The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
this is only short-term, until pest control can be called. But cockroaches hate cucumbers, get one and cut off a few slices and put the slices in different problem spots, but change them often, as the cucumber will rot and then you get flys. lol
worked for me when i had tons of cockroaches in a airing cupboard.
this also works with bay leaves, but i was assuming, more likely to have cucumber, than bay leaves.
Reply 21
Lord_Farquad
Call an exterminator, if you're renting its the landlords duty to provide one.

As for killing the roaches, DO NOT STEP ON THEM, you could cause them to drop eggs and you will have a bigger problem.

If you have fans turn them on, keep the place as cold as possible and vacuum everywhere. Buy some HOTSHOT or RAID, not sure if they sell it in the UK but it's amazing stuff, spray it everywhere and watch those S.O.B's die.

I have RAID AT home...

Stepped on 1 a while back.....

Ive gone through 3 raid sprays and there not yet gone :frown:

How much does pest control cost?
Reply 22
starsdream2
Terminator is you're only solution.

I thought of Men in Black when I read the thread title.

LMAO at the Men in Black comment
You need to starve them out, its the only way. Make sure you get rid of every crumb in those gaps etc, then wash them down with a sterilising liquid like milton.

There are also traps you can buy that have a 'hormone' pill to attract the cockroaches to it, they work well.

These two as a combination should work alright, but it depends on how big your infestation is...

Failing that. Flamethrower.
Yeah I think you may need call pest control, I don't think you're in the position to worry about the cost because you need to get them out!
I actually agree with the person who said don't step on them. We had a few (like 6 in the month) which is kind of worrying since here in Egypt they spray pesticide smoke throughout the street from vans. We squashed every cockroach we saw. Worst thing was I think they really mutated because we had a giant flying one. I've never saw a cockroach in the UK though, how big was it?
Reply 25
tune
Heya THIS IS URGENT FOR ME....

Well since a few months weve had cockroaches at my flat in London....Ive got this spray to try and rid of them but its not working i mean it kilss a few but tomorrow there double the amount......There coming fom the kitchen and come at night i think as we can see tm in the kitchen at night......From the kitchen they come into the rooms and living room etc......In the kicthen there in the cupboard on the roof of the kitchen on the ground etc....

Please help me out as its coming to a point where its affecting our daily lifestyle.......They come on the plates as well thus making life twice as hard as we have to clean the plates again...

Please help...

Ok mate, first of all I know exactly how you feel.

Me and my girlfriend fought a constant war against cockroaches when we had an apartment in Cambodia...

The ************* out in Asia have wings and can fly, making them about 5 times as freaky. Seriously, me and my girlfriend still have nightmares!

Unfortunately for us, Cambodia was too poor for services such as Exterminators, so we had to fight them alone.

The internet is a good source of information. First, you should indentify which spieces you are dealing with; For us it was obvious that it was the Asian spieces because they are the only ones that fly and we were living in the middle of South East Asia!
But the ones in Europe are usually the German Cockroaches or American Cockroaches.

It's important you find out which species you are dealing with because they all have different habits; Like some are active during night and avoid light and some are active only in the day.

Once you have that sussed out, it makes planning a strategy easier.

You could of course call in an exterminator, but cockroaches are one of the hardiest living speices in the known universe! He will use chemicals and this will get rid of them temporarily but will most likely explain that it's going to be an ongoing battle...

Basically you have to start following some rules around your home;

Chemical sprays are only part of the solution, first you have to cut off there food supply:

Follow these rules to the letter:

- Do not leave your washing up laying around. You will have to start cleaning your dishes as soon as you finish your meal.
- Always clean up crumbs or spillages on the floor or any surfaces immediately.
- Start sealing food packages properly and ideally store them in containers; Things like breakfast cereals, bread and so forth.
- Do not leave your rubbish bins open. This is a big no no, this really attracts the roaches. Ideally buy bins with lids and put a plastic bin inside. When full always empty them immediately.
- Storing your rubbish correctly outside is also incredibly important. If your roaches are coming from outside then this is one of the most important factors. Make sure everything is double sealed and placed in hard plastic bins with lids that seal shut...try and keep the rubbish as far away from yoiur house a spossible, especially away from doors (roaches can come under doors, we had massive problems with this in Cambodia).
- Repair any dripping taps or plumbing; Roaches can survive weeks or months without food as long as they have a water source. Very important you get rid of any pools of water.

Once you have cut off all there food sources by following the above, THEN it's time to go on a search and destroy mission...This is when you get some pay back for the nightmares they have caused you and your family! :smile:

You'll be amazed at what tiny holes and crevices the roaches can squeeze into; They can shrink there body to about 1/6 of it's normal size and get into the tiniest gaps.
We found out where the nest was in our apartment; It was behind the toilet where there were tiny gaps in the tiles.
Your best weapon in filing up these holes is 'silicone gel'. It's cheap and you can get it from any DIY store. It only takes a day to set rock hard and it remains water proof. This cuts off and starves out any baby roaches who hide in these gaps.

Go all around the house looking for gaps; any potential tunnels, entry/exit points no matter how tiny the hole or gap looks...Seal it off.

Try and follow a roach as it runs away; See where they go.

Chemical sprays are efficient, but they can adapt very quickly and develop immunities; Don't hesitate to squash it. I know it leaves a horrific green slime and they can drop eggs, but if you clean it up staright away with bleach, hardcore disinfectant, it's one less roach that will breed and cause problems.

Obviously keep all surfaces sparkling clean. Mop floors daily (preferably twice a day). Vacuum carpets daily (initially try to do it twice a day) and wash bed lining regularly. If they are coming in undernath doors, perhaps make something from wood that seals the gaps at bottom of the doors when they are shut and at night time.

Strictly following all the above for only a week drastically eliminated the number of roaches in our property; They no longer had nests in our apartment and all we had to contend with was them coming in from the outside under our door (we had mosquito nets over all windows). The geckos did the rest (roaches have a few natural predators) for us :smile:

I wish you the very best of luck! I know they can literately ruin your life when an infestation sets in, but just a couple of days of big effort; military style planning and buying the right tools and executing the plan, you will get on top of the problem, maybe even eliminate the problem entirely.

And remember most kicthens in the UK actually have roaches. They are almost impossible to eliminate entirely in commercial kitchens... It doesn't mean you live in a dirty house (you can live in a spotless mansion and still have a cockroach infestation if you aren't storing things right), and actually roaches are harmless despite then looking like something out of the Alien films!

Good luck!
Reply 26
in nigeria we have more animals than here, the rats are bigger, the cockroaches are bigger, we even have lizards. Every time we saw a pest we just got our nanny to set traps and we had a spray called raid which worked pretty well for those damm cockroaches
Reply 27
Sabaidee
Ok mate, first of all I know exactly how you feel.

Me and my girlfriend fought a constant war against cockroaches when we had an apartment in Cambodia...

The ************* out in Asia have wings and can fly, making them about 5 times as freaky. Seriously, me and my girlfriend still have nightmares!

Unfortunately for us, Cambodia was too poor for services such as Exterminators, so we had to fight them alone.

The internet is a good source of information. First, you should indentify which spieces you are dealing with; For us it was obvious that it was the Asian spieces because they are the only ones that fly and we were living in the middle of South East Asia!
But the ones in Europe are usually the German Cockroaches or American Cockroaches.

It's important you find out which species you are dealing with because they all have different habits; Like some are active during night and avoid light and some are active only in the day.

Once you have that sussed out, it makes planning a strategy easier.

You could of course call in an exterminator, but cockroaches are one of the hardiest living speices in the known universe! He will use chemicals and this will get rid of them temporarily but will most likely explain that it's going to be an ongoing battle...

