The Student Room Group

Teach First 2011 application / assessment centre

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Ok, I don't know if I should despair right about now. Because I applied on 1st June night. And I still haven't heard from them. Do they send a rejection email or something?
Reply 461
Original post by Maitrayee
Ok, I don't know if I should despair right about now. Because I applied on 1st June night. And I still haven't heard from them. Do they send a rejection email or something?

Hi Maitrayee,

I don't think you should worry so much. They get back to people based on their subject that they're going for.

The other thing i would say is that at the AC you tend to find quite a lot of people going for the same subject. So they seem to try to group the same people going for the same subject together.
Reply 462
Everyone,

I have also created a new 2012 Teach First thread for new applicants to discuss their application.

So check maybe we could continue discussion there - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1669204
Original post by star2899

Original post by star2899
I applied on the 2nd of June.

I got my email for the AC yesterday, mine is in July. Yes, the application form is the same as last year.

I've got a similar background to Crania!

Hi Star, just wondering what date in July your AC is on?

Thank you
Reply 464
Congrats to those already with places!
I have an assessment centre coming up but I'm a bit worried because the subject I have chosen, (English), I haven't studied since A Level. My degree was in politics and French and I've done post-grad stuff since so it is a long time since I was in an English lesson!
Is anybody else applying for something they only did to A Level? And do you think this will be a big disadvantage in the process/subject knowledge audit?
Thanks!
Anyone else with an AC on July 14th? :smile:
Reply 466
Anyone got the Assessment Centre on the 10th of August?
Did anyone go to the pre application interview? I now have to meet with the recruiter. I am scared!!
Reply 468
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
Did anyone go to the pre application interview? I now have to meet with the recruiter. I am scared!!

I don't think it's an interview...isn't it more like an opportunity for you to ask the recruiter questions about the scheme and application process?
Original post by Becca
I don't think it's an interview...isn't it more like an opportunity for you to ask the recruiter questions about the scheme and application process?

I hope so but you know how it works, it will be in your favour or not when they look at the application form since they have met you before hand.
Reply 470
I hope so but you know how it works, it will be in your favour or not when they look at the application form since they have met you before hand.

Yeah but it's not scary! I went for coffee with my recruiter and it was a really relaxed thing and a good opportunity.
Original post by Becca
Yeah but it's not scary! I went for coffee with my recruiter and it was a really relaxed thing and a good opportunity.

Did you bring anything?
shall I bring my CV?
I have got my compentancy questions printed, so she can have a check over.
Reply 472
Did you bring anything?
shall I bring my CV?
I have got my compentancy questions printed, so she can have a check over.

Erm no, I don't think I did! I just brought the questions in my head :p:
Original post by Becca
Erm no, I don't think I did! I just brought the questions in my head :p:

shoot, I must be over prepared!!

basically the only reason I have to meet up for coffee is because I left the form half way completed a week ago. so the person kept calling asking if i need any help.

I should really do it straight away as DT seems popular. which subject are you doing? I wouldnt mind teaching mathematics or geography.
Reply 474
shoot, I must be over prepared!!

basically the only reason I have to meet up for coffee is because I left the form half way completed a week ago. so the person kept calling asking if i need any help.

I should really do it straight away as DT seems popular. which subject are you doing? I wouldnt mind teaching mathematics or geography.

No, take stuff you'd like help with, it's a good idea!
I completed TF in 2010, I taught MFL. :smile:
Reply 475
Original post by ALFLS6

Original post by ALFLS6
My assessment day is 25th august - very nervous! does anyone know if the A.C. has Air Conditioning? I have a terrible feeling my eyes will dry up and I won't be able to see what's going on.
Is anyone applying to be a brand manager aswell as applying to 2011 cohort?

Hi I just came accross your post and was wondering if you attended an assessment centre to be a Teach First brand manager? If so do you have any advice you could offer me as I have mine in a few days and am extremely nervous.

Thank you!
KM
Reply 476
hkh
Reply 477
Original post by UmmekA
I was prompted to apply sooner so we could get first dibs on region! |I'm gutted. They spend the next year allocating us to a school....we r only now asked to submit answers for the CV. Gutted BUT I called the NW region yesterday and our regional contact should call us this week and they will go through mitigating circumstances and the next steps required to changing the region. I believe I should be getting a call tomorrow. Will see what happens.

I understand that this is a really old post, but I was wondering what your experience of changing regions were? Were they accommodating, or annoyed? :confused: I want to change from SE to london because my personal circumstances have changed, but I'm worried london is really popular...although I probably will get allocated an unpopular subject which might help!
Reply 478
Hi

Please consider your options carefully.

If Teach First make it difficult to adjust to your circumstances then ask if you can defer for a year.

I was left reeling after my Teach First experience and I would recommend taking a year in any case just to consider your career options. I am now happy working in social housing and find that this meets my desires to work in an ‘ethical’ sector whilst maintaining a good work-life balance.

You won’t hear from many people who left Teach First early because they get people to sign an agreement (gag order) which says they will not discuss their departure, especially not with any media outlets. I wonder if Teach First would be willing to publish how many ‘participants’ leave earlier than their two years?

Are you prepared for...

Joining a cult- Ready for chanting Teach First mantras at the summer school? Learning a whole new cult like language where you’re a ‘participant’ and your betters are ‘ambassadors’? Ready to wear the Teach First outfits at all times when you’re not dressed professionally? Ready to adore Bret and hang off his every word? ...the ultimate Teach First icon... Teach First are probably searching for this forum reply right now and seeing how they can suppress it I kid you not!

A lack of support although not everyone experiences this, you could be thrown into a school where it is lacking in physical structure, resources, management and care. Be prepared to meet with a school staff displaying: apathy, genuine hatred of the children you seek to help, serious mental health issues induced by the working environment, including: nervous breakdowns, pathological liars, extreme anxiety, OCD, depression, suicidal tendencies. You will be expected to cope with this and excel.

No time no time for yourself, no time to eat, no time to prepare lessons, no time to sleep, no time with loved ones, no time to study, no time to think, no time with pupils, no time to mark books... the list is endless.

I met some great people during the summer school but the closest friends (6) I made left Teach First either in their first or second term and one managed to stay 1 year and 3 terms. Even the people who did stay and had extremely supportive schools (think pre-planned lessons, ample resources, supportive staff network...none of which is a given) struggled and were miserable, at best, and extremely depressed and anxious at worst, for extended periods of time.

If you are sure you want to go ahead then make sure you
1) Have somewhere good to stay family would be ideal so they can cook for you
2) Choose a subject which isn’t essential to a child’s success: history, geography, business studies or a language perhaps
3) Consider other careers are there any other grad schemes? Would it be better to defer a year and become a teach assistant to see what you might be letting yourself in for?
4) Mentally prepare for the most stressful period in your life.

GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending