Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
medicine

Really? Why?
Sakujo
Really? Why?

Writing Style Advice
You are writing formally- “Can’t” should be “cannot”. “Doesn’t” should be “does not” etc. Do not include digit numbers- write them out. "I did two weeks..." not "I did 2 weeks". Do not include brackets- (...), they are too informal. Be careful not to miss out words like "have", "I", and "that", like most people do in spoken language. It is safer not to use exclamation marks at all. Look up 'how to use commas and semi-colons'. Spelling and grammar can make or break a PS.

Some words and phrases are extremely cliché: Passion, fascination, love, aspiration, intrigued by, broadened my knowledge, enhanced my skill, affirmed/confirmed my decision. Use these words with caution. If you're using alternatives, be careful not to sound like a thesaurus.

Using phrases such as "quenched my thirst for" or "sparked up my interest" also don't read anywhere near as well as you think they do.

There's a tendency to use "also" all the time, when it's not needed. Be concise! Unnecessary linking words like "Futhermore" and "As a result" get used too often. A few of them are OK, but only a few. Remember to use commas after these linking words and phrases.

Don't use complex words in extremely long and convoluted sentences. People lose interest (and it makes you look somewhat pompous). Keep it short and make it flow.

Capital letters: NOT needed for subject names, doctor, nurse, hospital, hospice, medicine etc. Be careful where you use them.

It doesn't really need a capital m. I've never seen it being written with a capital m unless it was at the beginning of a sentence.
Sakujo
Really? Why?

It's not a proper noun
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
It doesn't really need a capital m. I've never seen it being written with a capital m unless it was at the beginning of a sentence.

I have.

"4. Entry to Medicine is highly competitive, and most candidates exceed the minimum entry requirements."

It's here - see Additional Information.

Edit: However, I agree that it's not a proper noun - unless perhaps.....

School of Medicine - should that be OK?

A few ambiguitities ?
Reply 64
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

*Quickly edits PS*

:biggrin:
Insightful_Mandarin
I have.

"4. Entry to Medicine is highly competitive, and most candidates exceed the minimum entry requirements."

It's here - see Additional Information.

I meant in a PS, obvs.
I'm struggling a little....I've done voluntary work both in a primary school and at a care home. I really honestly cannot link the primary school voluntary work to medicine except communication wise, but that's also seen in the care home voluntary work. I'm so over the limit, I want to get rid of the primary school voluntary work, should I mention it fleetingly? I'm not sure how though :confused:

Helpppp.
Reply 67
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
I'm struggling a little....I've done voluntary work both in a primary school and at a care home. I really honestly cannot link the primary school voluntary work to medicine except communication wise, but that's also seen in the care home voluntary work. I'm so over the limit, I want to get rid of the primary school voluntary work, should I mention it fleetingly? I'm not sure how though :confused:

Helpppp.

I'd just mention it fleetingly. I kinda have the same problem so I've just dumped a few experiences into a short paragraph but not elaborated on them, so at least admissions knows about it. For example, "To improve my knowledge regarding the skills needed for clinical practice I've volunteered etc." Or you could just stick it with the care home and talk aout your skills in general terms. If you're really stuck, just cut it.
Reply 68
matt^
compared to the medic applicants profiles that got into the places i want to go they all seem to have quite a lot more work experience than me.
do you think i should state how long ive done volunteering things for or just say 'during my time volunteering at ........ blah blah blah' ??

I wouldn't state time, it uses up space and not really needed unless it is something impressive ie > 1 year.
Reply 69
Sakujo
I wouldn't state time, it uses up space and not really needed unless it is something impressive ie > 1 year.

good good.

how long are people making theyre opening paragraphs?
Reply 70
Hi,

Has anybody used medicorrect? Apparently it offers a proofreading service for uni work but also does medicine ucas statements?! Let me know if anyone has tried.....

M
Reply 71
matt^
good good.

how long are people making theyre opening paragraphs?

756 characters :eek3: I've had another look at it and there are definitely some bits that I should cut out.

Question: Accident and Emergency or A and E (I've even seen A&E :s-smilie: )
I'm pretty sure that I'm meant to write the former.
_lynx_
756 characters :eek3: I've had another look at it and there are definitely some bits that I should cut out.

Question: Accident and Emergency or A and E (I've even seen A&E :s-smilie: )
I'm pretty sure that I'm meant to write the former.

I've seen A&E not A and E. :dontknow:

Is everyone writing about every single experience they had during their work experience? I went onto the wards, outpatient clinic, A&E etc but I haven't mentioned A&E and outpatient, partly because I didn't learn as much as I did on the wards :o: Would you mention them anyway?
Reply 73
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
I've seen A&E not A and E. :dontknow:

Is everyone writing about every single experience they had during their work experience? I went onto the wards, outpatient clinic, A&E etc but I haven't mentioned A&E and outpatient, partly because I didn't learn as much as I did on the wards :o: Would you mention them anyway?

Hmm, I think I'll stick with Accident and emergency for now, but if I really can't find anything else to cut down, I may have to abbreviate.

In mine, I've expanded a little about what I specifically learnt about working as a doctor in a particular ward and then I've listed the other wards and said what I've learnt generally. I'm not sure if that's the best way and it may need to be revised, but that's what I've done for now. :smile:
In my PS, I was wondering. I have done some work experience, but I have also had alot of patient experience as a patient in peadiatric endicrinology. I really did learn some stuff there about medicine. Do you think it would be worthwhile putting it in my personal statement?
you could maybe breifly mention, maybe how you understood the patients journey with a condition, but also relate this to what you observed during your work experience

personally i'd breifly mention it, just to bulk a bit, or not at all
Reply 76
I agree with the above - mention it, but only as a reason why it would improve your knowledge of being a doctor. If you don't have space however, then it's not essential.
Reply 77
My parents are doctors but I decided not to mention this in my personal statment as I didn't want it to seem like I was going into medicine for the wrong reasons, which Im not. Anyway my guidance teacher has just written my reference which is thankfully really good, but he has written something about how I know first hand the demands of a medical career as my parents are doctors. Will this be ok? It isn't as if I wrote it so they can't think I am namedropping, but maybe they will think I am trying to hide the fact that they are doctors, which Im not, I just don't think it needs a mention.

Or am I just being completely paranoid?
acas13
My parents are doctors but I decided not to mention this in my personal statment as I didn't want it to seem like I was going into medicine for the wrong reasons, which Im not. Anyway my guidance teacher has just written my reference which is thankfully really good, but he has written something about how I know first hand the demands of a medical career as my parents are doctors. Will this be ok? It isn't as if I wrote it so they can't think I am namedropping, but maybe they will think I am trying to hide the fact that they are doctors, which Im not, I just don't think it needs a mention.

Or am I just being completely paranoid?

I think you're being paranoid :p:

If you're really worried though then maybe just get prepared with an answer in case they ask you questions about whether you're being pressured into the career :smile: Just let them know that it's a decision you've made yourself, but maybe having doctors as parents has shown you some of the bad sides of it (do they come home late from work? do you ever hear them talking sadly about one of their patients dying or something of the like?) and despite that you still want to do it :biggrin:
Reply 79
Ohh, I'm getting in such a stress righting my statement. Basically, what i've learned from work experience is also very similar from my volounteer work. However, I want to talk about them separately, but then again, I need to focus on what i've gained from both experiences - which is the same - without sounding repetitive!

Also, I do tennis coaching, does that show leadership qualities?

Latest

Trending

Trending