Basically you have to start following some rules around your home;

Chemical sprays are only part of the solution, first you have to cut off there food supply:

Follow these rules to the letter:

- Do not leave your washing up laying around. You will have to start cleaning your dishes as soon as you finish your meal.
- Always clean up crumbs or spillages on the floor or any surfaces immediately.
- Start sealing food packages properly and ideally store them in containers; Things like breakfast cereals, bread and so forth.
- Do not leave your rubbish bins open. This is a big no no, this really attracts the roaches. Ideally buy bins with lids and put a plastic bin inside. When full always empty them immediately.
- Storing your rubbish correctly outside is also incredibly important. If your roaches are coming from outside then this is one of the most important factors. Make sure everything is double sealed and placed in hard plastic bins with lids that seal shut...try and keep the rubbish as far away from yoiur house a spossible, especially away from doors (roaches can come under doors, we had massive problems with this in Cambodia).
- Repair any dripping taps or plumbing; Roaches can survive weeks or months without food as long as they have a water source. Very important you get rid of any pools of water.

Once you have cut off all there food sources by following the above, THEN it's time to go on a search and destroy mission...This is when you get some pay back for the nightmares they have caused you and your family! :smile:

You'll be amazed at what tiny holes and crevices the roaches can squeeze into; They can shrink there body to about 1/6 of it's normal size and get into the tiniest gaps.
We found out where the nest was in our apartment; It was behind the toilet where there were tiny gaps in the tiles.
Your best weapon in filing up these holes is 'silicone gel'. It's cheap and you can get it from any DIY store. It only takes a day to set rock hard and it remains water proof. This cuts off and starves out any baby roaches who hide in these gaps.

Go all around the house looking for gaps; any potential tunnels, entry/exit points no matter how tiny the hole or gap looks...Seal it off.

Try and follow a roach as it runs away; See where they go.

Chemical sprays are efficient, but they can adapt very quickly and develop immunities; Don't hesitate to squash it. I know it leaves a horrific green slime and they can drop eggs, but if you clean it up staright away with bleach, hardcore disinfectant, it's one less roach that will breed and cause problems.

Obviously keep all surfaces sparkling clean. Mop floors daily (preferably twice a day). Vacuum carpets daily (initially try to do it twice a day) and wash bed lining regularly. If they are coming in undernath doors, perhaps make something from wood that seals the gaps at bottom of the doors when they are shut and at night time.

Strictly following all the above for only a week drastically eliminated the number of roaches in our property; They no longer had nests in our apartment and all we had to contend with was them coming in from the outside under our door (we had mosquito nets over all windows). The geckos did the rest (roaches have a few natural predators) for us :smile:

I wish you the very best of luck! I know they can literately ruin your life when an infestation sets in, but just a couple of days of big effort; military style planning and buying the right tools and executing the plan, you will get on top of the problem, maybe even eliminate the problem entirely.

And remember most kicthens in the UK actually have roaches. They are almost impossible to eliminate entirely in commercial kitchens... It doesn't mean you live in a dirty house (you can live in a spotless mansion and still have a cockroach infestation if you aren't storing things right), and actually roaches are harmless despite then looking like something out of the Alien films!

Good luck!

Heya its the yellowy ones im dealing with...They dont fly as far as im aware...They come at night like right now.......Ive been hoovering them in for like an hour or so but there soo many and when i stop more come and then more its like a endless process i think ive hoovered like 20-30 in......Tommorrow im going to get more spray and remove everything from the kitchen and spray it a lot.....

Do you think i should carry on hoovering them in? There babay small tiny cockroaches as well......All bloody sizes.

This is getting really really frustrating...
Reply 28
You have an infestation.

You can keep hoovering them, swatting them and spraying them forever, they will just keep coming and will keep on multiplying.

As I explained in depth, you have to find there entry points and where they are nesting, then cut off there food supply and deep clean your entire home.

If they come out at night then you are dealing with the European species (German) or American species, most probably the former. They dont fly. Our Asian friends had wings and were attracted to light, they occasionally flew through our windows from outside...*shivers*

Have you gone through your kicthen like I told you? Sealing everything tight?
Have you mopped the floors, cleaned all surfaces etc?
Are you storing your rubbish like I told you?

If so, dont waste your money buying more spray. Spray is completely useless without cutting off the food supply and entry points....

Think of it this way; You saw 20-30 roaches last night. Let's say 15 were female. That's 30 eggs each per roach. That means there are at a minimum 400 baby roaches nesting somewhere (probably in reality it's more like 1000) that will come visit you soon, then they will have babies....Get my point? Spray isn't going to defeat them or even touch there population and breeding cycle...

You need to buy some silican gel and seal off the gaps and crevices around your house.

Get back to me when you do this....
Reply 29
Sabaidee
You have an infestation.

You can keep hoovering them, swatting them and spraying them forever, they will just keep coming and will keep on multiplying.

As I explained in depth, you have to find there entry points and where they are nesting, then cut off there food supply and deep clean your entire home.

If they come out at night then you are dealing with the European species (German) or American species, most probably the former. They dont fly. Our Asian friends had wings and were attracted to light, they occasionally flew through our windows from outside...*shivers*

Have you gone through your kicthen like I told you? Sealing everything tight?
Have you mopped the floors, cleaned all surfaces etc?
Are you storing your rubbish like I told you?

If so, dont waste your money buying more spray. Spray is completely useless without cutting off the food supply and entry points....

Think of it this way; You saw 20-30 roaches last night. Let's say 15 were female. That's 30 eggs each per roach. That means there are at a minimum 400 baby roaches nesting somewhere (probably in reality it's more like 1000) that will come visit you soon, then they will have babies....Get my point? Spray isn't going to defeat them or even touch there population and breeding cycle...

You need to buy some silican gel and seal off the gaps and crevices around your house.

Get back to me when you do this....

Ok this is what ive done so far........Ive cut there food supply but its hard to cut the water supply because of the sink being wet. Im going to the shops right now to buy some of that gell and spray (just incase) I cant find where there coming from because they run in all different directions. Some go under the fridge. Some under the cabinets in our kicthen and some go behind the washing machine.

I just bleached the whole house floor.

Yes were storing rubbish like you told me.

The thing is we live in a flat. Theres a big bin at the bottom f the flat but its not close to my flat so that cant be the problem.

I rent thisflat i currently live in....Are there any rights that tennants have that mean the landlord has to take care of this problem?
Reply 30
Possibly...

How is the situation looking now?
Reply 31
Sabaidee
Possibly...

How is the situation looking now?

Situations a lot better...The hooverings actually helped alot and so has the spray.

Landlords going to come in 2 weeks to finish of the kicthen so he shall fill all the gaps and everything.

Last night i only saw about 5 roaches a big reduction. I think there tuill a few ore hiding but they should go as im planning on removing all the food out of the kitchen for the night and killing any that are left.
Reply 32
Nicely done!

I think these remaining roaches will gradually look elsewhere for food, starve to death etc. But I think it'll be a very gradual process, don't worry if you see 5 again today or more. It may take a while for them to move on...Then, as you mention, they probably have a couple of nests where they breed in gaps or crevices, so adults and babies may be coming out soon to look for food...But as long as the place is kept spic and span for a couple of weeks even those will probably leave due to starvation or become more active looking for food in your home, in which case you can kill them in hand to hand combat lol

Glad to hear it's improving!
Reply 33
For a big infestation I recommend to buy a lot of that roach killer bait arena. Just leave then around the house and wait. :smile:
I found best ever cockroach killer, this bait eliminates roaches quickly and at the source. I got rid of them in 3 days ! problem with insects disappeared. I bought gel on eBay is called ''Best cockroach killer max force combat'' it's in the yellow tube. highly recommend !!!
wait till the rats come.....

Actually youll need to look at your tenanccy agreement to see who is responsible either LL or tenant, this explains it all
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/repairs-in-rented-housing/disrepair-common-problems/disrepair-infestations-of-pests-and-vermin/

Google also has plenty of advice on home remedies.
Gah you brough back a 2009 thread
Roaches .............discusting little critters! Almost impossible to get rid of. I've tried everything that I know of to do away with them. Boric acid, roach motels, bug spray, tennis shoe from 20 feet! Down here in the south there big and nasty. No matter what you do they seem to come right back. Does anyone know a good way to take care of these fellows? Maybe try to use Raid spray?
Raid wont help, u need advion gel or goliath gel. they work within a few days. trust me it works, my brother works for a pest control company.

Latest