The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I still have a few months to the end of my contract but I got both my mother and sister to upgrade to android OS, one of them has a HTC Magic and the other Hero. It's really good specially if you already use google services.
I think it looks pretty sucky IMO, I don't like the mascot, think I'll stick to Symbian
Reply 3
When they release an Linux based OS for the iPhone, i shall be pimping it.
Reply 4
Hey guys. I got an HTC hero on orange contract yesterday- and yes- have to say- loving it :biggrin:
However- I'm not getting internet on it until the end of the first month of the contract; at the moment since I'm at home most of the time I could just use the WiFi. Considering this- I thought I would be able to access the android market- but when I try to sign in to google mail- this appears:
''Cant establish a reliable data connection to the server; this could be a temporary problem or your sim card may not be provisioned for data services''

I'm thinking I cannot sign in due to not having mobile internet- am I right? Just a bit confused :s-smilie:
T.K.B
''Cant establish a reliable data connection to the server; this could be a temporary problem or your sim card may not be provisioned for data services''

I'm thinking I cannot sign in due to not having mobile internet- am I right? Just a bit confused :s-smilie:

Hey mate, I had exactly the same problem. The issue is caused by not having a Google account synced to your phone properly. You need to do this when you first set up the phone. The only way I found to get round this was a factory reset, then set up the Google account again. Beware that this will wipe your SIMs numbers too, so back them up.

Once you're up and running, download an app called apnDroid. This will allow you to turn on / off 3G, EDGE and HSDPA at the touch of a button, which will stop the phone going online until your contract changes over.

Basically, hello me from 4 days ago! :smile:
Reply 6
mikeyd85
-Beware that this will wipe your SIMs numbers too, so back them up.-

To save yourself this hassle, you could sync your contacts to your google account from the people menu.
~style
To save yourself this hassle, you could sync your contacts to your google account from the people menu.

Does this only work with "Google" contact types? I've not really looked in to those categories yet, but most of mine are "Phone"...
Reply 8
mikeyd85
Does this only work with "Google" contact types? I've not really looked in to those categories yet, but most of mine are "Phone"...

Yea the "Google" contacts are the ones synced with your google account, you can even sign into gmail and edit your contacts from there, then it takes a few minutes to update on your phone. So for that you need to port them from "Phone" to "Google"
~style
Yea the "Google" contacts are the ones synced with your google account, you can even sign into gmail and edit your contacts from there, then it takes a few minutes to update on your phone. So for that you need to port them from "Phone" to "Google"

Nice one. Cheers man. :smile: Methinks this thread will end up being quite useful to me.
Reply 10
mikeyd85
Nice one. Cheers man. :smile: Methinks this thread will end up being quite useful to me.

And to me too, I've been waiting for a thread like this.

Maybe we can even post any android phones being released.
~style
And to me too, I've been waiting for a thread like this.

Maybe we can even post any android phones being released.

I'm game for that. I'll try to keep updates on the first post. I'm up for creating a bit of a fave apps section too. Could all be done easily in spoilers.
Reply 12
This could become a society at this rate :p:

So HTC has 3 phones so far - Magic, Dream and Hero. Anything else?

Sony Ericsson also seem to be releasing an Xperia 3 operating the android OS.

Samsung have the Galaxy.

I heard Motorola have one in the making also.

Also the Hawaii.

Then there are the rumoured Dell and Archos devices/phones.

Add to that Asus and Lenovo, whatever they are planning to make with android.

Ok that's off the top of my head, anything else?
:woo:

Yeah, I think you've got most covered there. I think HTC has more in the line, looking at the images of their leaked roadmap, I'm sure I can spot a couple of "Home" and "Menu" buttons there.
Reply 14
mikeyd85
Hey mate, I had exactly the same problem. The issue is caused by not having a Google account synced to your phone properly. You need to do this when you first set up the phone. The only way I found to get round this was a factory reset, then set up the Google account again. Beware that this will wipe your SIMs numbers too, so back them up.

Once you're up and running, download an app called apnDroid. This will allow you to turn on / off 3G, EDGE and HSDPA at the touch of a button, which will stop the phone going online until your contract changes over.

Basically, hello me from 4 days ago! :smile:

Ahh I got that figured out last night anyways. Its all good now. Thanks for suggesting apndroid, i'll try that now. And oh, typing this from my HTC :biggrin:
T.K.B
Ahh I got that figured out last night anyways. Its all good now. Thanks for suggesting apndroid, i'll try that now. And oh, typing this from my HTC :biggrin:

I think all us Hero owners came here to do at least one post! :five:
Reply 16
How is apodroid different from the widgets you can add already? Like the wifi and network widgets?
~style
How is apodroid different from the widgets you can add already? Like the wifi and network widgets?

I'd not spotted the Mobile network widget... :facepalm:
Reply 18
mikeyd85
I'd not spotted the Mobile network widget... :facepalm:

Hehe, so it's the same thing then?
~style
Hehe, so it's the same thing then?

As far as I can see... Never mind! I do like those switches though! They are so useful.

Latest