The Student Room Group

My A-levels are a mess

Sorry for the long post, but I’m having a very tough time.

As a Year 12 student, I’m having a huge dilemma. I've made numerous mistakes since I started A-levels.

When GCSE results day came and it was time to choose my A-level options, I felt nothing but stress. I had no idea what to pick for A-levels and what to do as a future degree/career. I had a terrible experience with my career advisor in Year 11 which caused all of this. Most of my friends have already planned their futures whilst I am here clueless about what to do. I knew that the Sciences were highly valued and could lead to a range of degrees so I just picked Biology, Chemistry and Economics even though I absolutely hate Chemistry and I struggled a lot with it at GCSE (I didn't pick maths as I didn’t have the grade requirement for it). You may think I’m stupid, but I honestly had no idea about the whole medicine and dentistry thing with Bio and Chem A-levels. I just picked them because I thought they looked good. I don’t even like medicine. In fact, I could never see myself working in it. Unsurprisingly, I failed my Chemistry induction test and I wanted to change to something else as I just can’t do Chemistry at all (as for my future career, f*** it). I then changed to Geography as I loved it during GCSE and it was my strongest subject and wondered, why didn’t I pick it in the first place.

I was enjoying my A-level subjects but until mid-October, Biology was causing me many issues. I was really struggling with my mental health and for some reason, the subject was giving me stress. It was just the insane amount of memorisation you needed to know as well as the mark scheme being incredibly harsh and needing specific answers. Biology was one of my favourite subjects during GCSE so I was not expecting this. It was just so in-depth and mind-numbingly boring to study. At this point I thought ‘Anything is better than A-level Biology rn’ so I then switched to Politics. It fixed the issue with my mental health and I’m doing much better in Politics (as I am stronger at essay-based subjects) but now I’ve got an entirely new worry in my head.

I massively regret not picking History. I didn’t pick it at the start for a reason. I had an interest in Economics and I had always wanted to study it at A-level since Year 11. They were both in the same block so I had to pick either Economics or History. I was so s*** at GCSE maths and I honestly wasn’t sure if I would get the maths requirement for the course, which was a grade 6. I then got a grade 6 and went straight for it. Now, I’ve realised that History is a much stronger subject than Economics and is a facilitating subject. It would’ve helped a lot with my A-level Politics (as I could apply for courses such as History and Politics), as well as History by itself.

This is not to say that I don’t enjoy Economics, I do, but it’s just that I feel like it won’t help me in the future and I can’t study it at Uni without maths. I feel like if I had just done History instead of Economics, it would’ve given me more options to study at uni. I also have the fear that if I flop my A-levels, I won’t be able to apply to more courses in Clearing which require History. I like Geography, but studying it as a degree? I really don't know...

Now, I'm sure that I want to do Politics / International Relations at Uni, but I’m just worried about the lack of alternative courses as I didn’t pick History. Any advice? Should I try and switch to History? Sorry, I’m just having a really tough time here.
Original post by howdy07

As a Year 12 student, I’m having a huge dilemma. I've made numerous mistakes since I started A-levels.

When GCSE results day came and it was time to choose my A-level options, I felt nothing but stress. I had no idea what to pick for A-levels and what to do as a future degree/career. I had a terrible experience with my career advisor in Year 11 which caused all of this. Most of my friends have already planned their futures whilst I am here clueless about what to do. I knew that the Sciences were highly valued and could lead to a range of degrees so I just picked Biology, Chemistry and Economics even though I absolutely hate Chemistry and I struggled a lot with it at GCSE (I didn't pick maths as I didn’t have the grade requirement for it). You may think I’m stupid, but I honestly had no idea about the whole medicine and dentistry thing with Bio and Chem A-levels. I just picked them because I thought they looked good. I don’t even like medicine. In fact, I could never see myself working in it. Unsurprisingly, I failed my Chemistry induction test and I wanted to change to something else as I just can’t do Chemistry at all (as for my future career, f*** it). I then changed to Geography as I loved it during GCSE and it was my strongest subject and wondered, why didn’t I pick it in the first place.

I was enjoying my A-level subjects but until mid-October, Biology was causing me many issues. I was really struggling with my mental health and for some reason, the subject was giving me stress. It was just the insane amount of memorisation you needed to know as well as the mark scheme being incredibly harsh and needing specific answers. Biology was one of my favourite subjects during GCSE so I was not expecting this. It was just so in-depth and mind-numbingly boring to study. At this point I thought ‘Anything is better than A-level Biology rn’ so I then switched to Politics. It fixed the issue with my mental health and I’m doing much better in Politics (as I am stronger at essay-based subjects) but now I’ve got an entirely new worry in my head.

I massively regret not picking History. I didn’t pick it at the start for a reason. I had an interest in Economics and I had always wanted to study it at A-level since Year 11. They were both in the same block so I had to pick either Economics or History. I was so s*** at GCSE maths and I honestly wasn’t sure if I would get the maths requirement for the course, which was a grade 6. I then got a grade 6 and went straight for it. Now, I’ve realised that History is a much stronger subject than Economics and is a facilitating subject. It would’ve helped a lot with my A-level Politics (as I could apply for courses such as History and Politics), as well as History by itself.

This is not to say that I don’t enjoy Economics, I do, but it’s just that I feel like it won’t help me in the future and I can’t study it at Uni without maths. I feel like if I had just done History instead of Economics, it would’ve given me more options to study at uni. I also have the fear that if I flop my A-levels, I won’t be able to apply to more courses in Clearing which require History. I like Geography, but studying it as a degree? I really don't know...

Now, I'm sure that I want to do Politics / International Relations at Uni, but I’m just worried about the lack of alternative courses as I didn’t pick History. Any advice? Should I try and switch to History? Sorry, I’m just having a really tough time here.

Take a look at some of the content for A Level history, and see if you would enjoy studying that. One of my friends does history and I'm pretty sure it has coursework so watch out for that. Lots of unis don't really care what A Levels you take, just what you get. I have gotten three offers for law and I take media studies. Overall it's your choice, just make sure to take the maths aspect of economics into account.
Reply 2
Original post by RandomLawGuy
Take a look at some of the content for A Level history, and see if you would enjoy studying that. One of my friends does history and I'm pretty sure it has coursework so watch out for that. Lots of unis don't really care what A Levels you take, just what you get. I have gotten three offers for law and I take media studies. Overall it's your choice, just make sure to take the maths aspect of economics into account.

Thank you. What other A-levels are you doing that helped you apply for Law?
Original post by howdy07

Economics, Politics and Geography would enable you to study Economics at top 20 universities but I would advise you to apply for Politics degrees, as you have 3 traditional academic subjects. You could even consider PPE at Oxford and HSPS at Cambridge. 🙂
Original post by howdy07
Thank you. What other A-levels are you doing that helped you apply for Law?

I’m doing law, business studies and media studies

Quick Reply

Latest