The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Achajecki
Yeah, its good to see my answers are correlating with everyone elses, hopefully I'll be able to score between 42 and 45 like i did in the practise papers. My answers to some of the more troublesme questions were:

1. Tree question : 4.8m
2. Wheel : 1
3. The zoo question: children learn a lot from zoos (wasnt the entire basis of the argument that zoos should be closed because they did not teach anyone).
4. Granny holiday: I seem to remember the length of her holiday was only 4 days assuming she only stayed in each country for 1 day (although, I cant remember exactly, it might have been 5)
5. The number of days off question was definitely 25
6. The last question: Originally wrote down C but then changed my answer to E (I think I managed to picture a situation where C worked but now im not so sure)

4. it was 5 because she could have been 9th - 13th in April or something like that
6. Yeah i get extra time so i ripped up a piece of paper and made the net and E was the only one that couldn't be made.
I got the same as you for the rest of them.

With the tree question did you do 7/1.6 = 3.145 or something then 20/3.145 = 4.57? then rounded up to 4.8?
Reply 1421
oh and did anyone get the answer to the van driver who starts at X and has to deliver to A,B and C?
don_giovanni
Did you sit the TSA at Schloss Salem?

I actually think this year's TSA was easier than last year's. Still, I know I got some of the questions wrong.

Does anyone remember what they got for the Metallica-question?
I think I got the town in the right corner...

No, I did the TSA in Kiel, in an open centre along with 10 others from all over Northern Germany, each of which - as far as I learned - had immaculate grades!

Surprisingly not everyone seemed to be able to handle Section 1 equally well. At least two weren´t able to finish the test completely.

The solution of the Metallica question was clearly town T which was option D wich was the town in the right bottom corner :wink:

I still wondering what exactly that wheel question was everyone´s talking about. I thought you were supposed to find the number of rotations the smallest wheel makes while the largest one makes eight rotations. Thus, I chose 64. Everyone seems to have chosen 1 which makes me suspect that I misread the question and did it the other way round.. :o: Stupid.

Got 5 days on the granny question, too, and am pretty sure about it (had spare time in the end so I triple-checked all maths and chart-related questions). Think I can confirm 4.8 m on the tree question as well and went for 25 as the number of remaining days off (20 regular days were remaining plus 5 days from the month before)

I found the question about how much one meal must cost in order to level the expenses incredibly demanding given that we have left than 2 minutes and no calculator. Eventually got 16 pounds
Reply 1423
Wasn't the wheel question that the first wheel spins 8 times? This is then connected to the second wheel (not connected to the outer rim but to an inner one which is the same as the first one). Hence the second wheel must spin at the same speed as the first. The third is connected to the second on its outer rim making it turn half as fast as the second (and first). So in my opinion the answer should be 4. I can say I underperformed at the test (even changed the Metallica answer to something else in the last second) but as long as I remember the wheel question correctly I'm quite sure this should be right...
The key is that the first and second wheel are connected via two another wheel identical to the first...
PaddyD15
With the tree question did you do 7/1.6 = 3.145 or something then 20/3.145 = 4.57? then rounded up to 4.8?

Yep, I did :smile:

What did you get on the long mathsy 'minimum price for a meal' question? I remember I must have made an arithmetical error somewhere because I calculated 17 (which sadly wasnt one of the answers) so I put down 16.

Stashup
Wasn't the wheel question that the first wheel spins 8 times? This is then connected to the second wheel (not connected to the outer rim but to an inner one which is the same as the first one). Hence the second wheel must spin at the same speed as the first. The third is connected to the second on its outer rim making it turn half as fast as the second (and first). So in my opinion the answer should be 4. I can say I underperformed at the test (even changed the Metallica answer to something else in the last second) but as long as I remember the wheel question correctly I'm quite sure this should be right...
The key is that the first and second wheel are connected via two another wheel identical to the first...

I've got to admit, I think you have a point....
Reply 1425
Is anybody in here being able to tell me how to manage the "granny holiday"-question? This was the only question among the tsa 2008, the specimen paper and the tsa 2009 where I had not even the slightest clue about how to deal with it. What was meant by the term "overseas" by the way? And what were the numbers indicating? Did you have to consider all countries or only a few of them due to information in the text which I possibly read over?
From my point of view the tsa 2009 was much harder in terms of the spatial questions. This is a little unfortunate due to the fact that my spatial skills are - and i know this is very unmanly - probably the worst ones in comparison with the other skills. Annoyingly, there were very few questions about fashion or horses, at which I could have bailed out myself perfectly.

