The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

YES! My teachers gave me AAA prediction on ucas. Has really made my day because it means i can apply this year. What a relief :smile:
Reply 1781
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
YES! My teachers gave me AAA prediction on ucas. Has really made my day because it means i can apply this year. What a relief :smile:

Congratulations! I'm sending my application to my head of 6th form tonight, hope to have it with UCAS by Wednesday!
Original post by Cetacea
Congratulations! I'm sending my application to my head of 6th form tonight, hope to have it with UCAS by Wednesday!

I'm hoping to have mine sent this week :smile: how many drafts of your personal statement did you do?
Original post by ela_2011
Is anybody else in my position where they failed to achieve their grades for vet med and so are resitting and taking a gap year? if so what are you doing on your gap year?

hey :smile: i'm applying this year but i'm resitting the AS Biology year and A2 Chemistry year in college! Got B's on both subjects missing out on A's in both by a little less than 2%!! was so upset! This summer i've just organised loads more work experience! What are you doing then? :smile:
Reply 1784
Original post by ela_2011
Is anybody else in my position where they failed to achieve their grades for vet med and so are resitting and taking a gap year? if so what are you doing on your gap year?

me! i'm doing retakes up untill january and carrying on work experience e.g. kennels and vets and then going lambing in april and trying to find l/a vets but my ucas has already been sent off soooo. i also want to do some animal conservation work for self fullfilment or charity work etc but i'm just concentrating on my retakes atm and hoping somewhere still wants me! what did you get on your BMAT last year?
Reply 1785
Fell out with my form tutor on the same day he's gonna write my reference, woops. On a brighter note I finally finished my personal statement :biggrin: Ready to send it tomorrow... SO SCARED. :|

Original post by hannahwah
Yes i was!!

Oooh what did you think? :biggrin: I loved it! The new bits are amazing!
Reply 1786
Original post by Imlovingmyradio
I'm hoping to have mine sent this week :smile: how many drafts of your personal statement did you do?

I didn't do very many - 3 or 4 at most. I was happy with it by then and so were my teachers, so I didn't particularly want to spend all my time on it when I also have A2s and BMAT to worry about! Where are you applying?
Original post by KateMP
Fell out with my form tutor on the same day he's gonna write my reference, woops. On a brighter note I finally finished my personal statement :biggrin: Ready to send it tomorrow... SO SCARED. :|

Oooh what did you think? :biggrin: I loved it! The new bits are amazing!

Yeah i thought it was really good! what group were you in? I think i was in the two blue dots....the new building is amazing but i dont like how far away from the centre it is!! A
Original post by dizzeedollee
With the Edinburgh WES form, how brief are we supposed to be? Paragraphs or bullet points? xD

sorry to be annoying but i have to push this again xD would it look unprofessional/informal to use bullet points or should i just write a brief paragraph on what i did? And how brief exactly are we supposed to be? (i.e 'i helped with feeding, cleaning, etc' or 'i helped with the preparation of the feed and also the feeding process'?)
Reply 1789
Original post by hannahwah
Yeah i thought it was really good! what group were you in? I think i was in the two blue dots....the new building is amazing but i dont like how far away from the centre it is!! A

1 blue dot :smile: I agree. All the vet schools I've visited have been far away though :frown: Glasgow seemed to be the nearest to the centre out of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Nottingham and Liverpool! One of the reasons Glasgow is my first choice :tongue: I'm kinda scared I'd get bored that far away from the city centre :/
Original post by dizzeedollee
sorry to be annoying but i have to push this again xD would it look unprofessional/informal to use bullet points or should i just write a brief paragraph on what i did? And how brief exactly are we supposed to be? (i.e 'i helped with feeding, cleaning, etc' or 'i helped with the preparation of the feed and also the feeding process'?)

I snaffled a copy of a vet's personal statement from their application in 2000, now I know this might be outdated now BUT they used bullet points (which were very detailed and concise). She got offers from all of the unis she applied to - 3 vet degrees and 2 zoology.

It's not advisable but if you think you can really, really genuinely pull this off then give it a shot.

Just realised this is for work experience forms, oh well haha! XD
brief bullet points would be fine for the work exp form, they just want to know roughly what it was you were doing. Good luck everyone, you still have a while before the deadline so dont rush sending in your aplication, make sure your completely happy (as much as you can be) with it first :smile:
What vaccinations do you think they expect us to know about if they ask us at interview?
deffo cat and dog vaccs, horses maybe if you've done experience at a yard/equine practice and possibly some farm animals depending on what species you've done i would say :smile:

and thank you everyone for your help on the edinburgh wes :smile:
So if I learn about Canine Distemper, Canine Parvovirus and Canine Adenovirus, Parainfluenza, Bordetella, Leptospirosis, Lyme and Rabies, would this be enough vaccinations for dogs?
Rejoining the convo pretty late on but hey ho. :biggrin:

I've applied to Edinburgh, Liverpool, RVC Gateway and Nott. Gateway. Edinburgh is my faaaavourite, but I'm not too likely to get into the 5 year courses.

I came out with ABBC AS grades (Bio, Physics, Eng Lang&Lit and Chem respectively). REALLY disappointed with chem, I did so well in lessons and was quite good at it really but I always let myself down on the exams. So I'm resitting module 1, possible module 2.

Sent off my UCAS on the 23rd of September, college hasn't done the reference yet so I'm still waiting for the unis to send me stuff.
Reply 1796
Original post by schizopear
i'm not applying to edinburgh but had a look at the form and it does say 'brief'... personally, i'd go with bullet points. it's clearer and i don't think that writing in prose really adds anything in this situation.

Original post by Rachhyyyy
brief bullet points would be fine for the work exp form, they just want to know roughly what it was you were doing. Good luck everyone, you still have a while before the deadline so dont rush sending in your aplication, make sure your completely happy (as much as you can be) with it first :smile:

Thanks for the info on the Edinburgh form - I was also wondering how specific they wanted the duties to be!
Arghhhh, just received an email from liverpool saying they've got my ucas application, scary timesssssssssssssss D:
Hi, has anyone that has applied to Nottingham had an e-mail to say they'd received the application, or got the questionnaire? Many thanks!
Reply 1799
oh god damn it why won't my school hurry up with the reference? I was the first in the year to submit it to them and that was a week ago!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending