Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    So i've just got back from holiday and my hero has kind of died................

I turned off 3g with apndroid, and turned off the conect to mobile network thing whilst on holiday to make sure that i wouldn't be charged for anything and i stuck to using wifi for the week that i was away. Back in england i have turned everything on however i've found that my phone now refuses to pick up 3g at all :s: Also the phone is very very slow sometimes - it can be so bad that i can't even phone people, i go through the phone book and press call and nothing will happen :s:

help reps for help
    1st thing - reboot it.
    2nd thing - Open Settings > Wireless and Networks

Make sure that Mobile Network is ticked and beneath it says "Use phone for data connection..." is there. If it's anything else, untick and tick it again.

As for speed, perhaps you need to get Advanced Task Manager and see if it's got anything running at high CPU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    1st thing - reboot it.
    2nd thing - Open Settings > Wireless and Networks

Make sure that Mobile Network is ticked and beneath it says "Use phone for data connection..." is there. If it's anything else, untick and tick it again.

As for speed, perhaps you need to get Advanced Task Manager and see if it's got anything running at high CPU.
    just had a little play around and i managed to sort it out, however i'm wondering why this would have created the problems i had?

Basically i went into the wireless and networks bit and saw that the phone couldn't connect to the mobile network (3g mobile network i assume) as APN settings were not right. So i went into mobile networks, access point names then reset to default and everything is working perfectly now. I do remember going to access point names out of curiosity and clicking on either pre pay or post pay which probably ****** things up - but i don't understand why it would slow down everything :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    just had a little play around and i managed to sort it out, however i'm wondering why this would have created the problems i had?

Basically i went into the wireless and networks bit and saw that the phone couldn't connect to the mobile network (3g mobile network i assume) as APN settings were not right. So i went into mobile networks, access point names then reset to default and everything is working perfectly now. I do remember going to access point names out of curiosity and clicking on either pre pay or post pay which probably ****** things up - but i don't understand why it would slow down everything :s:
    Yeah, mine drops connection every now and then. I put it down to a slightly iffy custom ROM tbh.

As for the slow down, possibly an app trying to connect to the net in order to update which hasn't got a good timeout action set to it.

ReputationRep:
    I got home from hols and finally updated to 2.1. It is quite nice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    HTC Desire HD/ACE rumoured for October, I think I'll cancel my virgin contract and get this day one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm beginning to think about getting a new phone, will probably wait till the gingerbread phones are released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    HTC Desire HD/ACE rumoured for October, I think I'll cancel my virgin contract and get this day one.
    As wet as it makes me, I may force myself to wait until next September before upgrading from Hero..

We'll see..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    As wet as it makes me, I may force myself to wait until next September before upgrading from Hero..

We'll see..
    so september 2011?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    so september 2011?
    Yes :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Yes :emo:
    That was when I was hoping to keep mine till but my iPod touch is starting to show it's age so was thinking earlier today of saving up and buying a gingerbread phone in the sales after Christmas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    That was when I was hoping to keep mine till but my iPod touch is starting to show it's age so was thinking earlier today of saving up and buying a gingerbread phone in the sales after Christmas
    My wage goes up soon (turning 18) so I will have extra funds and may do something similar. But I'll decided later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    My wage goes up soon (turning 18) so I will have extra funds and may do something similar. But I'll decided later
    Haha I'd be thankful for a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Yeah, mine drops connection every now and then. I put it down to a slightly iffy custom ROM tbh.

As for the slow down, possibly an app trying to connect to the net in order to update which hasn't got a good timeout action set to it.
    I thought this with mine, but have installed different radios - some act better than others tbh, with .20 being the best so far (look it up on XDA).

It's also sometimes wise to create another APN using the same credentials - weird I know, but sometimes works.

What ROM are you using?

(Original post by yoyo462001)
    To be honest, I wouldn't get the HD. I know it's easy to always wait for the next best thing, but the HD is not a significant step up from the Desire, unlike when the gap between the Hero and Desire.

I'd be waiting for the Emerald with dual core capacity with Snapdragon. Now that's truly a next generation smartphone, rumoured to be out in q4 sometime around November/December.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when 2.0 came out there was a car mode app but I can't seem to find it on my phone

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me to see that every second person that you see in town/shopping centres has an iPhone AND it is constantly out of out their pockets.
    And you can guarantee that most of them think it's a very exclusive device.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    I thought this with mine, but have installed different radios - some act better than others tbh, with .20 being the best so far (look it up on XDA).

It's also sometimes wise to create another APN using the same credentials - weird I know, but sometimes works.

What ROM are you using?
    Cronos Droid 2.x

ReputationRep:
    Ace/Desire HD on cam.

ReputationRep:
    Is the Desire HD going to replace the regular Desire when it comes out, or will the normal Desire still be on sale (and possibly for a cheaper price)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Ace/Desire HD on cam.
    That really does look good

ReputationRep:
    I think I've been invited to App Inventor, can't check atm but I look forward to making a fart app.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.