The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5680
hey guys...

best android phone for approx. £250 on pay as you go?

doesn't need to be that exact amount..thanks :smile:

P.S. btw, what do you guys think of the Samsung Galaxy Ace, LC Optimus 2X and HTC Desire S?

which one is best out of those three (asking out of interest)

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by diracdeltafunc
Thanks for that link mate! I'm in the process of rooting my desire. Basically on the website it says that i have to download the stock rom of the desire. I'm running 32.48.00.32u_5.10.05.30 (baseband version) which is on orange. I couldnt find that rom on this website (as the guy says ) :
http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android&model=Desire

Am i missing something?

Thanks.

That's the radio version, not the ROM version.
Original post by alex_hk90
That's the radio version, not the ROM version.

Right! SO which one would apply to me then? My build number is
2.17.61.3 CL274424 release keys
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello, I'm a bit of a technophobe. I have a HTC desire and the thing is android version 2.2 but it won't let me video skype, even though apparently you need 2.2 or higher, my bfriend has a google nexus thing and his video-ing works but he's now on 2.3.4.....or something like that??? Anyone got any idea how I can sort it so I can video skype?
Reply 5684
Original post by Random-scribbles
Hello, I'm a bit of a technophobe. I have a HTC desire and the thing is android version 2.2 but it won't let me video skype, even though apparently you need 2.2 or higher, my bfriend has a google nexus thing and his video-ing works but he's now on 2.3.4.....or something like that??? Anyone got any idea how I can sort it so I can video skype?

V.call on skype is yet to be updated to other devices only few can Ex: Nexus S..
Right! SO which one would apply to me then? My build number is
2.17.61.3 CL274424 release keys

Hmm, it seems like they don't have your exact version. The closest one I could immediately find was the 2.29 one here (labelled RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00. 32U_5.11.05.27_release), which should work fine (actually the 2.36 one in the other link would probably do as well). All this means is that you won't be able to revert to your (Orange branded?) unrooted ROM (2.17) but instead you could do so to the unbranded (and also unrooted) 2.29 ROM.
Reply 5686
Original post by Zakir
hey guys...

P.S. btw, what do you guys think of the Samsung Galaxy Ace, LC Optimus 2X and HTC Desire S?

Desire S...no doubt good bargain!
Hmm, it seems like they don't have your exact version. The closest one I could immediately find was the 2.29 one here (labelled RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00. 32U_5.11.05.27_release), which should work fine (actually the 2.36 one in the other link would probably do as well). All this means is that you won't be able to revert to your (Orange branded?) unrooted ROM (2.17) but instead you could do so to the unbranded (and also unrooted) 2.29 ROM.

Is it ? I thought that it is so that u can if everything messes up, you can revert back to factory original settings (orange branded)

Sorry for troubling u with these q's!
Is it ? I thought that it is so that u can if everything messes up, you can revert back to factory original settings (orange branded)

Sorry for troubling u with these q's!

No, you're right - ideally it would be to revert back to Orange branded to return if it doesn't work. However, it seems that Orange haven't released any RUU (update files) so at the moment you can only revert to an unbranded (but also unrooted ROM). The reason for doing this I think is that rooting technically voids your warranty - I don't know about unbranding to be honest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5689
Original post by jayhamz
Desire S...no doubt good bargain!

thanks.

any more opinions? :smile:
Original post by jayhamz
V.call on skype is yet to be updated to other devices only few can Ex: Nexus S..

Oh I see, how peculiar..
Reply 5691
Original post by Zakir
thanks.

any more opinions? :smile:

if you want to spend more...then Motorola Atrix or better still Defy aint bad as well! and its cheap.
No, you're right - ideally it would be to revert back to Orange branded to return if it doesn't work. However, it seems that Orange haven't realised any RUU (update files) so at the moment you can only revert to an unbranded (but also unrooted ROM). The reason for doing this I think is that rooting technically voids your warranty - I don't know about unbranding to be honest.

Icccc..i'm thinking of creating a gold card for that just in case. Thanks a lot for your help and bearing with me mate! Although my rep is insignificant in comparison to urs, out of good will i will def rep u 2mro!

Thanks!
Icccc..i'm thinking of creating a gold card for that just in case. Thanks a lot for your help and bearing with me mate! Although my rep is insignificant in comparison to urs, out of good will i will def rep u 2mro!

Thanks!

That sounds like a good plan, and you're welcome. :smile:
Reply 5694
Original post by jayhamz
if you want to spend more...then Motorola Atrix or better still Defy aint bad as well! and its cheap.

hmmm...im looking at either Samsung or HTC to be honest...

any at £250 or less...
Reply 5695
Original post by Zakir
hey guys...

Out of those three i'd say desire S, but theres the orange-monte carlo which is coming out soon and im sure it was being retailed at around £160 or so. Someone on here should be able to confirm, but i'd check that out if i were you
Reply 5696
Original post by johnnn
Out of those three i'd say desire S, but theres the orange-monte carlo which is coming out soon and im sure it was being retailed at around £160 or so. Someone on here should be able to confirm, but i'd check that out if i were you

Hey, thanks. Hmm, not sure...i prefer 3.7" screens, find it too big otherwise lol

Are there any other ones you'd recommend..?
Reply 5698
hey guys..

was just reading some reviews on the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Some people have said that you can't install apps onto the memory card, and can only install them on its internal phone memory?

is that true?

thanks
That sounds like a good plan, and you're welcome. :smile:

Hello mate,

Sorry to trouble u all da time. Bassikly i downloaded da RUU u recommended and this is what it says :

Is there another RUU u would recommend plz mate? I'm running 32.48.00.32u_5.10.05.30 (baseband version) and build number is
2.17.61.3 CL274424 release keys.

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending