The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Tali_91
Thankyou :smile:
I get so angry when I see things like that I just assume the worst and go on a rampage :biggrin:
x

you're welcome! I love the image of someone rampaging around! haha x
hi guys, I have just been told that we have to do our issue report for biology over xmas and so now am trying to think of some good vetty issues that I could right it about. DOes anyone have any ideas? thanks
Reply 202
Original post by bertiejess
hi guys, I have just been told that we have to do our issue report for biology over xmas and so now am trying to think of some good vetty issues that I could right it about. DOes anyone have any ideas? thanks

I think I did something about foot and mouth for mine. (bit of an obvious one! XD)
Maybe you could look on Defra or the BVA websites for ideas?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Loosy
I think I did something about foot and mouth for mine. (bit of an obvious one! XD)
Maybe you could look on Defra or the BVA websites for ideas?

Thank you - i was thinking about doing something on environmental mastitis. Do you think that would be ok?
Hi:smile:
Well i'm brand new and in year 11 now
wondering if anyone new any large animals or lambing placements in the west midlands?
I've only got kennels and stables and SA vet practice so :/
I know i've got ages but i'm a worrier:smile:
thanks
Reply 205
Original post by bertiejess
Thank you - i was thinking about doing something on environmental mastitis. Do you think that would be ok?

Environental mastitis sounds really interesting, and it does cost farmers a huge amount of money every year. I think the project has to be something quite current and topical though? (is it edexcel?) I could be wrong though. So you might have to be quite specific in how you word the title. Like: what are the current options available to dairy farmers in tacklig environmental mastitis. I know they're putting research into s strep uberis vaccine as well so I'd look into that. I hope this helps. :smile:

I did mine on badgers and TB. Predicatable but a massively relative and current topic, and it was pretty interesting (and helped me develop my own views on the issue).
Yes, it is edexcel this is really helpful thank you !!!!
I wonder what will happen to RVC gateway/it's entry requirements with EMA being scrapped o:
Reply 208
I'm migrating to here already :P
Ouch, what happened?
Original post by Alice.
I'm migrating to here already :P

:nooo: Don't leave the 2011 thread! We'll miss you!
Reply 211
Original post by gernumblies
:nooo: Don't leave the 2011 thread! We'll miss you!

Oh I'm gonna stay mainly on the 2011 thread :smile:
Just thought I'd pop in here, but it's v quiet aha
Lets start a convo. I'm a hopeful :tongue: what were you a level results & work experience? Sorry to hear you were rejected:frown:
Original post by Alice.
Oh I'm gonna stay mainly on the 2011 thread :smile:
Just thought I'd pop in here, but it's v quiet aha

i think most of the 2012 applicants are in the 2011 thread... :wink:

sorry about your rejections. have you asked for feedback yet?
Reply 214
Original post by schizopear
i think most of the 2012 applicants are in the 2011 thread... :wink:

sorry about your rejections. have you asked for feedback yet?

Yeah that's what I thought :smile:

I've got RVC feedback, they said it was my predicted grades.
Not contacted anyone else yet, I will do, but I'm guessing it'll be my predicted grades again :smile:

WE wise I have 3 years volunteering with the RDA, 2 weeks at 2 different vets, 3 weeks with goats, a few days at a yard, 4/5 weeks volunteering with the BHS and 1 week at a dairy farm.
In the next year I'm now planning to do at least 2 more weeks at vets, lambing, more goats, continue with RDA and kennels/cattery.
Also trying to get to Blue Cross and a Wildlife Park but you have to be 18 for both :frown:
Original post by Alice.
Yeah that's what I thought :smile:

I've got RVC feedback, they said it was my predicted grades.
Not contacted anyone else yet, I will do, but I'm guessing it'll be my predicted grades again :smile:

WE wise I have 3 years volunteering with the RDA, 2 weeks at 2 different vets, 3 weeks with goats, a few days at a yard, 4/5 weeks volunteering with the BHS and 1 week at a dairy farm.
In the next year I'm now planning to do at least 2 more weeks at vets, lambing, more goats, continue with RDA and kennels/cattery.
Also trying to get to Blue Cross and a Wildlife Park but you have to be 18 for both :frown:

at least when you have your actual grades that won't be an issue! :smile:
Reply 216
Original post by schizopear
at least when you have your actual grades that won't be an issue! :smile:

Yeah just being the grades is a positive and negative.
Positive in that next year I'll just have to get the grades, negative that that was the only thing stopping me being considered further :s-smilie:
Gosh do you ask to do these things?!
Note to self: don't take my dog to a vets in Spain.

You were seriously allowed to castrate an animal after a day of work experience? That's appalling - even with something simple like a castration, something could have gone wrong - I remember watching a cat castration and it continued bleeding when it really should have stopped, and had to be tied off again. Even if the procedure went correctly and someone was watching you, someone was keeping an eye on the animals breathing, you don't know about even basic things. Anything could have gone wrong, you could have bumped your arm into the surgical equipment, nobody noticed, and been performing surgery with non-sterile equipment - you wouldn't know any better, and maybe the nurse or the vet didn't notice, so you could introduce infection and all kinds of nasty stuff to the wound.

Why on earth would anybody pay for their animal to be castrated if it was a task you could do with no experience and no training? Seriously, if you're hoping to apply to a British university, I would think very carefully about admitting to having done that. I don't know, but I suspect it wouldn't go down very well.
Reply 219
Hello,
I felt a bit like a stalker having been 'watching' for months so thought I'd post to introduce myself and situation.
31 yrs old, been wanting to be a vet since I was 8. Was ill advised by a career woman at school to do 'alternative' degree after getting CDEE at A-levels in 97.
Did Animal Science degree at Newcastle, got a 2:2 (I know you're thinking why will she not give up on it already!).
So, I became a lecturer in animal welfare, animal physiology, biochemistry and animal health. I am teaching 1st and 3rd yr degree students.
I work in a zoo and have experience with 170 species of animals.
I have an MSc degree in Livestock Health and Production (from th RVC written for vet graduates).
I am re-sitting A-level biol (A* in AS level, A2 this yr) and Chemistry (AS in Jan, A2 nxt yr).
I have 6wks experience of working with animals in Africa, I have 18mths at liverpool vet school farm, 2wks at liverpool vet school, 5yrs at dairy farm, 9wks with chickens (not including having my own) not to mention lambing every year for 4yrs, a pet sitting business for 2yrs, 3yrs of owning and working with goats, ducks, turkeys and ponies plus 20yrs livery experience (2yrs as livery manager)
1d/wk for 3yrs at a vet practice and 2wks at easter school in liverpool with my students.
I am acquainted with nutritionists, endocrinologists, keepers of all types of exotics and farmers.

Why am I telling you all of this????

I applied to Notts and got rejected without interview because of the following:
- they dont consider my MSc to be a qualification??????
- I did not achieve A in chemistry first time round?????
- they question my commitment to becoming a vet????

Distraught is not the word. I have worked my a** off all of my life to get into vet school and I get that kind of response.

Vet entry 2012 to liverpool, fingers crossed.

Anyone else out there in similar situation please respond!
:-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending