The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Job - Graduate but no experience

Hi,

I’m a recent Maths and Economics graduate from the year 2022 and I got a 2:2 at university (due to circumstances of which impacted my studies negatively). I did not amount to any experience during my time at university in the financial services sector and thus have no relevant experience to investment banking. I do however have a recognised training qualification on Investment Banking with Deloitte.

I really want to break into investment banking, what sort of things should I be doing and when can I realistically expect to get any experience / career opportunities?

Thanks
Original post by sarsah1
Hi,

I’m a recent Maths and Economics graduate from the year 2022 and I got a 2:2 at university (due to circumstances of which impacted my studies negatively). I did not amount to any experience during my time at university in the financial services sector and thus have no relevant experience to investment banking. I do however have a recognised training qualification on Investment Banking with Deloitte.

I really want to break into investment banking, what sort of things should I be doing and when can I realistically expect to get any experience / career opportunities?

Thanks

Best bet, if you can't get a masters, is go Big 4/ mid tier Transaction services/ advisory, then lateral from there. That'll take 3 years or so, but by then the market will have gotten better, and with a 2.2 and no relevant exp, it's pretty much the only option other than a target masters (LBS, LSE, Oxbridge).

Check out wall street oasis for more/ better info
Original post by Goodayyy
Best bet, if you can't get a masters, is go Big 4/ mid tier Transaction services/ advisory, then lateral from there. That'll take 3 years or so, but by then the market will have gotten better, and with a 2.2 and no relevant exp, it's pretty much the only option other than a target masters (LBS, LSE, Oxbridge).

Check out wall street oasis for more/ better info

Or just try to get any job, working within finance/ accounts, in advisory or audit, just whatever it is, make sure you're getting ACA qualified. You can, upon qualifying, lateral to big 4 (then onwards). Good luck mate
Reply 3
Original post by sarsah1
Hi,

Thanks

I am in exactly the same position, except my degree was straight maths. I applied to over 30 internships and nothing ever came from them. (I know 30 is not considered out of the ordinary, but I stopped there because I was worried it would affect my academic performance).
How is your situation now - any updates?
May I ask how & where you got the Deloitte qualification - was it a spring insight from when you were in 1st year of uni?
Hey, I would defo recommend booking a session with a Career mentor. I was in a similar situation and just needed someone to tell me exactly what steps to take. After unsuccessfully cold LinkedIn messaging professionals, I was recommended CareerPaths (mentoring platform). Had a one off chat with Saad (ex Deloitte) who set out an action plan for me. I think at the minute they are offering a first session free deal, defo check it out - wish I knew about this earlier!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending