The Student Room Group

Are my Gcse grades good enough for a Russel group?

Hi I would really love to get into a Russel group university however I am worried I will run into some issues due to my gcse grades.
In my GCSEs I got 7s in English lit and lang (and a distinction in speaking) a 7 in citizenship, 6s in Sociology and History, 5s in Religious studies and maths and a 5-4 in science.

I’m aware that compared to other people this will ultimately look quite low- for A levels im taking History, English Literature and Sociology + an epq and im aiming for A’s and an A* in the epq.

My absolute dream university’s are UCL and Royal Holloway and I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to still apply to them? Degree wise ultimately I believe I may end up doing History, English literature or politics however I do want to go into public relations and communications later in life so I am still ultimately deciding what degree is good enough for that.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on what I could do to strengthen my profile for university applications please share :smile: (im sorry im still new to this website so im not fully sure how it works)
There are a number of issues. Firstly Royal Holloway isnt RG although that is meaningless. Secondly the level of GCSEs varies between RG universities but you will be fine for most. UCL might need higher but you will need to check their entry requirements. It is worth applying as 1 of your 5 choices.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
There are a number of issues. Firstly Royal Holloway isnt RG although that is meaningless. Secondly the level of GCSEs varies between RG universities but you will be fine for most. UCL might need higher but you will need to check their entry requirements. It is worth applying as 1 of your 5 choices.

Thank you! I completely didn’t realise that Royal Holloway isn’t Russel group but that does not matter too much to me. I also do have the required grades for UCL for the courses I want its just a matter of if it would weaken my overall profile. I will apply but I wont expect an acceptance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending