The Student Room Group

Student Accomodation payments

When is a normal time for first rental payments because i feel like imbeing ripped off.

1. My first rental paymet is 15 days before I even move into the accomodation.
2. My second instalment which is around 3k is onlu 18 days after my first instalment????

Ive contancted the accom but this feels so scammy and im doing this without the help of anyone but if my parents find out ive messed up ill be in so much trouble
It's common to need to pay a deposit to confirm your accomodation, and then to need to pay the whole term's rent shortly after.
Reply 2
Oh thank youu!! I have payed a deposit though then my first installment is due sept 1st and the 2nd on septh 19th. It was just making me so anxious
Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at coventry university.
As stated above, usually with most accommodations you'll be expected to pay a deposit, this will be out of your own money and will be expected to secure your place in the room.
If this is a university owned accommodation, and they are expecting you to make a payment before you get student finance, then you could see if there is any financial help at the university to cover this for you, I'd recommend getting in touch with their external team and if this isn't doable for you, they may be able to help.
Kind regards,
Courtney H
Original post by Anonymous
When is a normal time for first rental payments because i feel like imbeing ripped off.

2. My second instalment which is around 3k is onlu 18 days after my first instalment????

Ive contancted the accom but this feels so scammy and im doing this without the help of anyone but if my parents find out ive messed up ill be in so much trouble

Hey there!
Unfortunately it is very common to have to pay your first rent instalment before you've moved in. In my second year accommodation the payments were in September, October, January and April so the first two instalments were very close together. It is very common and sometimes that's just how accommodation contracts are set up. Sometimes landlord will give you an option to pay your rent in line with your student loan but if that wasn't an option offered to you just before you signed the contract then it will just be the dates outlined in your tenancy agreement that are the ones to go by. My first year accommodation instalments were around September, December, January and April but on both occasions I had to pay the first instalment before my tenancy had started. It doesn't mean your paying for the time you're not living there. you'll get the time back at another point in your tenancy and it'll work out correctly.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hello,
As previously stated by other ambassadors it is common to have to pay rent before you move in. It’s part of a regular tenancy agreement as unfortunate as that sounds.

Usually you pay a deposit first and foremost before the tenancy is even signed and then you’ll pay a smaller amount just before your move in date. For example, in my second and third years I had to pay in August before moving in in September. Then the other larger rent pay dates were October, January and April.

If you are worried about making payments you can’t afford you can contact your university or even the housing agency for any kinds of guidance or help. Responses will obviously differ depending on what uni/letting agency you’re going to but it’s always better than nothing.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Hi there,
It is common for your first rent instalment to be due prior to moving into the accommodation. Most of the time this is preceded by a deposit by is refundable (subject to no damage etc.) at the end of your tenancy. Some accommodations (like us) don't ask for rent payments prior to you checking in/receiving your student loan. If you're concerned about making the payments, its worth speaking to your accommodation team to clarify what duration each payment is for and your own circumstances.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending