The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I showed mine to the Head of Sixth who said it was acceptable (man of few words). I was happy with it which was what mattered. You can get feedback on here from the PS Helpers. Their help will probably be more specific than you are getting at school. Good luck :smile:
Reply 161
I need to start on my personal statement. I spent two weeks making a thorough plan, all I need to do now is write it up.
smflesh
Apologies if this is supposed to go in one of those big threads, if it does.. then could a mod merge it for me please? *sweet smile*

Anyway.. I've shown my personal statement to like 6 + teachers and I've received quite a mixed response which has ranged from v. positive comments to comments which have basically implied ''not that good, just re-do it''.

Ofc, there can be an element of biasness, but I've tried my best to show it to teachers who are experienced and would not give a biased opinion.
To medics / peeps who have received offers in the past.. were you ever in this situation?

Get a PS helper to read it, but I only got 1 person to read mine and then 1 person to check grammar and spelling.
My careers advisor told me that my PS wasn't very good - yet at my Manchester and Sheffield interviews I was told it was excellent, so I wouldn't advise basing your entire faith in school advisors. Best seek out someone who is either a Medical Proffessor or Medical School Admissions related.

But, if you're happy with it, then go for it! If you feel it depicts you in the right light, then thats what really matters.
Reply 164
Give it to as many people as possible. Let your parents/ grandparents/ siblings/ psychic pets/ local MP read it, and see what they think, not just your teachers. Just because it is a medical PS, doesn't mean that only your teachers are "qualified" to read it (and in many cases teachers don't know the first thing about medical PS's). You parents can make sure it "reads" well, can suggest where you can cut it down (if you are still in the situation where you have written too much) etc.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but in the end it is your PS, so you have the final decision. If you think something should be included, then include it.

EDIT: Don't give it to anyone who you think might steal it. Other medical school applicants, for example :p:
smflesh
Apologies if this is supposed to go in one of those big threads, if it does.. then could a mod merge it for me please? *sweet smile*

Anyway.. I've shown my personal statement to like 6 + teachers and I've received quite a mixed response which has ranged from v. positive comments to comments which have basically implied ''not that good, just re-do it''.

Ofc, there can be an element of biasness, but I've tried my best to show it to teachers who are experienced and would not give a biased opinion.
To medics / peeps who have received offers in the past.. were you ever in this situation?

Do you know any Drs, a GP to look at it?

Take what teachers say with a handful of salt
Reply 166
Hi, is it a good idea to talk about the subjects you've done in your PS?
Reply 167
No Future
Do you know any Drs, a GP to look at it?

Take what teachers say with a handful of salt

I guess so, I'll give the people I shadowed an e-mail and hopefully they'll take a look.

Thanks for the replies, I've posted my P.S. in the helper section so hopefully someone gets to it soon.
lekky
Hi, is it a good idea to talk about the subjects you've done in your PS?

Is keele med school respectable.
Reply 169
123 alexis

.... what? :confused:
Reply 170
123 alexis

In medicine apparently it really doesn't matter where you go to uni, a few years after you graduate everyone is the same.
Woody.
In medicine apparently it really doesn't matter where you go to uni, a few years after you graduate everyone is the same.

Is that so, It's just I was thinking of applying there and one of my bestest friends told me to not bother because I deserve better and that it's a non-red brick Uni. He also said that graduates from say...UCL enjoy better job prospects?
And where are you applying Woody
Reply 172
My hobbies and extra curricular activities have taken up 1300 characters (about a third of the whole statement); is this too much?

I think it is ... :mad: :frown:
123 alexis
Is that so, It's just I was thinking of applying there and one of my bestest friends told me to not bother because I deserve better
and that it's a non-red brick Uni. He also said that graduates from say...UCL enjoy better job prospects?
Well, your friend has told you some very silly things.
Anyone having major problems cutting things out?
How long are people's conclusions? Three lines? :o:
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Well, your friend has told you some very silly things.

This.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Anyone having major problems cutting things out?
How long are people's conclusions? Three lines? :o:
I did at first, but Ps help service reduced all the extras.
Reply 177
123 alexis
Is that so, It's just I was thinking of applying there and one of my bestest friends told me to not bother because I deserve better and that it's a non-red brick Uni. He also said that graduates from say...UCL enjoy better job prospects?

:facepalm2:

When you come to apply for your F1/F2 posts, your potential employers do not know what medical school you went too (it is blinded). Once you come to apply for ST1 posts, what you did during F1/F2 becomes much more important than which medical school you went to.
Presidential
I did at first, but Ps help service reduced all the extras.

My PS looks like this in UCAS

Spoiler

Though you can actually see where a new paragraph starts, I need blank lines! Nooooooo! :bawling: Back to work.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
My PS looks like this in UCAS

Spoiler

Though you can actually see where a new paragraph starts, I need blank lines! Nooooooo! :bawling: Back to work.

Lol. Yh Im not sure if im going to put paragraphs. However, im not sure if thats a good choice.xD

Latest

Trending

Trending