The Student Room Group

GCSE Grade 7 in English Lang & Lit adequate for Oxford?

I plan to do Computer Science in Oxford after A levels.

For GCSEs I am confident that I will get a 9 in pretty much all my subjects(including the most relevant ones to my chosen course: Maths, Computing, Physics, etc.) EXCEPT English Lang, Lit and Spanish. I will probably get an 8 in Spanish.

My concern is with the Englishes: I hope to get 8s in both, but may end up with 7s. Do you think they would care much? I feel like a 7 is a bit low but I'm not sure.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

For GCSEs I am confident that I will get a 9 in pretty much all my subjects(including the most relevant ones to my chosen course: Maths, Computing, Physics, etc.) EXCEPT English Lang, Lit and Spanish. I will probably get an 8 in Spanish.

My concern is with the Englishes: I hope to get 8s in both, but may end up with 7s. Do you think they would care much? I feel like a 7 is a bit low but I'm not sure.

Well tbh it doesn't matter due to the fact 1 it is still a decent grade and 2 that it isn't relevant to the course you are taking. As far as I know please take it with a grain of salt, that they would more likely focus on ur a levels than gcse. Cambridge looks at your gcse grades to see overall academic performance but I haven't officially heard Oxford do it and if they do, 7 is an A and still good. If you get 8s and 9s then that 7s in English wouldn't be the end of the world. I hope this helps xx
- tricia
Original post by Trickia
Well tbh it doesn't matter due to the fact 1 it is still a decent grade and 2 that it isn't relevant to the course you are taking. As far as I know please take it with a grain of salt, that they would more likely focus on ur a levels than gcse. Cambridge looks at your gcse grades to see overall academic performance but I haven't officially heard Oxford do it and if they do, 7 is an A and still good. If you get 8s and 9s then that 7s in English wouldn't be the end of the world. I hope this helps xx
- tricia

Oxford looks at gcse grades alot more than Cambridge does
Original post by Anonymous

I'm unfamiliar with the computer science admissions process in particular, but it's very unlikely that your English grade would be an issue. For most subjects, GCSEs are just used as a way of contextualising your results, to try and separate your accomplishments from the school you went to. They calculate a cGCSE score based on the number of 8/9s you got compared to the average for your school, and use this in shortlisting. I'm studying History and Politics, and I got a 7 in English lit. I didn't even get a 9 in History.
Reply 4
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Oxford looks at gcse grades alot more than Cambridge does

Oh okay thanks xx
Reply 5
Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending