Turn on thread page Beta

Android OS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    "An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise," reads the terms and conditions attached to Apple's iPhone SDK. "No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Published APIs and built in interpreter(s)."

Basically, with iPhone, unless it works they way Apple tell you to, you can't write it. This does not exist on Android phones.

Edit: It means that the iPhone, as it stands, will never have Firefox or Flash Player for example.
    Right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    Hi guys,

So i am seriously debating between iphone and android devices and i've got a few q's.

- Android says that they have about 20,000 + apps, i can only see a handful here : http://www.android.com/market/paid.html
    where are the rest?!

-Games : How good are they on android in comparison to apple ones?

Thanks!
    Also if you want to gander through the apps available you can look here http://www.androlib.com/

and also in terms of paying for applications I saw a good infographic about a week ago which showed the paid/free app breakdown accross a range of different smartphones. Iphones were ~75% paid and 25% free and with android around 47% were free and 52% were paid for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Also if you want to gander through the apps available you can look here http://www.androlib.com/

and also in terms of paying for applications I saw a good infographic about a week ago which showed the paid/free app breakdown accross a range of different smartphones. Iphones were ~75% paid and 25% free and with android around 47% were free and 52% were paid for.
    Android: Where only 99% of apps exist! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    And I was trying to be careful that I didn't write that, I do further maths for goodness sake you would have thought I could add to a hundred

ReputationRep:
    :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    anyone here use cardiotrainer? do you think its accurate-seems abit too optimistic for me?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else get annoyed by the apple app adverts. I think the whole 'theres an app for everything' slogan is quite good. But what gets on my tits is the 'only on the iphone' part. It just seems to me to be false advertising, as the majority of the apps that they advertise are on android and other phones as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Does anyone else get annoyed by the apple app adverts. I think the whole 'theres an app for everything' slogan is quite good. But what gets on my tits is the 'only on the iphone' part. It just seems to me to be false advertising, as the majority of the apps that they advertise are on android and other phones as well.
    I guess they can justify it by saying that the "app store" is only on the iphone but yeah it can be quite confusing to the general public

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I guess they can justify it by saying that the "app store" is only on the iphone but yeah it can be quite confusing to the general public
    Yeah, I'm sure they have some kind of get out clause in legal terms. But it's just the fact that it pretty much says that you can only find these apps on the appstore for an iphone, which is just flat out wrong. But I guess it's hardley surprising coming from apple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Yeah, I'm sure they have some kind of get out clause in legal terms. But it's just the fact that it pretty much says that you can only find these apps on the appstore for an iphone, which is just flat out wrong. But I guess it's hardley surprising coming from apple.
    Too true

ReputationRep:
    There's a patent for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    There's a patent for that.
    haha. Apples patents are ridiculous, just shows the salaries of their legal attorneys

ReputationRep:
    Is there any news on 2.1 for HTC Hero? It came out in early January and it's now half way through March and we still don't have it or, as far as i'm aware, any news on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)
    Is there any news on 2.1 for HTC Hero? It came out in early January and it's now half way through March and we still don't have it or, as far as i'm aware, any news on it.
    It's looking like it may be April before we get it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)
    We'll probably have android 2.2 before it comes out

ReputationRep:
    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle7066924.ece

Or is this thread only for Android OS on mobile devices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)

It's predominantly about Android OS on mobile devices, but I'm sure that nobody will be opposed to news from other Android areas. Sounds quite promising.

ReputationRep:
    I saw this on Digg earlier -

Quite a rapid increase in market share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben25)
    I saw this on Digg earlier -

Quite a rapid increase in market share.
    I'm sure Apple saw something similar before they decided to sue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)

I originally started this for mobile devices, simply as I had not the foresight to see Android going to set top boxes. It's all Android though!

I'm liking the way the market is grasping Android with both hands. You're getting mobile phones, PMPs, set top boxes all running Android now. It wouldn't surprise me if an Android based TV came out sometime, especially with all these TVs with integrated online services coming out. Hell, even my current TV runs a basic form of Linux for it's menus.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.