The Student Room Group

deloitte internship

hey did anyone do the deloitte summer internship last year?
if so what work did you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I take it you're refering to the summer internship? It seems to be taking me forever to actually finish the process. I'm really struggling to cut my sections down to the 100 word limit.

Have you finished applying yet? Which location are you hoping for?
yh summer 2010
how u finding the questions? yh the word limit is tight
lol i started it then forgot about it, but i will try and finish soon
i like corporate finance m&a, but it seems harder to get into than auditing or tax
tax seems really interesting though
but im applying for audit and tax rotation
which field u interested in?
vix_245
Hey guys, I was waiting for a thread like this to appear!
Have applied to london for the professional services rotation...got an assessment day on tuesday... :eek3: - he sums up my feelings perfectly!! So if anyone has any advice on that, would be awesome. Or if anyone is also doing it then too, that would be cool too :-)

Yea there are less places in corporate finance apparently according to a woman from grad. recruitment I spoke to. All looks pretty interesting though :-D

Applying anywhere else?

did u do a numerical test after u send ur application?
i dont no much about the assessment, but ive heard they ask you questions about your cv and yourself, there may also be a group assessment

havent finished deloitte yet, gona start pwc soon tho

you know the question about how does the services they provide benefit their clients...did u write much for it?
vix_245
Yep there was a numerical and verbal test, but as I took part on a programme before where I had to take them, I didnt need to do them again.

I mainly listed the service lines, what they are, and why a client needs them for that question.

how did your interview go? what is the next stage for you
hope it went well
Reply 5
vix_245
I find out today how my interview/assessment day went....AAAAAAAAAH!! :eek3: well scared haha the longer it takes the more holes i find in my interview...so am feeling unsure lol!
The assessment centre (with interview and e-tray) is the last stage for the SVS, its only graduates who have another interview with a partner afterwards.

Have you heard yet? I applied for consultancy earlier on today and just got an email about setting up a 1st stage telephone interview. I haven't even done any online tests so I'm pretty confused. I guess I have maths and english A levels so they'd assume I can do the tests ok. This will be my first interview, how scary! I sympathise with your :eek3: now! It doesn't seem to fit with the application process they have on the internet so I don't really know what's happening. Best of luck to you!
Reply 6
vix_245
nope I havent heard yet!! :frown: gutted! I have been on edge all day today!!!
Yep one of my friends had that phone interview today (before the tests), I think its used to clarify some points from the application form. And because he is international we think they wanted to check how he expressed himself using English. He said it wasn't too bad, they just asked him to explain career motivation etc.
Im pretty sure u will still have to do the tests - I have maths and further maths at A level and still had to do the numeracy test. They really arent too bad, for example the numeracy is mainly percentages and reading from charts and tables, and the verbal is kind of like reading comprehension.

Thanks for your wishes!! Yep it was my first face-to-face interview...I had one over the phone with HSBC last year which I really screwed up, but I think this went better, but it remains to see how much better it actually went haha!

:eek3: for us both!! Good luck!!

Oh that's annoying, hopefully you'll hear on Monday then.

Heh, maybe they decided to do the phone interview since I'm from NI and wanted to check I'm understandable. So are there no competencies then?
Reply 7
vix_245
Check ur understandable... LOL!! :biggrin: cant be that bad surely :p:

You'd be surprised! I have a really bad habit of talking far too fast.

Well my friend said that they basically asked him to repeat most of his application form, so make sure u know whats on there. Also asked some career motivation and a bit of communication and social interaction. Not too taxing he said

Cool, that's really helpful, thank you! Are you going to call Deloitte or just wait until Monday?
Reply 8
Whey, well done! I can't believe people are getting offers and it's still only mid-August.
Reply 9
It was today, I'm waiting to hear back. She said it'd be within three days but I don't know if they stick to that. It was ok really, I'll not be surprised if I get rejected - I keep thinking of things I could have said which would have sounded good. It was useful experience though.
Reply 10
Oooh, I got through actually, yay! I don't think people have ever been 'most impressed' by me as much as Deloitte's HR emailing system has. At least the tests are standard so I can practise lots.
congrats both of you.
vix what questions do they ask you in the interview...did u have to do presentations, group work etc
what questions did they ask you then?
how was the e-tray
so nervous... ur so lucky ur in
been really lazy need to send it of asap
any advice?
btw is it SHL or PSL that the tests are based on?
thanks
hows your friend doing, has he/she got an offer yet?
im suprised they giving out offers already, its obv good...but do you know when the deadline is
how long after you submit your application do they give you do complete your tests?

do you know if any other accounting firms are open, I heard pwc were, but i cannot seem to find it on their website?

vix_245
YAY well done!! Yes, look through the practise tests...the Deloitte ones are by a company called SHL...google them and u can find some on their website :smile:
Keep me up to date!!
Reply 16
After you apply they email you about the first test in a couple of days. You have 72 hours to do each test. They're generally pretty fast at getting back to you. After doing the tests I got told the next day that I'd got an interview (though they haven't got in touch about booking it yet...).
vix_245
YAY well done!! Yes, look through the practise tests...the Deloitte ones are by a company called SHL...google them and u can find some on their website :smile:
Keep me up to date!!

i had some questions about the tests...are the two tests together, straight after each other?

do you know how the assess you...what is the percentage mark, because when I practice on SHL im getting a low mark around 60% for both :frown:

is there just one set of practice questions for SHL? :confused:

thannks
vix_245
No they first ask u to do the numeracy test, then if u pass that (I dont know the boundaries Im afraid :confused: ) u get asked to do the verbal test.
Theres probably more u can practice online, just try googling them. I know they may not be in the same format, but I shouldnt think the content is too different. As long as u practice things like percentages/index numbers etc u should be ok. Have a calculator and pen and paper to hand :cool:

when u were practing how did you do...what percentages were you getting? so i get a rough idea what my chances are
efinancial careers do not have verbal reasoning tests do they?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending