The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Davidragon
That's only a half truth really. In some ways Oxbridge is far harder to get into than other medical schools, in other ways it's easier. Your application might look good to Oxbridge but you can get straight rejections from your other options because what they are looking for is either slightly or very different.

You basically just repeated what i said.
Reply 141
Original post by Melikeyflute
I'm not sure if you actually understand the meaning of a white lie...

I very much doubt she lied through the whole interview.
If you had actually gone through the application process for medicine you may know how thorough the interview process is and be able to comment on such a thing.
Reply 142
Original post by Sophie_girl
nobody likes a grass. why don't you mind your own business and concentrate on your own application and studies? if she did indeed lie (and you weren't there so what she says could be embellished somewhat), then that's her problem and will most likely come back to bite her.

i have absolutely no respect for snitches like you who do it to make themselves feel good and think they're taking some moral highground by reporting someone when what they've supposedly done should not concern you.

you are unpleasant. yuck.

What you've said is ludicrous.
There is a difference between embellishment and blatant lying.
I'm sure you think all lying is perfectly acceptable?

Yuck to you too, Bigot. :biggrin:
Reply 143
Original post by Surprises!
She is not my friend, I have only spoken to her a few times, however she finds it perfectly acceptable to brag about lying her way through an interview - so suits her. (K) I still have her facebook messages.

I don't feel that i'm going out of my way to hurt her. Why does she deserve an offer if the interviewers met a lie? If her lies influenced the interviewers decision, then why does she deserve a place over a borderline applicant on the waiting list who may or may not have lied?

:confused:

If she's not your friend and you have no concern or interest in her welfare, plus you have physical proof that she lied, then go on and report her.

If anything it just turns it from a cruel motivated act to a rather sad one, you have no evidence that the person who subsequently gets her offer hasn't lied on their application, or even that someone else will receiver her offer, they might just disqualify her and leave it at that. Then you've denied this girl a chance at studying medicine, something she's obviously passionate about if she was willing to lie, for no gain whatsoever, except for maybe some sort of smug satisfaction.

Doesn't that affect you as not balancing out in any way? I'm genuinely sorry if it doesn't.
Reply 144
Original post by goape
Lying / exaggeration is part of life. Have you seen university prospectuses, greatly exaggerating what it is like being there? Have you seen web pages for graduate job opportunities, full of corporate BS which wildly exaggerates / lies how interesting it is to work there? If they can do that, why can't we?

If they lie, why can't you?
I could fire the same argument right back at you:

X's a murderer. I'm angry. Why shouldn't I kill someone too?
similar boat here. I know someone who 'cut, copied and pasted' sections from a current Cambridge student's PS, as well as fabricating a large extent of their extracurricular activities. I think it bothers me far more that they stole bits of the PS word-for-word... but its the same principle really. Yes, its irking the hell out of me.
Reply 146
Original post by peasandqueues
similar boat here. I know someone who 'cut, copied and pasted' sections from a current Cambridge student's PS, as well as fabricating a large extent of their extracurricular activities. I think it bothers me far more that they stole bits of the PS word-for-word... but its the same principle really. Yes, its irking the hell out of me.

That would have been spotted surely. :confused:
Original post by goape

Perhaps. But in the end I think they will be caught out or otherwise they will find that the course is not for them.

If you have to get in via underhanded means it suggests a lack of personal drive or initiative on their part. This will surely catch up with them in time.
Reply 148
Original post by goape

I read somewhere that if it is found that 10% of one's PS is copied, they will be disqualified. Also, they may have just played around with the words.
Original post by fri'chickenisha
Medical schools don't base their offers on who people have met on their work experience placements. They probably couldn't care less about extra curriculars either. As you know, medicine offers are like gold dust. Admissions have interviewed thousands of people and can probably spot a budding doctor from a mile off.

They want someone who's smart, personable and hard-working enough to deal with the workload. She must have been special enough to deserve an offer and I doubt you showing them Facebook messages would be enough to retract an offer anyway.

No offence, but what you're saying is incredibly childish and is likely to be rooted in jealousy. You've lied before in your life. So don't judge her.

I disagree with almost all of this.

Regardless of how much you think it true, not all lies are the same. Lying about your work experience to get into medical school isn't the same as lying about doing your homework. Doctors are expected to be honest and have integrity. Everyone lies, but lying about something this big is different.

You are also wrong about work experience. Medic applicant break their backs trying to get experience because a.) it shows their dedication and b.) you really learn a lot from it. Getting that experience and drawing lessons from them makes you a better candidate. If you just pretend you haven't changed, you're just regurgitating a story that has no bearing on your actual life experience. If universities didn't think it was important they wouldn't ask (and pretty much all of them do).

The same goes for extra-curricular, to show you are actually a well rounded person and can apply life skills learnt elsewhere to your future profession. This is all stuff we think about when we apply. If it wasn't important, there'd be no reason to lie about it.

Being a doctor is more than just being smart and personable. If you are willing to lie through your teeth to get a place, what does that say about your integrity? You seem to be under the impression that if you get good grades, turn up to the interview, smile and talk pleasantly then you get a place. That's not true. The reason they thought she was 'special' was because of the person she fabricated for the sake of getting in.

I find this whole "snitching is bad" far more childish than any sentiment of trying to do the right thing. I honestly can't see how anyone can think this sort of behave is justified and should be rewarded.

lieing doesnt end somenes life...murdering someone does...your arguement is invalid...your a miserable person...must be that time of month
Reply 151

Bit of a difference there. In one scenario, a crime has been committed. :rolleyes:
On the other hand, corporate BS is entirely legal. (furthermore, it's a flawed analogy. X would have to murder me for it to be valid, at which point I can't retaliate...)

Note I'm not advocating lies such as lying about doing a work experience placement she never attended for example. But to exaggerate the extent of the tasks she did on placement is perfectly valid and normal, nor is it something that can be effectively checked.
Reply 152
Original post by DarkTitan
lieing doesnt end somenes life...murdering someone does...your arguement is invalid...your a miserable person...must be that time of month

Lying* Anyways..
Precisely. Not all actions are equivalent. Similarly, not all lies are equivalent. If you feel that dishonest candidates are better candidates then that's fine, but I dont quite see how that would make me a miserable person.
I'd assume if she was able to lie that well then she understood what she was talking about and would probably be fine- it just sounds like she couldn't get the relevant experience or something, and everyone embellishes their extra curricular.

Or it was just modesty- she probably felt like she blagged her way through and couldn't believe she got in. I honestly believe people who do medicine really need to calm down about the competition and focus on their own goals- there is way too much petty drama amongst all the medics I know.
Meeting suicidal patients in wards?...Never thought of that one! She knows how to talk the talk...which is required of medicine esp when dealing with patients...she totally deserves the spot...why are you getting involved in something she EARNED...yes she earned it...and yet your here telling everyone what you think she deserves?...Your a dictator in the making

Lying about experience isn't earning anything. It's an insult to everyone who actually but the hours in during work experience/volunteer to actually better themselves.

At the end of the day, if the uni is cool with her lying then fine. OP can't give out the rejection herself. It's up to the uni to decide what should be done after they consider the truth of the situation. And their decision will probably be what the person actually deserves.
Original post by Davidragon
Lying about experience isn't earning anything. It's an insult to everyone who actually but the hours in during work experience/volunteer to actually better themselves.

At the end of the day, if the uni is cool with her lying then fine. OP can't give out the rejection herself. It's up to the uni to decide what should be done after they consider the truth of the situation. And their decision will probably be what the person actually deserves.

Talking...is a skill...to talk effectively and convince is one aswell. The government is also an insult to the people who work for their meat (or vegs for those who r vegetarians), having free holidays to other countries to shake the hands of some other wise guy.
Lying* Anyways..
Precisely. Not all actions are equivalent. Similarly, not all lies are equivalent. If you feel that dishonest candidates are better candidates then that's fine, but I dont quite see how that would make me a miserable person.

Ooooh...spelling correction...watchout people...we have a badass over here

If you have never told a lie in your life...then you would have reasonable grounds on accusing her of lieing...otherwise you are a hypocrite.
Talking...is a skill...to talk effectively and convince is one aswell. The government is also an insult to the people who work for their meat (or vegs for those who r vegetarians), having free holidays to other countries to shake the hands of some other wise guy.

Being convincing might be important, but for Medicine far less so than having integrity of character. Being a convincing liar isn't shouldn't be enough to get in to medical school.

You can't justify things that are wrong by saying other injustice happens. That doesn't make it okay.
I read somewhere that if it is found that 10% of one's PS is copied, they will be disqualified. Also, they may have just played around with the words.

Original post by goape

Yep, they played around with the words massively (by chopping and changing it around, adding on a couple of words) and it was for a different course/uni (although they did similar subjects at A-level, plus theres loads of overlap within the humanities/social sciences) but a couple of paragraphs were pretty much exactly the same. Granted, they added in lots of their own made-up activities for about 2/3rds of it... but it still bugs me nevertheless. I don't think she'll get found out; she's got an offer from a top uni now.
Reply 159
I saw someone cheat during an AS exam last June. He was using his phone. Didn't snitch on him but on results day he came out with E's and U's. His problem, not mine.

Latest

Trending

Trending