Friday, so I have been staying home to study with the permission of my ‘head of sixth form’s’. However the attendance officer is starting to ring my mum and has told the heads that I need to come in on those days. I am predicted A*s in both maths and physics and revise consistently. Am I entitled to stay at home on Tuesday and Friday to study?
Original post by mattjh-
I am currently in a sixth form in full time education. I was studying A level maths, A level physics and CTEC IT. However, I got distinctions in all my coursework and got the necessary grades in my test last year to achieve the highest possible overall grade. My teacher said I didn’t need to attend IT lessons anymore so I haven’t been since last October. This means that I no longer have any lessons on Tuesday and Friday, so I have been staying home to study with the permission of my ‘head of sixth form’s’. However the attendance officer is starting to ring my mum and has told the heads that I need to come in on those days. I am predicted A*s in both maths and physics and revise consistently. Am I entitled to stay at home on Tuesday and Friday to study?

For whom does the "attendance officer" work? The sixth form itself, or the local council / education authority?

In either case, if it were me (and this is not advice to you), I'd tell 'em to get lost. If you have a better chance of getting better grades and therefore getting a better start in life by staying at home for those two days (which seems to be the case) then it's absolute madness to make you go in.

Note that there is a law which requires those aged 16-18 to be in education, training or employment. So this is probably the basis of what the "attendance officer" is saying. However, that law has no enforcement action associated with it. So there can be no legal ramifications for you or your mum.

However, if the "attendance officer" works for the sixth form, and wants to kick-up a fuss, they may be able to cause issues for you - resulting in suspension (ironically!) or expulsion.

I assume you've tried to explain that this has all been agreed with your Head of Sixth Form?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
For whom does the "attendance officer" work? The sixth form itself, or the local council / education authority?

In either case, if it were me (and this is not advice to you), I'd tell 'em to get lost. If you have a better chance of getting better grades and therefore getting a better start in life by staying at home for those two days (which seems to be the case) then it's absolute madness to make you go in.

Note that there is a law which requires those aged 16-18 to be in education, training or employment. So this is probably the basis of what the "attendance officer" is saying. However, that law has no enforcement action associated with it. So there can be no legal ramifications for you or your mum.

However, if the "attendance officer" works for the sixth form, and wants to kick-up a fuss, they may be able to cause issues for you - resulting in suspension (ironically!) or expulsion.

I assume you've tried to explain that this has all been agreed with your Head of Sixth Form?

Yes, the attendance officer works for the sixth form. Although she hasn’t spoken to me directly, she has spoken to the heads. The heads have vouched for me to stay off and are doing as much as they can to allow me to do so but ultimately the attendance officer has more power in this. If this continues to be an issue I will ask to speak to the attendance officer face-to-face.
Original post by mattjh-
Yes, the attendance officer works for the sixth form. Although she hasn’t spoken to me directly, she has spoken to the heads. The heads have vouched for me to stay off and are doing as much as they can to allow me to do so but ultimately the attendance officer has more power in this. If this continues to be an issue I will ask to speak to the attendance officer face-to-face.

Good plan.

Quick Reply

Latest