@Achajecki: I got "16" as the result for the meal-question, too. Seems to be not the falsest answer...
Reply 1426
tri4ever
Is anybody in here being able to tell me how to manage the "granny holiday"-question? This was the only question among the tsa 2008, the specimen paper and the tsa 2009 where I had not even the slightest clue about how to deal with it. What was meant by the term "overseas" by the way? And what were the numbers indicating? Did you have to consider all countries or only a few of them due to information in the text which I possibly read over?
From my point of view the tsa 2009 was much harder in terms of the spatial questions. This is a little unfortunate due to the fact that my spatial skills are - and i know this is very unmanly - probably the worst ones in comparison with the other skills. Annoyingly, there were very few questions about fashion or horses, at which I could have bailed out myself perfectly.

@Achajecki: I got "16" as the result for the meal-question, too. Seems to be not the falsest answer...

I think you just had to look at the table and see what the maximum of consecutive public holidays was (which was 5), but it may be possible that I read over some information.

I got 16 as well, but it was more on mere instinct (and a little bit of maths) as it took too much time :rolleyes:
Hey guys

Just signed up to give my input on the TSA.

For you guys who calculated it to 17, could it be that you forgot the 5 dollar cost per meal, meaning you should have picked 22? I can't remember what I picked, but I remember my calculations fitting one of the choices.

On the Lorry Driver part I think the important part was that it was straight routes from each city to the other. The one I thought that could not have been right was something like XABXCX, because the lorry driver would have had to drive back through A again after going to B. It's hard to say right now, as I cannot remember the question 100 % after drinking yesterday, but when I sat in there I was looking at it without it making sense and suddenly I realised that this was different from the others and could not be the shortest. It was something with an X missing somewhere... Sorry that this is VERY unclear :smile:

On the Zoo question I put that the animals would be unable to live in the wilds, as the main argument of the text was that money should be spent on wildlife habitat instead of on Zoos.
Could someone explain to me how you were supposed to do the 'shortest route' XYAB... etc question? I literally had no clue as to how to go about solving it.
Thinking a bit about it, I'm a bit more confident that it said that the cities were in a straight line, which means that it would be possible for you to actually draw each of the XABXC-routes on paper.
It is not something that can be calculated obviously so you needed to use your logical sense and spot which of the "descriptions" would be unable to fit the actual route the lorry driver took. So if you had drawn it on paper you could see the lorry driver backtracking after he got to B, but the description would be missing the A he was in before X or the X he was in before he went to C. So obviously going XABAXC would be workable, as he would have to drive back through A to get to X to Get to C while XABCBAX would also be workable, while XABXACX would not be the fastest route to C and then back to X. XABAXCX could be possible, if C was in the other end of X. If only I wasn't so hangover and could remember the right solution I would be much more able to give you a proper answer :smile:
Stashup

I'm pretty sure A was connected to the outer rim of B and that C was connected to the little wheel in B, which was the same size as A.

Meaning A spins 8 times --> B is twice as large which means it spins (8/2) 4 times, the small wheel in B will spin as many rounds as B, because they are part of the same wheel, the big wheel C is 4 times as large as the small wheel of B which means 4 spins of B will give 1 spin on C, giving a ratio of 4/1 then times this up with the 4 spins and you have (4/1)*4 giving 4/4 = 1.
Reply 1431
bodensee
i m, however, really worried of not getting invited to interview.... my grades in germany are pretty much perfect and i thought the statement and the reference to be good as well.. but what if i only got like 60 in the multiple choice... do they reject everyone that is under a specific score to reach the number they can interview or do they consider the complete application?

Bodensee, from my point of view, your worries are absolutely unjustified. :smile: For I read at the TSA-Page at Cambridge Assement Center Homepage that the TSA-result merely is something to be consulted if they have to decide between two people that are performing similiar in other aspects. Your grades, reference and personal statement seem to be much more important (bad for me btw, my grades are worse than my thinking skills, I think).
Of course they will hesitate to invite you if you perfomed exorbitantly horrribly. But there are some figures at the homepage as well, concerning TSA Cambridge results of 2003 (I know this is not Oxford-TSA 2009, but I think the tenor is the same) in relation to those who got a place finally. People that scored sth above 85 percent did not get into the course in contrast to some of them scoring 40 and being accepted...
JonatanMarc
I'm pretty sure A was connected to the outer rim of B and that C was connected to the little wheel in B, which was the same size as A.

