The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Accommodation Deposits (for current students)

I got my deposit back the other day and noticed that I've only been given £140.88 out of the £150 ... and it's not just me, everyone I asked said this has happened to them as well and it's the exact same amount of money. We were all in Ferens hall. I can't think of why this is as I left my room exactly as it was when I arrived bar stuff in the bin. Has anyone else had the same thing happen? I'm pretty miffed, I wish they would have at least notified me WHY they took off £9.12. Maybe anyone (Lexaris?) could shed some light on this.
Reply 1
welli dont know but when my brother left his Halls of residence they said they took money off for cleaning the carpet and other things he left his room exactly the same aswell.
Although this was a different uni it might be the same.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Well there was writing in the cupboard and a weird stain on the carpet that were there when I moved in. I admit that I added a little something inside the cupboard amongst all the other graffiti. I just think it's a bit weird that everyone I asked has had the exact same amount of money taken away. But seeing as Ferens is being refurbished I don't really see it fair that we get charged for stuff when they are just getting rid of it anyway ... I guess it's kind of fair because past students would have had to pay, but still.
Reply 3
Mine was the same Cat, all those years ago. and Me and my room mate looked after that room like it was a mansion.
:frown: it's not faaaiiiiiir. why????
Reply 5
"cleaning" was the reason. our rooms were then demolished for refurb. typical. pointless fighting it though - just one of those things..
that's such cheek. i actually think the only bad thing about the uni is the accommodation office, it's utter ****.
Reply 7
catoutofthebag
I got my deposit back the other day and noticed that I've only been given £140.88 out of the £150 ... and it's not just me, everyone I asked said this has happened to them as well and it's the exact same amount of money. We were all in Ferens hall. I can't think of why this is as I left my room exactly as it was when I arrived bar stuff in the bin. Has anyone else had the same thing happen? I'm pretty miffed, I wish they would have at least notified me WHY they took off £9.12. Maybe anyone (Lexaris?) could shed some light on this.

Ok then.

1st Not everyone's returned deposit was the same.

Deductions are made by the following process (roughly)

1. Hall fines/charges

These are costs incured by the University due to inconciderate, deliberate or "just didn't think" actions of unidentified students from within a hall or predicated by hall upon another.

eg,
> Mess left in quad requiring extra clearing as bins have not been used.
> Broken glass not cleared up
> Food fights, water fights etc that require extra attention.
> Bottle fines for those left in common areas other than blocks.
> Damage to windows due to "Ball Games" in quad not attributed.

> Egging etc of another hall (They get charged if they do it to us!)

These "Hall Charges" get divided between the hall population equally.

2. Block fines/charges

These are fines specific to your block. As a comunity you are expected to react to those around you acting in a selfish or unthoughtful way.

eg,
> Block Bottle Fines
> Excessive communal mess
> Damage to university communal property due to schernanigans
> Fire Extingusiher release or breakage of tags

3. Personal fines/charges

Your residence contract stipulates a number of things and you are reminded of these during the welcome meeting. Mostly its common sence that you would have done at home anyway without thinking.

eg,
> NO Smokeing in blocks! - We found cig butts, pictures and witnesses
> Fridges, coolers and other appliances - Yes i found the one in I block
> Drugs warnings
> Noise warnings
> personal breakage of windows and damage of university property
> Bottle fines in rooms at holiday breaks
> Missing University property at termination of contract
> Fire Extingusiher release or breakage of tags

Basically think back to something you know you shouldn't have done but you'd had a few aand what harm does it really do. Now think if I did that at home what would my parents/guardians do in responce and who would pay if something needed to be replaced, fixed etc.

You are all responsible, bright indeviduals and have the right to be treated as adults just as you should treat others. As such there is no justifible reason that can be given for any of the and others.

University justification for what you have all lost is justified under the Accomodation contract you all sign. Break a rule and your in breach of contract and thus restitution can be made on those grounds.

eg, You smoked in a non-smoking area thus you broke contract and thus can and will be charged for that breach.

As a member of the University of Hull pastoral team "staff" these are the rules and procedures as laid out by the University. However outside of my role I would agree that more could be done and there should be provision of a statement of some kind stating what the charge/fines are and for what. I urge anyone unsatisfied to approach the Universitys relivant departments for answers and would be very interested in their response.
Reply 8
youve banned the egging of other blocks? ohh come on thats outrageous!

we demand more shenanigans!
Can someone answer this for me please.

I paid my £150 deposit for this year when applying for accommmodation. It doesn't look like I'll be taking a place at Uni accommodation, is there any chance of me getting my deposit back?

Thanks.
Reply 10
Yes. If you are confirmed not to be coming to University the Accomodation office will return your deposit. It is however advisible that you are a tad retro-active in calling them or contacting by some means to inform them of your decision and arrange for the return of your money.
Reply 11
item54
youve banned the egging of other blocks? ohh come on thats outrageous!

we demand more shenanigans!

Shenanigans fun but concequences can be dier. Egging has always been banned it just takes student culture time to change.

Latest