The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey people any new tech news? :biggrin:
Google’s upcoming I/O conference generated quite a bit of commotion earlier this month when all of the tickets offered to the public sold out within 59 minutes

OMG!
Reply 3883
Original post by The Jester
guys, do you have any suggestions for a good alarm app?

i've got a htc desire.

i've tried using the alarm with the desk clock but i keep sleeping through it and the phone is usually right next to me. :/

Try sleep as an droid

Thats amazing. Trying that now.
Reply 3885
Original post by Tokyoround
Thats amazing. Trying that now.

Early night for you, then?
Original post by The Jester
guys, do you have any suggestions for a good alarm app?

i've got a htc desire.

i've tried using the alarm with the desk clock but i keep sleeping through it and the phone is usually right next to me. :/

I use Alarming!

You can set it to ask you a maths question, or give you a puzzle when you try to turn it off or put it in snooze. :yes:

Couple that with a very annoying buzzer, and it's almost totally effective :colondollar:
Original post by estel

omdz that sounds amazing!
Original post by delasandro

Original post by delasandro
What's the best apps/widgets or simply tips on saving battery? (Apart from turning WIFI and 3G off?)

You can do all of the normal things people do from sheer common sense, but at the end of the day, you're using a phone with a pretty small battery; you can only get so much out of it.

If you can, buy spare batteries from ebay; either that or carry a charger or charging pack.
The Desire is absolutely fantastic.
Original post by mikeyd85
Full wipe then reflash I'd imagine. :smile:

Someone on the CF thread complained about practically the same thing :laugh:

I applied the fix Feeyo linked, and it saves my settings now, but it still couldn't connect to eduroam :frown:

Original post by wizard710
I know Is this your bug? It seemed to forget credentials on 1.6.0 but I'm on 1.7.2 and it forgets them a lot less now but did'n save it at all in Cronos GB

Well, this is what is happening now, after using the 'fix' :redface:

Should I just keep trying to connect? :dontknow:
Motorola Xoom review at Engadget. Few points:

1.Seems slightly rushed, this is starting to concern me seeing as the Nexus S was fairly buggy at launch, Google seem to be rushing unfinished products out e.g. no Flash and the Browser still makes sites think it's a phone.
2.Super fast naturally
3.Overall a good first step, the next iteration of Honeycomb should be more impressive. I'd expect this to be around September ish.
Reply 3892
Original post by yoyo462001
Motorola Xoom review at Engadget. Few points:

1.Seems slightly rushed, this is starting to concern me seeing as the Nexus S was fairly buggy at launch, Google seem to be rushing unfinished products out e.g. no Flash and the Browser still makes sites think it's a phone.
2.Super fast naturally
3.Overall a good first step, the next iteration of Honeycomb should be more impressive. I'd expect this to be around September ish.

This ties in with what an, erm, friend I know indicated about the Xoom.

To be fair, the Flash thing isn't a Google issue, and the browser doesn't necessarily identify as a phone. Websites use all sorts of weird methods for checking if something's a phone or not, and I'd be tempted to say that they're wrong.

Tried this last night:

:woo:

It's great! It woke me up just before I needed to be up, from the lightest point of sleep too. I've never woken up more... awake before.

I think I'm in love. :colondollar:

edit: I read comments on the app market about it making your phone overheat, my Desire seemed to be just fine. =]
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by aliluvschoc

Tried this last night:

:woo:

It's great! It woke me up just before I needed to be up, from the lightest point of sleep too. I've never woken up more... awake before.

I think I'm in love. :colondollar:

edit: I read comments on the app market about it making your phone over heat, my Desire seemed to be just fine. =]

Okay I'm going to have to try this now, did you really feel super awake>?
Original post by yoyo462001
Okay I'm going to have to try this now, did you really feel super awake>?

Yes! You know when you wake up suddenly with your alarm and it feels like your heads about to explode, well this thing... I'm not sure if it woke me up gently using sound to bring me into lighter sleep or just followed my sleeping pattern and knew when to wake me up. Probably a mixture of the two.

You set a time to wake up (I put 7:30am) and it makes sure you're awake just before that time.

Also, during the night I noticed I was being woken up gently every now and then by the phone buzzing, and when I checked I seemed to have been moving about quite a lot in my sleep. The actual pattern of waking up slightly every now and then is a pretty healthy way to spend a nights sleep, it brings the cycles into order.

As someone who studies psychology (I know, booo!) I'm really interested to see my own sleep pattern displayed so clearly. It's not just a gimmick either, it follows the well established sleeping pattern of cycling through stages of deeper and lighter sleep.

You can also record yourself sleeping to see if you're a sleep talker/snorer, but I think that might just be in the paid version. Which I am 100% buying.

TL;DR: So in short, yes. I've been more awake and alert all day because I wasn't jolted awake as usual by my alarm.
Reply 3896
For what it's worth, over what's been now a week of use, it hasn't worked brilliantly for me every night (though, yes, this is possibly more because I've been going to bed only 3 hours before getting up, but that's my own issue...). Overall it's pretty awesome, though.

Last night:
(edited 13 years ago)

Yes! You know when you wake up suddenly with your alarm and it feels like your heads about to explode, well this thing... I'm not sure if it woke me up gently using sound to bring me into lighter sleep or just followed my sleeping pattern and knew when to wake me up. Probably a mixture of the two.

You set a time to wake up (I put 7:30am) and it makes sure you're awake just before that time.

Also, during the night I noticed I was being woken up gently every now and then by the phone buzzing, and when I checked I seemed to have been moving about quite a lot in my sleep. The actual pattern of waking up slightly every now and then is a pretty healthy way to spend a nights sleep, it brings the cycles into order.

As someone who studies psychology (I know, booo!) I'm really interested to see my own sleep pattern displayed so clearly. It's not just a gimmick either, it follows the well established sleeping pattern of cycling through stages of deeper and lighter sleep.

You can also record yourself sleeping to see if you're a sleep talker/snorer, but I think that might just be in the paid version. Which I am 100% buying.

TL;DR: So in short, yes. I've been more awake and alert all day because I wasn't jolted awake as usual by my alarm.

I've downloaded it now, super excited about it seems really interesting.
orange san francisco is now even cheaper:

£79.99 + £10 top up - £7.50 quidco cashback meaning it costs £82.49 with £10 top-up xD!

Just bought it now. I sold my HTC HD2 for £150 and bought a SE Vivaz and San Francisco together for that much!

http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk/mobile-phone/payg/orange/Orange-San-Francisco.html?tariffcode=EOJT
Original post by chaz1992

Original post by chaz1992
Just bought it now. I sold my HTC HD2 for £150

:nothing:

Latest

Trending

Trending