The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 chemistry practical

Please refrain from commenting on anything in the test as some people have yet to sit the test. You don't want our grade boundaries soaring upwards do you? Thought not.

(from further down this page)

i'm sure you realise that the group 1 and group 2 chemistry practicals are extremely similar, except for a few compounds. Also, whosoever thinks that group 2 people have higher grade boundaries are wrong. They are usually roughly the same. In fact, if anything, group 1 tends to have higher grade boundaries. In june 2004, group 1 had 75/100, groups 2 and 3 had 74/100. And i remember reading in one other examiners report, forget which, where groups 2 and 3 had 5 marks fewer for an A than group 1.

Just think about what you're saying when you say that groups 2 and 3 will have higher grade boundaries. You are suggesting that the exam board should assume that the students have cheated? If they do that, the honest students will be at a disadvantage.
hummm i was trying to find the thread about our practicals. i think its so stupid of edexcel because it give people in group 2 an Unfair advantage.
Reply 2
i think edexcel realise and they do change thier tests enough...i dont know what all the fuss is about....we all knew what was comin up...we all had that lil slip

also...scores ARE standerdised... leveling everything out
yoyo12345
i think edexcel realise and they do change thier tests enough...i dont know what all the fuss is about....we all knew what was comin up...we all had that lil slip

also...scores ARE standerdised... leveling everything out

i know they are and its about 4 marks higher normally, but even so its a little unfair to the group one people who have to experience. thats just my opinion anyway :dontknow:
Reply 4
yea...but what exactly do the group 2 ppl know that the group 1 people didnt know b4 their exam

ok....the plan...but...theres still LOADS of other organic techniques which can be asked
no not really. they get a general feel for whats goin to come up ie. ammonium ions or watever. whereas group one people only get to see the briefing
Reply 6
i'm sure you realise that the group 1 and group 2 chemistry practicals are extremely similar, except for a few compounds. Also, whosoever thinks that group 2 people have higher grade boundaries are wrong. They are usually roughly the same. In fact, if anything, group 1 tends to have higher grade boundaries. In june 2004, group 1 had 75/100, groups 2 and 3 had 74/100. And i remember reading in one other examiners report, forget which, where groups 2 and 3 had 5 marks fewer for an A than group 1.

Just think about what you're saying when you say that groups 2 and 3 will have higher grade boundaries. You are suggesting that the exam board should assume that the students have cheated? If they do that, the honest students will be at a disadvantage.
Reply 7
Asian cutie
no not really. they get a general feel for whats goin to come up ie. ammonium ions or watever. whereas group one people only get to see the briefing

yea...but if you looked at past papers you would have a general idea on whats going to come up
thanks for supporting me pkchips glad v c eye to eye. (my teacher told me that they had lower grade boundaries but if they are higher that is so unfair!). surly the system is really unfair for group 1 students?:hmmmm:
Reply 9
yoyo12345
yea...but if you looked at past papers you would have a general idea on whats going to come up

basically, we don't want you to cheat and get good marks whilst it was so much harder for us.
Reply 10
if we were able to cheat...do u think edexcel would really allow the exam to take place?...think about that...
Reply 11
yoyo12345
if we were able to cheat...do u think edexcel would really allow the exam to take place?...think about that...

if you aren't able to cheat, why are you so curious as to what was on our practical?

Edexcel is well known for allowing exams to take place even if they know people have cheated on them. They don't really seem to care. That's been exemplified in countless numbers of maths papers and other subjects.
well its hard for them to track down. like last year some as papers were stolen and obviously that is going to make all the students who had contact with them get pretty much full marks but what can they do? there doesnt seem to be a straight forward solution except group 1 students not broadcasting their answers online for all students to view.
Reply 13
what makes u think that i didnt do the practical today aswell.....

and even if edexcel knows there is cheating...surely they would do something about it next year to change it...which they havent done with the practicals
Reply 14
yoyo12345
what makes u think that i didnt do the practical today aswell.....

Notice the "if we were able to cheat" implying that you want to cheat.
Reply 15
"we" as students
Reply 16
yoyo12345
"we" as students

ok. I don't know whether or not you took the practical today, but think of the other students on this board who have yet to take the practical who want to cheat.
Reply 17
this argument is becoming stupid...i was arguing that even if they found out what we did it wouldnt help them...but...im sure if ppl really wanted to know what came up....im sure they have friends and dont rely on this forum
Reply 18
bumped so that people who did their practical today can see this thread.

Latest