Meaning A spins 8 times --> B is twice as large which means it spins (8/2) 4 times, the small wheel in B will spin as many rounds as B, because they are part of the same wheel, the big wheel C is 4 times as large as the small wheel of B which means 4 spins of B will give 1 spin on C, giving a ratio of 4/1 then times this up with the 4 spins and you have (4/1)*4 giving 4/4 = 1.

Oh yeah, phew, thanks for clearing that up, he had me worried...
Reply 1433
tri4ever
Bodensee, from my point of view, your worries are absolutely unjustified. :smile: For I read at the TSA-Page at Cambridge Assement Center Homepage that the TSA-result merely is something to be consulted if they have to decide between two people that are performing similiar in other aspects. Your grades, reference and personal statement seem to be much more important (bad for me btw, my grades are worse than my thinking skills, I think).
Of course they will hesitate to invite you if you perfomed exorbitantly horrribly. But there are some figures at the homepage as well, concerning TSA Cambridge results of 2003 (I know this is not Oxford-TSA 2009, but I think the tenor is the same) in relation to those who got a place finally. People that scored sth above 85 percent did not get into the course in contrast to some of them scoring 40 and being accepted...

We'll just have to hope and see (same thing roughly applies to me). Would be horrible not to get invited to interview having got Abitur 1.0
Being rejected after interview would be perfectly ok because then you really know they don't see you as being right for Ox (except if you feel your interview went badly but it is possible to repeat)

Btw. did anyone else get the email about deciding about PPHs (Permanent Private Halls)?
Reply 1434
@ Stashup: Are you also from Germany?
Somewhere I read that about 80 percent of all applicants will be invited to the interviews. If you really got an Abitur of 1.0, I don´t think you should worry. I got 1.4 which I think could be a k.o-criterion. But I got much better than this 1.4 average in all of the human sciences. I imploringly hope they will invite me to the interview though, so I can show them, that I am able to do PPE. But I know it´s not that probable to be invited...
Reply 1435
tri4ever
@ Stashup: Are you also from Germany?
Somewhere I read that about 80 percent of all applicants will be invited to the interviews.

I don't know the exact figures for PPE, but honestly i think you can forget that.
Stashup
Btw. did anyone else get the email about deciding about PPHs (Permanent Private Halls)?

Yup. Chose option three, the atheïst option :p: They've been sending them for a while, I also got mine today, I think they did everyone with PPE today or something.
Kwinten
I don't know the exact figures for PPE, but honestly i think you can forget that.

PPE has been about 50% in the past years, though I reckon it's a bit less this year.

I just noticed, you're from Noordwijk I've been there! My cousins used to live in Wassenaar! :smile: Which school do you go to?
Reply 1438
Roundabout
PPE has been about 50% in the past years, though I reckon it's a bit less this year.

I just noticed, you're from Noordwijk I've been there! My cousins used to live in Wassenaar! :smile: Which school do you go to?

Really? That's brilliant. Where did you stay? Huis ter Duin? Wassenaar is still like half an hour away :p:

My school is just the local secundary school, Leeuwenhorst. I reckon your cousin is going to the International school in Wassenaar?
MagikMonkey
For the life-expectancy question, my main points were basically:

1) Have to be supported by the State for a longer period of time.

2) Age of retirement may have to be raised.

3) Old-age illnesses may become more prevalent, burden on healthcare system.

4) Overpopulation, urban sprawl, high density apartments constructed, etc.

Then in terms of bull$**t to fill space:

1) People on fixed-rate pensions would be f***ed (I put it slightly more eloquently).

2) People might have more kids in the hope of financial + personal support in their old age.

Did anyone do anything drastically different or just get different points?

Wow, that sounds great!! I spoke about the how if the elderly are living longer, the total %of illnesses (related to them) would increase. atm its 1/3 people who suffer from dementia, and it set to (nearlly) double by 2050 because of the ageing population. So seeing as they havent yet found a cure, its really important to find something to help them live a better quality of life. So the science research people/scientists and stuff will need to work together.

Then about how the retirement age must go up, and they might be discriminated against due to old age. They may also suffer from alienation etc, so society needs to make sure they have a common consensus etc. (Can't remember what else i wrote!) Then a uberly short conclusion! How long was your essay..one side..or??

Latest

Trending

Trending