The Student Room Group

Oxford chemistry

I'm thinking of applying to Oxford for chemistry but I'm worried not doing a third science will disadvantage me.
I do chemistry, maths and politics (3A*) and my GCSEs are 999999999866
I also do lots of supercurricular reading
Do I still stand a chance??
Reply 1
Unfortunately they've changed the requirements to strongly recommended to have a 3rd science subject, so you will be quite strongly disadvantaged
Reply 2
There were only around 56 people that didn't have a third science subject shortlisted this year
Reply 3
ugh that's annoying :/
what was the 56 out of?
Reply 4
I think like a big number if I recall, but I don't remember exactly but it's 56 out of 590 this year for shortlisted, can't find where I saw it but it's in one of the feedback forms
Reply 5
Original post by Sakai04
I think like a big number if I recall, but I don't remember exactly but it's 56 out of 590 this year for shortlisted, can't find where I saw it but it's in one of the feedback forms

I guess better to go for it than to not?
just got to make my personal statement as perfect as possible and hope for the best haha
Thanks for the response though :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah, go for it, but don't be surprised if you don't get shortlisted, they're being a lot harsher on people without a 3rd science or maths this year
Reply 7
Original post by Sakai04
Yeah, go for it, but don't be surprised if you don't get shortlisted, they're being a lot harsher on people without a 3rd science or maths this year

Just going to go for it and expect the worst lol. Is there any reason why they are being more harsh?
Reply 8
Original post by a4m3lia
Just going to go for it and expect the worst lol. Is there any reason why they are being more harsh?
I'm thinking it's because of the surge of popularity for the subject, it went from 24% to 18% acceptance this year
Original post by a4m3lia
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford for chemistry but I'm worried not doing a third science will disadvantage me.
if you do good in the TSA which is the big deal, then your extra knowledge would be very useful for the interview
dont really worry about lacking on science
i know many peeps who got in with only maths and chem
Original post by the_cosmo_guy
if you do good in the TSA which is the big deal, then your extra knowledge would be very useful for the interview
dont really worry about lacking on science
i know many peeps who got in with only maths and chem

Cosmo, the TSA doesn't exist anymore for chemistry, and they've only changed the requirements recently
Original post by Sakai04
Cosmo, the TSA doesn't exist anymore for chemistry, and they've only changed the requirements recently
fair enough
my bad
Original post by a4m3lia
Where else are you thinking of applying?

It does say that a 3rd science is 'strongly recommended' on the website, but they haven't said it is essential. Your predicted grades are very strong, and Oxford is always a 'gamble', so I would be inclined to go for it.
Reply 13
Original post by booklover1313
Where else are you thinking of applying?
It does say that a 3rd science is 'strongly recommended' on the website, but they haven't said it is essential. Your predicted grades are very strong, and Oxford is always a 'gamble', so I would be inclined to go for it.

at Andrews and maybe Durham, imperial, Edinburgh and a then one "back up option"
Also, Ive decided to do AS physics along my other alevels so hoping this extra grade (which hopefully I'll be predicted an A in) will strengthen my application
Original post by a4m3lia

There's no harm in giving it a go! ☺️
Original post by t_revision
There's no harm in giving it a go! ☺️

I'm pretty sure also I saw a stat recently that said the most common A-level combination for Oxford Chemistry was Maths, Chem, Geography - so having the Politics probably won't be a bad thing and shows you have more depth+variety!
Reply 16
Original post by t_revision
I'm pretty sure also I saw a stat recently that said the most common A-level combination for Oxford Chemistry was Maths, Chem, Geography - so having the Politics probably won't be a bad thing and shows you have more depth+variety!

Well that's reassuring
Thank you for your reply :smile:
I've also taken up physics AS so hoping that will help me in my application either way
Original post by a4m3lia
Well that's reassuring
Thank you for your reply :smile:
I've also taken up physics AS so hoping that will help me in my application either way

Should help, but I think they prefer AS furthermaths, but that's understandably a lot of work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending